Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961574 times)

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2460 on: October 05, 2012, 03:59:24 pm »

Oh my god why isn't time going any FASTER! I NEED TO FIND A WAY TO PUT MY BODY INTO CRYOSTASIS. OH MY GOD.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: October 05, 2012, 04:00:18 pm »

Uh... guys? Chill a bit. It's looking to be a very good tactical game, but I'm seeing nothing so far that indicates us entering "omygerd best game ever" territory yet.

;)

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: October 05, 2012, 04:07:32 pm »

Uh... guys? Chill a bit. It's looking to be a very good tactical game, but I'm seeing nothing so far that indicates us entering "omygerd best game ever" territory yet.

;)

You've got to be kidding. Not only it is X-com, but it is also a beacon of hope signaling that this genre is not completely dead!
Unlike the Jagged alliance reboot, Firaxis seems to be aware what makes X com great, and this is worth getting hyped.
Like you said, this certainly doesn't look like OMGTHEBESTGAMEINDAHUNIVERS, but we can confirm that this will be a decent game at worst, can't we?
Considering how games tend to be unbelievably bland or unremarkable even if it doesn't necessarily have any design flaws, this game will be remembered and played for a long time.
Oh my god, my brain cells are dying just from trying to formulate an arguement while spending most of my brainpower on waiting for x-com to be released. Abort, ABORT!
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: October 05, 2012, 04:15:53 pm »

;)

You've got to be kidding. Not only it is X-com, but it is also a beacon of hope signaling that this genre is not completely dead!
Unlike the Jagged alliance reboot, Firaxis seems to be aware what makes X com great, and this is worth getting hyped.
Like you said, this certainly doesn't look like OMGTHEBESTGAMEINDAHUNIVERS, but we can confirm that this will be a decent game at worst, can't we?
Considering how games tend to be unbelievably bland or unremarkable even if it doesn't necessarily have any design flaws, this game will be remembered and played for a long time.
Oh my god, my brain cells are dying just from trying to formulate an arguement while spending most of my brainpower on waiting for x-com to be released. Abort, ABORT!

That said....

Firaxis decided to include a number of nationality flags but decided not to include accents for any country other than America.

Seven generic American voices to choose from.

Oversight to the maximum.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: October 05, 2012, 04:16:17 pm »

Only three more days until it unlocks for me
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: October 05, 2012, 04:27:28 pm »

That said....

Firaxis decided to include a number of nationality flags but decided not to include accents for any country other than America.

I for one am tired of the same people complaining about that. I get it, I really do. THAT being said, there is no reason to keep making the same complaint here. Take it to the official forum and add your voice to the others that share your complaint in an effort to get it changed(most likely futile). It's a complaint about an immersion breaking factor and it sucks, but it is one small element you seem to be fixated and vocal about.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: October 05, 2012, 04:30:25 pm »

That said....

...Are you seriously suggesting that it is a.. design flaw that hinders the game so much? Like, the oversight is so much that the players will suddenly start smashing keyboards and mouses yelling "Oh my god I can't believe how ignorant they are, I want refunds nao!"?

Voiceacting wasn't their strong suit anyways, look at civ 4 and 5, some(read: most) of the languages are severely butchered to the point where people started to think that they recruited local talents. At least firaxis has strong suits, don't they? They have some experience with turn based games.

Unlike the monsters who made JA: BIA, I don't think they have strong suits at all.
In fact, I don't even think they have suits in the first place.  :D
Break his other leg.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2467 on: October 05, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »

America, as a country, needs to shut up :P Otherwise you will be ignored when the real X-com is created by the rest of the world! ;)

As far as I'm concerned, it's much more than just this being a good game. This is the game that will give AAA companies AND THEIR PUBLIC extremely important messages: generic first/third-person shooter isn't the only thing that interests people, or that sells. You can still make deep, innovative games, with different pr experimental gameplay, and be successful. It will be irrefutable proof of substance over style - something which has been so forgotten that it "reads wrong", unlike that style over substance!

It's not going to be details, such as not enough voices, that invalidate the above.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: October 05, 2012, 04:44:06 pm »

America, as a country, needs to shut up :P Otherwise you will be ignored when the real X-com is created by the rest of the world! ;)

As far as I'm concerned, it's much more than just this being a good game. This is the game that will give AAA companies AND THEIR PUBLIC extremely important messages: generic first/third-person shooter isn't the only thing that interests people, or that sells. You can still make deep, innovative games, with different pr experimental gameplay, and be successful. It will be irrefutable proof of substance over style - something which has been so forgotten that it "reads wrong", unlike that style over substance!

It's not going to be details, such as not enough voices, that invalidate the above.

I totally agree, and here's an hoping that many many other companies start ripping off the new x-com and spawn lots and lots of new titles.
I could have written somewhat better arguements, but uh, I really can't with my roommate masterbating behind me.
It's 5 pm, and he is in his bed, his body covered with blankets, with ear buds plugged in, the blanket... and mattress is oddly moving up and down, making weird *squeek* *squeek* noises.
But I dirgress. only 80 something hours to go!
Break his other leg.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: October 05, 2012, 04:59:39 pm »

I do certainly hope the genre gets a new foothold. But I'm not /entirely/ sure I'd call anything x-com is doing here "innovative". It's mostly high quality refinement.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: October 05, 2012, 05:03:35 pm »

In this day and age, releasing a game on PC and console without it feeling absolutely handicapped on one or the other is nothing short of innovative. The game is not perfect but it's a LOT better than most of the games to come out in the recent past. Time will tell if it satisfies for longer than 2 weeks, but I suspect for the diehard fans it will be a long term love affair.

also.......WHY DIDN'T I KNOW I COULD PRE_LOAD NOW??!?!?!?!?

Edit: Download is 12.1 GB
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:26:00 pm by hemmingjay »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: October 05, 2012, 05:10:08 pm »

In this day and age, releasing a game on PC and console without it feeling absolutely handicapped on one or the other is nothing short of innovative.

WTF? That's more like the average expectation.

I'm sure the game will be fun though, I myself will be waiting for some discount but I'm sure once I get my hands on it I will sink in a good 40 hour week into it but in all honesty I think I will still prefer the original.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: October 05, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »

In this day and age, releasing a game on PC and console without it feeling absolutely handicapped on one or the other is nothing short of innovative. The game is not perfect but it's a LOT better than most of the games to come out in the recent past. Time will tell if it satisfies for longer than 2 weeks, but I suspect for the diehard fans it will be a long term love affair.

also.......WHY DIDN'T I KNOW I COULD PRE_LOAD NOW??!?!?!?!?
you could do that for what? the past 20 minutes? It's not going to make the game come out any quicker.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: October 05, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »

In this day and age, releasing a game on PC and console without it feeling absolutely handicapped on one or the other is nothing short of innovative.

WTF? That's more like the average expectation.

I'm sure the game will be fun though, I myself will be waiting for some discount but I'm sure once I get my hands on it I will sink in a good 40 hour week into it but in all honesty I think I will still prefer the original.

I totally understand your thinking and I still play the original about 10-20 hours a month for the last 5 years and much more in the years preceding. Unfortunately I have grown very tired of the way the game forced it's technical limitations on you and called them game mechanics. It has been discussed to death so I won't labor that point further. This game will also make me unhappy eventually but I hope it has 1/10 of the longevity of the original. Based on the success of this title, I am sure we will see another XCOM: The Sequel in the next 2 years using the same engine. It would be foolish not to.

I am curious what price you are hoping to get the game for?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: October 05, 2012, 05:29:28 pm »

hemmingjay, remember - if you want to play the original but without all the "technical limitation" choices, xenonauts is launching their beta the same day this comes out. It might at least be worth looking into, as even the Alpha build I played was pretty enjoyable.

But back onto Xcom:EU... I'm actually a bit torn on whether or not to get this game at this point. Xenonauts has the wonderful advantage of actually being able to be played on my computer (and already paid for)... but the thing I've liked best of what I've seen of X-com so far is the multiplayer, and I'd love to play some X-com multiplayer with my brother.

I really, really enjoy tactical multiplayer, and there's precious few of those sorts of games to go around lately.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 625