Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961547 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2430 on: October 05, 2012, 07:56:56 am »

How do we know that the laser weapons aren't clip fed one-use nuclear-pumped laser cells? :P
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: October 05, 2012, 08:05:11 am »

How do we know that the laser weapons aren't clip fed one-use nuclear-pumped laser cells? :P

They use regenerative energy cells. You have to shake them to recharge them! Shake vigorously!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2432 on: October 05, 2012, 09:03:31 am »

I can go with that :)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: October 05, 2012, 09:21:21 am »

I don't see how having to stun aliens will make researching plasma weapons hard. You can easily just run up to a Sectoid and give it a bit of juice from the old arc-thrower to knock them out at full health. Unless they're sneaky and have a unit on overwatch (which I doubt, from what I've seen) you should be able to take them out with no problem.

Definitely seems much easier than the original.  No more TU guessing about whether you had the TU's to get right up next to the alien, to equip the stunner (usually out of the backpack), and to hope the stun works.  It usually took several turns (and a lot of experience) to set it up 'safely'.  And then on top of that, you had to babysit the alien in case it woke up again!  Oh, the fun of an alien crawling out of your backpack in the midst of your squad, and your squaddies lighting each other up with reaction fire...
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: October 05, 2012, 09:31:11 am »

They use regenerative energy cells. You have to shake them to recharge them! Shake vigorously!

Just like that game where you have to shake your shake your sword to charge it up. Clearly this is how it works, nothing else makes sense.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:35:11 am by GlyphGryph »

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:26 am »

Just like that game where you have to shake your shake your sword to charge it up. Clearly this is how it works, nothing else makes sense.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: October 05, 2012, 10:42:11 am »

For once I'm actually glad about the internet oceans.  My week would be far less productive if they didn't exist.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: October 05, 2012, 11:08:45 am »

87 hours to go. 87 NORTH AMERICAN hours to go. With the current rate of exchange it should be @160 hours for our friends in the Eurozone.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: October 05, 2012, 11:09:22 am »

Lucky me, I have jury duty the day it comes out ><

"I'm sorry your Honor, while I know my civic duty is very important, my duty to the WHOLE WORLD AND ALL OF HUMANITY kind of supersedes it."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: October 05, 2012, 11:12:04 am »

"I'm sorry your Honor, while I know my civic duty is very important, my duty to the WHOLE WORLD AND ALL OF HUMANITY kind of supersedes it."

Lucky for me I am a student and as such I have a "get out of Jury Duty Free" card.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: October 05, 2012, 11:18:20 am »

Just ramble some about aliens, Cydonia and mind control and you should be good :p

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: October 05, 2012, 11:20:35 am »

I swear the game BETTER say that Alien Plasma weaponry is designed to self-destruct if the alien dies... or else...

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: October 05, 2012, 11:21:38 am »

Just ramble some about aliens, Cydonia and mind control and you should be good :p

Yep, just remember that a jury is made up of 12 people that are so dumb they couldn't even figure a way out of jury duty :P

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: October 05, 2012, 11:32:42 am »

I swear the game BETTER say that Alien Plasma weaponry is designed to self-destruct if the alien dies... or else...

I hope as well that that is the justification they use as to why a headshot suddenly causes the weapon to vaporize. In fact from the aliens point of view that would actually make a lot of sense. What is the biggest advantage you have over the puny hoo-men? Technology, so obviously you do not want those pesky apes to get their hands on your latest model of deathmachine.
Just say that the weapon is linked to some vital sign or some such of the wielder, and if that goes blank the weapon disintegrates. That would also explain why you need to specifically stun them in order to get the weapon intact.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: October 05, 2012, 11:45:48 am »

I hope as well that that is the justification they use as to why a headshot suddenly causes the weapon to vaporize. In fact from the aliens point of view that would actually make a lot of sense. What is the biggest advantage you have over the puny hoo-men? Technology, so obviously you do not want those pesky apes to get their hands on your latest model of deathmachine.
Just say that the weapon is linked to some vital sign or some such of the wielder, and if that goes blank the weapon disintegrates. That would also explain why you need to specifically stun them in order to get the weapon intact.

That is precisely the reason the devs gave. I assume the game will also state this at some point.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 625