Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958164 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7380 on: January 27, 2014, 11:27:03 pm »

The acronym is also a.... what's the word for an acronym with a dual meaning?

Anyway, a shiv is a knife, rather fitting, and as stated earlier HIV would not work out so well as an acronym.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: January 27, 2014, 11:27:36 pm »

I think we all see the magnitude of the problem here. SHIVs are too light, actual super-heavy vehicles aren't going to fit on the Skyranger, and MECs still have squishy parts.

Gentlemen, we need a new class of weapon, a missing link, a metal gear to bridge the gap between infantry and artillery. And with us using their fancy toys, those xeno scum will regret ever setting foot upon the pale blue dot.

...someone write this fanfic. Or draw fanart
For some reason I fail to imagine X-Com fielding Metal Gear. All I can imagine is Metal Slug...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: January 27, 2014, 11:41:33 pm »

SHIVs can't take cover, which is necessary to operate the node as well as some other things.

This is fixed in Enemy Within. SHIVs and MECs can retrieve meld and disable power nodes or bombs. Neither can open doors though. Gotta burst through doors SWAT team style.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: January 27, 2014, 11:50:34 pm »

This is fixed in Enemy Within. SHIVs and MECs can retrieve meld and disable power nodes or bombs. Neither can open doors though. Gotta burst through doors SWAT team style.
Ah, thought so :3

Also, thought of running the XCOM project along the lines of the Deathwatch, since the setups seem quite similar (small force insertions, combined tactics from different armies united under one banner, revolutionary weapons that everyone wants later). Thoughts?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: January 28, 2014, 12:07:45 am »

I think we all see the magnitude of the problem here. SHIVs are too light, actual super-heavy vehicles aren't going to fit on the Skyranger, and MECs still have squishy parts.

Gentlemen, we need a new class of weapon, a missing link, a metal gear to bridge the gap between infantry and artillery. And with us using their fancy toys, those xeno scum will regret ever setting foot upon the pale blue dot.

...someone write this fanfic. Or draw fanart
For some reason I fail to imagine X-Com fielding Metal Gear. All I can imagine is Metal Slug...
LMG = HEAVY MASHEEN GUN
Rocket Launcher = RAWKET LAWN CHAIR
Shotgun = SHAWTGUN
Blaster Bomb = ENEMY CHASER
And so on and so forth...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: January 28, 2014, 12:47:30 am »

SHIVs can't take cover, which is necessary to operate the node as well as some other things.

While regular soldiers burst through doors SWAT style, I think the way MEC's go through door would be better described as "Kool-Aid Man style".
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7386 on: January 28, 2014, 12:49:32 am »

While regular soldiers burst through doors SWAT style, I think the way MEC's go through door would be better described as "Kool-Aid Man style".
I'm pretty sure Sectopods can go through doors. Every unit counts as one tile and thus can walk through doors.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7387 on: January 28, 2014, 08:13:31 am »

The nightmares? They never go away, Commander. Once you've shot down your first UFO, tasted the exhilaration, the tension... it all becomes part of you. Once you've defeated your first sectopod... it never sleeps again. You crave ever bigger research projects, ever larger hordes of rookies. As a member of XCOM, I'd think you would have realized that by now. You care nothing for power, or money, or even sex. The only thing that satisfies your cravings is killing alliums! All I've done is give you a place for it. I've given you a reason to live.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: January 28, 2014, 08:18:15 am »

We really need a conversion mod of X-COM into Metal Slug.

Four soldiers, unlimited ammo, rawket lawnchairs, hordes of traitor military followed by tentacled Martians. SHIV is now a Metal Slug, complete with self destruct.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: January 28, 2014, 08:45:30 am »

Four soldiers, unlimited ammo, rawket lawnchairs, hordes of traitor military followed by tentacled Martians. SHIV is now a Metal Slug, complete with self destruct.
I was actually thinking the other way around, and with the original X-Com. Tanks used as Slugs, default weapon is a Laser Pistol, with various Autocannon/HEs, Heavy Plasmas, and the like.

And any one hit kills your trooper, just like in X-Com!
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: January 28, 2014, 11:14:11 am »

I was actually thinking the other way around, and with the original X-Com. Tanks used as Slugs, default weapon is a Laser Pistol, with various Autocannon/HEs, Heavy Plasmas, and the like.

And any one hit kills your trooper, just like in X-Com!

If that was the case, does anybody think the Sand Simon (http://metalslug.wikia.com/wiki/Sand_Simon) would work as the starting tank, and the Metal Slug use the, ahem, "Plasma" and "Blaster Launcher" slots?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: January 28, 2014, 05:50:17 pm »

I still don't understand why you'd want to play on normal. It'd be too easy.
You're making me feel bad.
Don't feel bad, you just haven't been educated in the art of the Beagle.
Sure, it's EU (Though haven't you said you only have EU?), the only thing that doesn't really work in EW is the conga-line, since aliens can overwatch upon discovery opposed to doing nothing.
Indeed. (Although I don't know why "Move around" counts as "Nothing." especially for bastards like the cryssalids.)

Super heavy? Infantry vehicle? I unno. That doesn't make much sense. But eh! c:
It's heavily armored, meant to take the place of an infantry, microvehicular in nature, and "super" makes it sound cooler.
Also, a shiv is a kind of weapon.

The acronym is also a.... what's the word for an acronym with a dual meaning?
A backronym is an "acronym" where the words were chosen to fit the acronym.

Also, thought of running the XCOM project along the lines of the Deathwatch, since the setups seem quite similar (small force insertions, combined tactics from different armies united under one banner, revolutionary weapons that everyone wants later). Thoughts?
Wrex is running a game which uses the Only War rules, but they're basically the same.

I'm pretty sure Sectopods can go through doors. Every unit counts as one tile and thus can walk through doors.
We were talking about opening doors, though.
And I'm kinda sad that nothing is ever multitile. I'm sure there were technical limitations or somesuch, but seriously, a SHIV could live up to its name better as a 4x4 and sectopods and such would be even more terrifying if they were twice as big in every dimension.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7392 on: January 28, 2014, 06:29:48 pm »

We were talking about opening doors, though.
And I'm kinda sad that nothing is ever multitile. I'm sure there were technical limitations or somesuch, but seriously, a SHIV could live up to its name better as a 4x4 and sectopods and such would be even more terrifying if they were twice as big in every dimension.
Apparently the original X-Com had Cyberdiscs and Sectopods as 2x2. It was glitchy as hell. Supposedly, it was possible to mind-control one tile of the four tiles. This would immobilize it as you had it shoot itself to death.

I've never played the original X-Com, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7393 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:25 pm »

SHIVs seem to be the polar opposite of shivs.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 625