Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961072 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2925 on: October 10, 2012, 08:21:19 pm »

Now watch him die and have everyone else panic as a result.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: October 10, 2012, 08:27:05 pm »

Guys, cars explode in this game because its an action movie staple.  Its the same reason that assaults reload their shotgun with one hand.

Remember that conversation about how the first terror mission is a difficulty spike?  Well, my first playthrough it pretty much finished off xcom, there was a total squad wipe and I lost my best soldier.  Second time around, we don't have laser rifles because we're one engineer short, and the terror mission occurs in mexico, which is at max panic, and the rest of North America isn't far behind.  I decide to go all in, and send our best men and equipment.  If the squad gets wiped out again we'll be down to one squad of low level troops, and mexico will leave the council.

I got the achievement "As a Scalpel".  That's right, excellent in all categories.  The squad splits into two groups, one meets the first cryssalid in a doorway and and do just enough damage to finish it off.  The other goes into overwatch in the entryway to the police station, and a cryssalid leaps into their midst from a second story balcony... immediately dying from a shotgun blast and a hail of close range machinegun fire.  All cryssalids are dead on the second turn, all floaters on the forth.  Only four civvy deaths, North America goes down to one pip away from min panic, all five squad members get promoted, the named characters are singing my praises.

I feel SO good about this playthrough.  I think we might actually save Earth this time.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: October 10, 2012, 08:33:14 pm »

It HURTS to have cars explode so easily in a game where cover is so important.

Its the same reason that assaults reload their shotgun with one hand

No they don't...

That isn't... reloading.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:37:45 pm by Neonivek »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: October 10, 2012, 08:45:58 pm »

I just lost a Corporal to the terrain engine.  I damn well clicked to take cover behind a fallen log on top of a cliff.  She interpreted this as jumping over the cliff to the open terrain on the other side, and got blasted once there, causing the whole rest of the squad to panic.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:29 pm »

you know that free soldier you get from doing the tutorial? Well so far he has an astounding 44 kills, out of 30 missions. I didn't save scum either, he survived on his own merit

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: October 10, 2012, 08:51:56 pm »

you know that free soldier you get from doing the tutorial? Well so far he has an astounding 44 kills, out of 30 missions. I didn't save scum either, he survived on his own merit

Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: October 10, 2012, 09:04:20 pm »

Wow, this run I got really lucky with a Terror mission. Only 6 aliens, with 2 being Chryssalids and the others floaters.

I encountered the Chryssalids first. One got gunned down in the "spotted XCOM dudes" turn, the other very nearly got one of my guys, but a reaction shot killed it.

Then I killed the four floaters without any losses or wounds. I saved 16/18 civilians.

I suppose the lasers my guys have helped, but still, I got really lucky with the enemies.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2932 on: October 10, 2012, 09:20:50 pm »

Eeeeee I did it!

Finally...

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: October 10, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »

I'd give him a chain sword and a bolter, but this game doesn't have autocannons.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: October 10, 2012, 09:28:25 pm »

You, sir, are awesome.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: October 10, 2012, 09:32:30 pm »

Is anybody else more scared of cyberdisks than chryssalids?  Maybe it's the way they just open up before they attack, that tells you "Oh damn, shit just got real."

It probably doesn't help that one opened up on a guy I actually liked and blew him away.  Kwasi Fofana, you will be missed.
Shoes...

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: October 10, 2012, 09:33:42 pm »

The Cryssalid of old still holds me in fear.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: October 10, 2012, 09:36:25 pm »

The Cryssalid of old still holds me in fear.

This. Crysalids bad.
He's fucking with us.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: October 10, 2012, 09:43:11 pm »

Eeeeee I did it!

Finally...

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: October 10, 2012, 09:53:19 pm »

Eeeeee I did it!

Finally...

You two didn't just bum rush him with two expendable rookies? All that you have to do is just shoot the one that gets mind controlled.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 625