Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961565 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2445 on: October 05, 2012, 11:57:58 am »

Anything confirmed on wether it has only 70 pre-made missions or if they are procedural like ye olde X-COM?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: October 05, 2012, 12:00:34 pm »

Anything confirmed on wether it has only 70 pre-made missions or if they are procedural like ye olde X-COM?

There are 80 premade maps, if i recall correctly, although the alien mix and placement of both the aliens and your troops is randomized.

According to the devs, you should pretty much never get a repeat map on a given playthrough of the game. So I doubt this will be a problem.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2447 on: October 05, 2012, 02:07:46 pm »

I don't recall ye-olde-XCOM maps being procedural. In fact I'm fairly certain they were predesigned.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: October 05, 2012, 02:14:20 pm »

I don't recall ye-olde-XCOM maps being procedural. In fact I'm fairly certain they were predesigned.

I think so. X-Com just had the advantage of being sorta bland looking (not a knock on the game, there's just only so much detail you can put it with a resolution and colour pallete that limited) So the maps all sort of blurred together.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: October 05, 2012, 02:19:03 pm »

They were randomly generated.

So not procedural OR predesigned.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: October 05, 2012, 02:23:45 pm »

They were randomly generated.

So not procedural OR predesigned.

Randomly generated and "Procedural" are pretty much the same thing when someone refers to them. (I am aware of the difference. but Procedural is used to replace random now)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 05, 2012, 02:32:19 pm »

..what? I'm actually having difficult figuring out what message I'm supposed to take from that post. Why did you use quotes around procedural. Why do you say they are the same thing, but you know the difference, and they are "pretty much" the same, which are all seemingly distinct stances. What do you mean by replaced?

I'm confused.

Anyways, important bit is that they are generated randomly (in blocks) - so elements like fields and UFOs and barnhouses and whatnot are pre-designed, but where they appear is random.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 05, 2012, 02:42:35 pm »

Nothing much sometimes I jsut say things.

I was just saying that when someone says "Randomised" and someone says "Procedural" they often mean the same thing. That is pretty much it.

I wouldn't mind the limited number of maps except that... I don't know... one of the things I LOVED to see what how damaged enemy UFOs were based on how badly you destroyed them.

I've had enemy UFOs who were basically trash because I just murdered them. While I had huge UFOs who were perfectly in tact because I just barely knocked it out of the air.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: October 05, 2012, 02:53:25 pm »

A truly random map would be bad.  It may not even be playable since blocks would just be thrown around with no rhyme or reason.  When someone says it is randomly generated, 99% of the time they mean procedurally generated.  A random number seed feeds into a procedure to make a pseudo-random level that is playable.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:54:57 pm by Satarus »
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: October 05, 2012, 02:57:46 pm »

I think the farms were, I believe, truly random. The map components placed with no rhyme or reason.

I think the cities had a few additional rules (hence roads) and thus had a procedural element... but still mostly random.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:07:30 pm by GlyphGryph »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2456 on: October 05, 2012, 03:43:37 pm »

Hey, as long as terrain is destructable I don't see a problem with "truly" random ;) Just blast the whole thing with plasma!!!

I believe the difference between random and procedural, as we understand them currently, is that procedural generation is a method that generates content using random numbers, but not in a random fashion. Random generation, in the literal sense, would be dropping walls, floors, windows, bushes, trees, enemies, etc, at random, e.g. with equal probability, on each tile.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:55:11 pm by Anvilfolk »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: October 05, 2012, 03:49:35 pm »

leveling enemy covers was a central part to succesfulfun xcomming   :D

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: October 05, 2012, 03:51:40 pm »

I swear to god when this game comes out, I'm going to play the living shit out of it until I die of dehydration.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2459 on: October 05, 2012, 03:55:55 pm »

I swear to god when this game comes out, I'm going to play the living shit out of it until I die of dehydration.

Shut the hell up, you're going to start a bout of mass hysteria. I mean it. I haven't been this excited about any game, ever.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 625