Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961033 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2940 on: October 10, 2012, 10:02:27 pm »

Eeeeee I did it!

Finally...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You two didn't just bum rush him with two expendable rookies? All that you have to do is just shoot the one that gets mind controlled.
Fun fact: You can spec your sniper to disarm.  It does not do much damage.  Either way, you'll meet more later...  and... yea, best to outnumber em if you are trying to capture.

Mind you, you do not have to shoot the traitor...  just putting the enemy down will end it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: October 10, 2012, 10:05:17 pm »

Naming a soldier Sid Meier had unexpected results.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2942 on: October 10, 2012, 10:08:51 pm »

Deciding which country to help in the case of an abduction is incredibly difficult. Taking down UFOs is harder IMO. I can never seem to get my Interceptor technology up to snuff.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: October 10, 2012, 10:10:12 pm »

Eeeeee I did it!

Finally...

You two didn't just bum rush him with two expendable rookies? All that you have to do is just shoot the one that gets mind controlled.
Fun fact: You can spec your sniper to disarm.  It does not do much damage.  Either way, you'll meet more later...  and... yea, best to outnumber em if you are trying to capture.

Mind you, you do not have to shoot the traitor...  just putting the enemy down will end it.
What? KILL THE ALIEN, HATE THE ALIEN, LEAVE NONE TOUCHED BY THE XENOS ALIVE. Those civilians? KILL THEM AND STARVE THE CHRYSSALIDS.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: October 10, 2012, 10:21:47 pm »

Deciding which country to help in the case of an abduction is incredibly difficult. Taking down UFOs is harder IMO. I can never seem to get my Interceptor technology up to snuff.
Don't just base it off of which country, base it off of the continent too. All countries in the continent being attacked get upset if you don't beat their abduction. So continents with many highly panicked countries may be a good choice.

In other news, the first armor upgrade is insane. Normally, only my best soldiers get 1+ bars of health. Now, some are pushing +2.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: October 10, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »

Anyone else find that assaults seem more effective when equipped with a rifle? Sure they lose out on some damage close range but an assault with a plasma/lazer rifle makes up for it by being much more effective at range without too much loss close-quarters.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: October 10, 2012, 10:35:53 pm »

Anyone else find that assaults seem more effective when equipped with a rifle? Sure they lose out on some damage close range but an assault with a plasma/lazer rifle makes up for it by being much more effective at range without too much loss close-quarters.

They can use either one. Shotgun has its role (namely the over 100% accuracy rate at certain ranges).

It isn't a bad idea to stick to laser rifles until you unlock the Shotgun enhancers later on.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: October 10, 2012, 10:41:33 pm »

In other news, the first armor upgrade is insane. Normally, only my best soldiers get 1+ bars of health. Now, some are pushing +2.

And yet X-com soldiers still die like flies. I'm at the end game with health bars anywhere from 2.5 to 4.5 complete rows and still getting murderized unless I'm extremely careful plus have decent luck. Waves upon waves of super monsters tend to wear you down eventually.

Yes and no. I typically stick new assaults with rifles but later on there's not much more deadly than dashing into point blank range with your highest tech shotgun and unloading with rapid fire. With decent cover you'll almost always be able to dash in, and Assaults have the highest HP potential of any soldier type.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: October 10, 2012, 10:56:50 pm »

Goddamn it. It was a trap. 5 good solider dead, including one of my elite sniper team, a major with 23 kills and 10 missions under his belt. The only one who survived managed to live due to the sacrifice of the support Cpl.

So the map starts out. Round 1, first soldier is sent in. 3 Mutons on both sides. A sniper immediately kills one with a headshot. The dude who triggered them is way out of position; in between the two squads and completely flanked by all 6, with no moves left. A few more shots are fired, a few soldiers are moved into position. The guy out in the open gets shot, panics, and then manages to not only shoot a muton (nonfatally), but to run back into strong cover. Awesome. Not so awesome, the mutons use blood call, bringing another pair of mutons. 2 more mutons down next turn, smoke grenades are deployed. Mutons are now closing on our position from all sides. If I was smart, I would have been gone by that turn. Some light muton fire; 1 dead. I continue trying to take out the mutons. None go down. End of my turn.  Muton fire and a grenade take out 2 more squaddies. Another fumbling turn in which nothing of import was done by my squad. I should have been gone by now. A cyberdisk appears; the first I had encountered. A second grenade comes down, taking out the already wounded sniper, and heavily injuring the support behind him. The second sniper is panicked. Another turn lost. The sniper takes suppressing fire while the cyberdisk whirs overhead, dealing 4 damage. Figuring it was time to get the hell out of dodge 4 turns ago, I send in the support to provide a target for the encircling mutons. He managed to survive the firing with 1 hp, fired on the muton suppressing the sniper, and of course misses. The sniper then runs for the skyranger. The fire from the suppressing muton misses him; he makes it to the extraction point.

... Also of note; that's the same sniper who survived through all my previous stories of dead everythings. :P
That dude really knows how to live. (protip: the secret is in not dying) No one messes with Major Zed.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: October 10, 2012, 11:00:24 pm »

Major Zed on defeating Mutons: Run the **** away.
On Crysalids: Run the **** away.
On Sectoids: Shoot it in the head.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: October 10, 2012, 11:01:09 pm »

Its the same reason that assaults reload their shotgun with one hand

No they don't...

That isn't... reloading.

Neonovik, I'm aware that reloading a shotgun and pumping it aren't the same thing.  It was a slip of the fingers.  From your post, its obvious that you know what I meant.  Which means that you recognize that my overall statement was correct, and you were just being pedantic.

Next time, if you're going to correct me on what's basically gun operating jargon, leave out the condescending pauses.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: October 10, 2012, 11:03:18 pm »

Major Zed on defeating Mutons: Run the **** away.
On Crysalids: Run the **** away.
On Sectoids: Shoot it in the head.
Actually, that sniper pair kept the terror mission at bay up until they both simultaneously ran out of ammo from firing every turn. :P

They even took out the pair of crysalids and the zombie they made the support into.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: October 10, 2012, 11:06:23 pm »

No they don't...

That isn't... reloading.

Neonovik, I'm aware that reloading a shotgun and pumping it aren't the same thing.  It was a slip of the fingers.  From your post, its obvious that you know what I meant.  Which means that you recognize that my overall statement was correct, and you were just being pedantic.

Next time, if you're going to correct me on what's basically gun operating jargon, leave out the condescending pauses.
Well since you have to manually eject a spent round, I suppose you weren't too far off. It's not really all that important.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: October 10, 2012, 11:07:36 pm »

No they don't...

That isn't... reloading.

Well since you have to manually eject a spent round, I suppose you weren't too far off. It's not really all that important.
Except you have to do it for all shotgun-type weapons. Even the laser ones. Especially the laser ones.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: October 10, 2012, 11:14:56 pm »

No they don't...

That isn't... reloading.

Except you have to do it for all shotgun-type weapons. Even the laser ones. Especially the laser ones.
w-what? That... doesn't make sense. I can't even think of a reason for that to be required.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 625