Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958230 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7395 on: January 28, 2014, 07:11:40 pm »

Well shivs meaning shanks are tiny and sneaky and aren't heavily armed and armored and don't make any noise at all until you stick them in someone's ribs.

Or float.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: January 28, 2014, 07:20:36 pm »

But I love my adorable little plasma death-tanks...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: January 28, 2014, 11:33:42 pm »

Wrex is running a game which uses the Only War rules, but they're basically the same.
checking that out :3
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: January 29, 2014, 12:47:40 am »

Day 2 of the Normal run has reached its end. Conclusions:

-I am OP as fuck and should never, ever play Normal again.
-X-Com continues to give out silly names.
-The difference between shackled and unshackled AI has become extremely pronounced for me after a crash mission in which I managed to blunder into every single mob at once and got my Mk.3 MEC mindjacked. I got away with only a single injury, which would not have been the case on Classic at all.
-I now see the major downside to MECs: They have organic brains and thus can be mindjacked. I'm pretty sure a mindjacked MEC could take you from victory to Code Black in a single turn.
-Fighting with EXALT has gone well, too well really. Even their Elites aren't that much of a threat. Still haven't found their base, but it's getting there (one of my hints was "in a nation you can play in Civilization 5", don't even know what to think).
-My belief that Vahlen is a sadistic freak mad scientist who only got hired because she was the only person in her field and gets off on torturing aliens has only been further validated by the new content. There is something deeply wrong with that woman.
-The Base Attack happened, that was fun, especially how it starting happened. The Base Defense soldiers weren't that bad either, though they mostly died near the end.
-Mechtoids are the most hilarious thing I've ever feared.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: January 29, 2014, 12:50:51 am »

How so?

I almost thought you stole an image one of Beagle's fans took off of his stream, so similar were the two images.  Turns out the interceptor in his game had slightly less health remaining, but otherwise they're almost identical images (including where the camera is over the globe).

The context of Beagle's image was that, earlier in the campaign his fans were complaining that he kept selling weapon fragments and he need a single spacebuck, so he sold one weapon fragment to fuck with them.  A stream or two later he had 7 nations left the council, and needed to build firestorms.  But he was short the resources he needed... one weapon fragment short, to be exact.  Then a UFO came (a supply barge) and he wondered if not having firestorms would lose him the campaign.  The intercept barely succeeded and everyone started freaking out.

Then a LOS glitch in the recovery mission resulted in 2/3rds of the squad dying, most of them Colonels.  So the 00.1s remaining intercept almost cost him the campaign after all, just for a different reason.  Somehow he held on long enough to build up a second squad... this is on I/I BTW.  Beagle is very good at the game.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7400 on: January 29, 2014, 08:27:29 am »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: January 29, 2014, 10:16:58 am »

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: January 29, 2014, 11:09:10 am »

-X-Com continues to give out silly names.
Still not as bad as "Cookie". Or "Socks".

-My belief that Vahlen is a sadistic freak mad scientist who only got hired because she was the only person in her field and gets off on torturing aliens has only been further validated by the new content. There is something deeply wrong with that woman.
She'd fit in with Bay12, eh?

-Mechtoids are the most hilarious thing I've ever feared.
...Aw.

Then a LOS glitch in the recovery mission resulted in 2/3rds of the squad dying, most of them Colonels.  So the 00.1s remaining intercept almost cost him the campaign after all, just for a different reason.
...What's the connection?

-I am OP as fuck and should never, ever play Normal again.
How in the world did you manage to defeat that mission title?
With tactics, anyone can overcome fate.
If they're good, you can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
If they're bad...well, look at my luck.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: January 29, 2014, 12:08:45 pm »

Ah.

And if he hadn't sold the weapon fragments, he would have built the Firestorm, shot it down faster, and still lost the colonels?
And wouldn't he have sent them tothe landed UFO anyways, encountering heavier resistance?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: January 29, 2014, 01:35:03 pm »

All for want of a nail.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: January 30, 2014, 12:15:38 am »

Day 3 of the Normal run has concluded. Not the most exciting of days, thanks to the Firestorm Bottleneck.

Conclusions:
-I can never overstate that MECs are OP as fuck. Seriously. And this was from the start of the session, she has at least 20 more kills now.
-Renaming medals remains a source of great joviality.
-Upon returning from an EXALT infiltration, Double Down informs me that she has acquired an invisible handheld EMP cannon. Not wanting to crash the game or corrupt my Ironman save by trying to take this shit into battle, I tell them to knock it off and give them their guns back. This happens every time I make the primary weapon of an infiltrator available for use.
-Did the Greenland mission, disappointed. There was not nearly enough skittering or exponential growth, and it could have stood to build up the tension for a few turns of silence more. I was hoping to burst into a room and find a true hive of Chryssalids, then run away dodging Council airstrikes as they try to keep the threat contained without killing you all. Oh well.
-Council gave me a D rank for a month because I allowed the Overseer craft to repeatedly escape, lacking a Firestorm to kill it with. Not exactly fair. In other news, late-game research is really hard when you don't have any weapon fragments.
-Got my Psi and Gene Lab on, the EXALT prisoner has done well in both. Gave my main sniper Thin Mint legs just for the hell of it, but it's actually kind of useful. Sadly, it only gives the Thin Mint animation when jumping down, and not up. Disappointing.
-Narrowing down the EXALT base is taking a while, but soon....
-China, you treacherous fucking dog. I put X-Com in your region, give you early satellite coverage, and play Slingshot, to be repaid like this!?

To-do list for tomorrow:
-Murder EXALT
-Reprimand Chinese Council rep
-Shoot down the Overseer
-Mindjack an Ethereal
-Top off tech tree and foundry tree
-Convince Vahlen to stop replaying the recordings of her interrogations over the base speakers
-Prepare for the return of Sectopods
-SHIV-COM
-Gene-hack everybody during SHIV-COM
-Inform the Alliums they came to the wrong fucking planet
No Gods, No Masters.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: January 30, 2014, 12:43:25 am »

In other news, late-game research is really hard when you don't have any weapon fragments.
True and sad.

To-do list for tomorrow:
-Mindjack an Ethereal
Is it easier to do this in EW? Last time I tried, I got a 2% chance of mindcontrolling a 1hp Ethereal :/

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: January 30, 2014, 01:17:25 am »

IIRC, I've had about 30% on a full health Ethereal.   Didn't work, but it was worth a shot.

Also, when MC'ing a allium, and it gets killed, their weapons don't assplode.  Elite mutons always work for me, on the other hand, I now have far too many heavy plasma and not enough weapon fragments.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: January 30, 2014, 02:42:41 am »

Quote from: That Screenshot
The Exalt base is an a country you can play in Civ V.

You know, and I thought the other hints were silly.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: January 30, 2014, 02:52:30 am »

Tis an amazing 4th wall breaking hint though :P
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 625