Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959677 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4635 on: October 29, 2012, 01:51:12 am »

You hear so many complaints about "missed a 95% chance" because people assume 95% == 100%.

A 95% hit chance means, on average, 1-in-20 shots will miss. After firing roughly 13 shots at 95% hit chance, you have a 50% chance of missing one.

So, yeah. Don't count on anything less than a 100% shot. (And apparently, even a 100% attack has a veeeeery slim chance of failing, probably due to a less-than comparison instead of a less-than-or-equals comparison. So, don't count on anything.  ;) )

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: October 29, 2012, 02:03:26 am »

I've only ever seen a rocket scatter once, and at worse it was simply ineffective rather than contrary to my goals.

On release day, classic ironman, I lost the first VIP mission to a scattering rocket launcher hitting a crate directly in front of my heavy.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: October 29, 2012, 02:20:44 am »

You hear so many complaints about "missed a 95% chance" because people assume 95% == 100%.

A 95% hit chance means, on average, 1-in-20 shots will miss. After firing roughly 13 shots at 95% hit chance, you have a 50% chance of missing one.

So, yeah. Don't count on anything less than a 100% shot. (And apparently, even a 100% attack has a veeeeery slim chance of failing, probably due to a less-than comparison instead of a less-than-or-equals comparison. So, don't count on anything.  ;) )

Wait what? No! After you get twenty 95% shots right, you still have only 5% chance to miss.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: October 29, 2012, 02:25:54 am »

Probability is hard m'kay.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: October 29, 2012, 02:51:04 am »

The tricky thing to remember is that if something has already happened then it's 100% certain. So if you roll two sixes in a row, it doesn't make you less likely to roll a third six, even if rolling three sixes in a row is unlikely.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: October 29, 2012, 03:06:51 am »

Finally beat the game. On Normal, with Ironman mode on (without me dying.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: October 29, 2012, 07:36:31 am »

Except that he said "There is a 50% chance of one of those shots missing", not the next one.

So the correction is silly.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: October 29, 2012, 07:42:42 am »

I see after, not those
But you may be right about the intended meaning. Apologies.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: October 29, 2012, 07:45:45 am »

"after... of missing one" Meaning that after you've 13 shots, there will be a 50% chance of a miss in that "set". I'm not really seeing how you're getting "next shot" from that. :P

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: October 29, 2012, 07:48:01 am »

Regardless, while I would normally be in agreement with the dickery of statistics in that a 99% shot is by no means guaranteed, the sheer number of "two 98%/88% shots" or "four 75% shots" missing seems a bit unusually high...  With huge numbers of instances I could understand, but this is just one small piece of Bay12 we're getting reports from here.  That and a couple 100% misses makes me think that there's probably something just a mee bizarre about this game's hit calculations.

Also, why does this LPer not listen to me when I'm shouting at his recorded videos?  It makes no sense.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: October 29, 2012, 07:56:03 am »

Well, apparently, the only "funky stuff" going on there is the game cheating to make such occurrences /less/ likely, by secretly favoring the player when the dice are rolled.

There could be a bug as well, but honestly we'd have to do some proper statistical analysis first.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4646 on: October 29, 2012, 08:06:26 am »

I want to play this with a crowd of Bay12'ers watching that will run my every move through the wringer. I probably wouldn't even get past the first month.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: October 29, 2012, 08:16:44 am »

There's no bugs.  Yes, everybody has stories of missing two 85s in a row, but nobody talks to you about the dozens and dozens of 85s that hit just fine.

And I'm aware that the human brain, more adept at seeing patterns than evaluating probability, tends to assume that 90%=100 and that any kind of trend is a conspiracy, but that should go into account when they're deciding game mechanics.  This is Game Funology 101.  With gunshots, I'm always aware of the chance to miss, because it's something regular.  A flat 90% chance on something with no modifiers is something you're so used to succeeding that it's not even taken into account.  I know my guns will miss and I have contingencies for if it happens.  I don't even think about the miss chance for rockets because they almost never do, and when they actually do it's infuriating because of that.

Furthermore there's options to minimize your risk when you shoot.  You can blow up cover (except oops your rocket missed), you can flank, all of that.  Rockets, nope.  No matter what, when you pull out that launcher you have a 10% chance of getting fucked over.

So, like I said before:  Make the hit/miss mechanics of rockets more meaningful, or make it 100% hit chance.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: October 29, 2012, 08:22:20 am »

There's no bugs.  Yes, everybody has stories of missing two 85s in a row, but nobody talks to you about the dozens and dozens of 85s that hit just fine.

I think one thing that can count as a bug is when you're on the same axis as a target standing against a wall, and count as "in cover" even though the target is definitely not in cover.  How many times have you tried to flank a Sectoid and seen this happen:

Code: [Select]
   W
  sWWW

xWWW
   W

Where you can pretty much pick either one as which, and they count as covered and so even at two steps away with no visible obstructions have like a 57% chance to hit.  Obviously that's a bug you can see in action though, but it's still fucked up.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:24:05 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4649 on: October 29, 2012, 09:12:35 am »

I never get THAT annoyed at rockets missing.

See, the first rocket I ever fired was in a UFO landing mission. There was mostly low cover, with most of my guys stacked up neatly behind this fallen tree trunk, with lots of sectoids over yonder. The situation's getting hairy, so I decide that now's the time to try out that rocket to wipe out half the sectoids. I tell my heavy, who is actually behind full cover just behind the rest of the team, to fire the rocket.

What happens? Well, of course my elite heavy soldier had never fired a rocket launcher, so he proceeds to fire in the general direction of his penis. Instantly taking out the fallen tree cover and injuring/killing the rest of the squad and himself.

Then my turn ended.

So yeah, I'm OK with my rockets hitting a wall next to the Mutton they were supposed to hit every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 625