Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961495 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2295 on: October 03, 2012, 01:54:52 am »

So unlike the original, the guns now shoot magic instead of bullets? :P

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: October 03, 2012, 01:58:37 am »

Sadly, this appears to be true. No more hitting an alien you weren't aiming at.

However, this also applies in reverse. Aliens can now hit your valuable Colonel instead of wasting rounds on the meatshield rookies blocking him :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: October 03, 2012, 02:15:57 am »

Sadly, this appears to be true. No more hitting an alien you weren't aiming at.

However, this also applies in reverse. Aliens can now hit your valuable Colonel instead of wasting rounds on the meatshield rookies blocking him :P

It gets a bit more silly when characters actually have 100% cover visually from an attack.

Expect the bullets to pass through ANY object or obsticle to hit.

It is why I fully suspect that "Plasma can go through walls" is in fact more of a glitch then an actual ability.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: October 03, 2012, 02:30:29 am »

Wouldn't that require plasma shot to be handled differently than bullets? If it took a conscious effort to leave it in, then it is a feature, even if it was a glitch to begin with. At the same time, cover is not concealment. You might have concealment if you hide behind a table, but if someone fired armor piercing rounds, you only have concealment, not cover. It does make sense that plasma can penetrate things that bullets cannot, provided it's not what we think of as plasma.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: October 03, 2012, 02:52:56 am »

Wouldn't that require plasma shot to be handled differently than bullets? If it took a conscious effort to leave it in, then it is a feature, even if it was a glitch to begin with. At the same time, cover is not concealment. You might have concealment if you hide behind a table, but if someone fired armor piercing rounds, you only have concealment, not cover. It does make sense that plasma can penetrate things that bullets cannot, provided it's not what we think of as plasma.

The reason you can't see bullets do that is because the glitch is a result of the Aliens being handled EXACTLY like a soldier in everyway. (at least I am assuming so)

So if a soldier would have had a line of sight but the alien wouldn't the alien still can see the unit and still make the attack because a soldier would still be able to make that shot.

It is more of a bug then a glitch... but a bug non-the-less

It gets especially aggrivating if you get shot even though you know that the alien shouldn't be able to see you.

"You might have concealment if you hide behind a table, but if someone fired armor piercing rounds, you only have concealment, not cover. It does make sense that plasma can penetrate things that bullets cannot, provided it's not what we think of as plasma."

Except that doesn't hold up. If an alien takes a shot and the "Cover" is what is hit, it will perfectly block the attack.

The Alien will not shoot through cover, walls, posts, and everything else except when its line of sight (or line of shooting) is blocked.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:55:12 am by Neonivek »

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: October 03, 2012, 03:20:45 am »

The more I read and watch about this game, the more I'm starting to believe it has been put together by a very lazy development team.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: October 03, 2012, 03:28:20 am »

The more I read and watch about this game, the more I'm starting to believe it has been put together by a very lazy development team.

It is probably a design decision they made because doing otherwise would be more trouble then its worth.

Needing to alter AI to take into account different line of sight rules would be difficult.

Though why they couldn't alter guns that shoot multiple times to hit more then dead center on certain enemies is beyond me.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: October 03, 2012, 05:10:35 am »

It is probably a design decision they made because doing otherwise would be more trouble then its worth.

Needing to alter AI to take into account different line of sight rules would be difficult.

Though why they couldn't alter guns that shoot multiple times to hit more then dead center on certain enemies is beyond me.

I don't buy that, though.

Look at ancient games like Fallout 2 - you could miss your target and hit another - especially in burst mode.

Look at more modern games like the new Jagged Alliance - you can also miss your target and hit another.

Firaxis/2K are coming across as very lazy and I'm seriously concerned for this game. From not including any other accent than 7 American ones to not being able to accidentally miss your target and hit someone else?

Poor work.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: October 03, 2012, 05:37:26 am »

Its actually be confirmed a couple times on the goon forum that you can hit another alien. It's just really rare. Instead of the game moving the bullets slow enough for you to see, it just does it instantly, creating the illusion that they can't actually hit other aliens. In fact, in the first hour long gameplay demo they actually said "make sure you don't hit your guy" when his guy was stood next to an alien his sniper was trying to hit.

Also, inb4 "Scout sucks!!!!!qq!!1!1!!!! LOLOLOLOLO"

Arn't scouts actually the defensive masters in the game? or am I thinking of assault?

Who are the ones who actually get to go full speed AND get a free overwatch?

Assaults get a free shot. Although overwatch isn't as useful to them, you can give them a decent pistol and switch to that before overwatching instead. Switching is a free action, so there is no point not doing so.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: October 03, 2012, 06:11:32 am »

Its actually be confirmed a couple times on the goon forum that you can hit another alien. It's just really rare. Instead of the game moving the bullets slow enough for you to see, it just does it instantly, creating the illusion that they can't actually hit other aliens. In fact, in the first hour long gameplay demo they actually said "make sure you don't hit your guy" when his guy was stood next to an alien his sniper was trying to hit.

At one occasion in the same gameplay (one of the PAX videos, IIRC) there's also a time when some rookie misses a shot against a chrysalid and it hits the wall behind it, destroying (making a man-sized hole in) that wall. I seem to recall that he was shooting a plasma rifle (or a laser rifle, can't quite remember), it'd make little sense if a few bullets from an assault rifle can make a man sized hole in a building wall.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: October 03, 2012, 06:31:24 am »

Yeah, there was another video with the lead designer playing against the amazon.com guy in PAX. The bullets managed to miss the person they were aiming at, and hit a truck right behind them, destroying a chunk of it. Even in the original, hitting things you were not aiming for was rare though. Exhilarating, but rare.

And one thing to note, It seems that this game actually gets your odds of hitting something right, unlike the original, where the number was bullet deviation. Could be confusing.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2306 on: October 03, 2012, 06:33:54 am »

Yeah, there was another video with the lead designer playing against the amazon.com guy in PAX. The bullets managed to miss the person they were aiming at, and hit a truck right behind them, destroying a chunk of it. Even in the original, hitting things you were not aiming for was rare though. Exhilarating, but rare.

And one thing to note, It seems that this game actually gets your odds of hitting something right, unlike the original, where the number was bullet deviation. Could be confusing.
It was always fun when you were firing into a UFO, missed the alien and hit some important thing which proceeded to explode all over the place.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: October 03, 2012, 06:35:38 am »

Hype overflow: game preordered

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: October 03, 2012, 06:36:54 am »

When I was refering to deviation I meant shot for shot.

Machine guns seem like a stream of bullets. Rather then a series or volley of them.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: October 03, 2012, 06:46:41 am »

Because every videogame has it's form of abstraction, in order to keep the developers sane? If the gun you use gets multiple attacks, why pick a trait that also gives you multiple attacks? You don't need to apply a shot for shot deviation to a machine gun because otherwise, you're not using the machine gun right. With per bullet deviation, you either end up with a shotgun spread, so why not use a shotgun, or a stream, so why not treat it as a stream. Really, it all boils down to artistic choice, and mechanically, I don't think it'd mesh with what's available, unlike Silent Storm.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 625