Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961499 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2325 on: October 03, 2012, 03:06:34 pm »

Simulating spread is useless because mg spread is nothing like what people thinks it is like.

This is true of 5 round bursts at up to 100 meters in the prone position. Longer sustained fire and/or distance GREATLY affects the accuracy of squad automatic weapons like the M249. Heavier weapons like the M240B, M60 and up are nigh impossible to fire effectively unless supported and even then anything more than the first 3 rounds tend to be spread out to vehicle sized grouping at 150 yards.

I understand what you are saying about XCOM though, since it appears we can only fire the support weapon in short bursts and range is limited.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: October 03, 2012, 03:29:29 pm »

Goodness I won't get to draw my ingenius picture because people keep going.

Ok I'll just try to express my oppinion on weapon fire.

-Your Xcom soldier has a assault rifle
-He sees an alien
-You tell him to open fire on the alien
-The bullets leave the barrel of the gun in a perfect straight line, no bullet out of order, and hit the alien dead center in the face and will do so pretty much everytime.
-The Alien who has taken multiple bullets to the exact same spot on his head multiple times suddenly realises he is dead and falls back dead

Now here is what "I" am refering to as how it should go.

-Your Xcom Soldier has a assault rifle
-You tell him to open fire on the alien
-The bullets leave the barrel of the gun in a general line, each bullet deviating slightly from the trajectory (Adjusted for weapon type of course) and strike the alien in a general area within line of sight between the body and head. Single bullets that don't hit considered unimportant or aestetic (or heck perhaps they all hit)
-The alien reacts after being struck the first time and dies.

that is the difference I am refering to... Also ignore the "Alien reaction" incase I forgot how that worked.

I am ONLY refering to how it looks not its gameplay elements. A lot of games calculate machine gun fire as if it was all a single hit and that is fine... but most of those at least try to make it look like you are bursting some bullets into them.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: October 03, 2012, 03:41:12 pm »

Oh the humanity. Even when aliens are bringing doom to us all, we are arguing whether bullets should go straight or not. :P
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 03, 2012, 03:42:20 pm »

Oh the humanity. Even when aliens are bringing doom to us all, we are arguing whether bullets should go straight or not. :P

Well you know what they say... The bigger the gun

And who wants to own an impotent gun?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: October 03, 2012, 03:43:42 pm »

This entire thread is silly, we should wait for the game to come out.  Speaking of which, I can't wait for the game to come out!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: October 03, 2012, 03:47:34 pm »

the longest kill record, at about 2km, was held for a couple decades by a M2 machinegun  :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: October 03, 2012, 03:52:09 pm »

Eh. I didn't notice any problems when I was playing the demo. We shot aliens, they died. They shot back, and when they didn't hit my guys dodged the bullets or the cover in front of them got hit an exploded.

Works for me.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: October 03, 2012, 10:45:01 pm »

Neonivek, I've been following this thread on and off for a while now, and I feel that you probably just don't want to play the game or give it a chance. You hate literally everything about it. Maybe it would be for the best if you stepped out of it until the title is released, so you can back up your arguments by presenting the final product.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: October 03, 2012, 10:49:34 pm »

Neonivek, I've been following this thread on and off for a while now, and I feel that you probably just don't want to play the game or give it a chance. You hate literally everything about it. Maybe it would be for the best if you stepped out of it until the title is released, so you can back up your arguments by presenting the final product.

Dang it Neonivek, you complained. Thus you hate EVERYTHING about it!

YOU HAVE NO SAY NEONIVEK! Leave this place. Darken our doorways no more. You shall not infest us with your ability to say bad things!

Err wait let me correct that

Dang it Neonivek, you complained. Thus you hate EVERYTHING about it!

YOU HAVE NO SAY NEONIVEK! Leave this place. Darken our doorways no more. You shall not infest us with your ability to say bad things!

NOO! You saw through my plan to infect everyone with badness. I was getting away with it too until you discovered my secret.

For you see Grakelin... I am an ALIEN! My powers fading... draining out... Ooooohhh woe is me!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:03:01 pm by Neonivek »

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: October 03, 2012, 11:09:22 pm »

Neonivek can get a bit hyperbolic and sometimes repeats the same points, but I must acknowledge that he's the only thing keeping this thread from turning into a circlejerk (which we can certainly have after the game is released, provided it lives up to expectations).

There's some new footage out.  The pitch video is an interesting curio, but the big thing is the second video where he talks with Jake Solomon.  A lot of the demo interface stuff has been fixed, as you can now double-click to act instead of using the confirmation prompt and rebind keys on the fly.  He also discusses why they had to take out free aiming for non-explosive weapons.  Apparently it caused problems with players aiming for the enemy's cover instead of trying to flank, slowing down the game and reducing risk, was difficult to make a usable UI for, and trivialized the planned terrain destruction mechanic of explosives.

Also, it has become apparent that Firaxis is looking into subliminal, liminal, and superliminal advertising.  What is superliminal advertising you ask?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: October 03, 2012, 11:51:32 pm »

Those were neat. Watching Jake try to sell the game to people was pretty funny.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: October 03, 2012, 11:57:49 pm »

Neonivek can get a bit hyperbolic and sometimes repeats the same points, but I must acknowledge that he's the only thing keeping this thread from turning into a circlejerk (which we can certainly have after the game is released, provided it lives up to expectations).
Repeats the same points after they've already been refuted, yes. Either that or makes vague predictions about how terrible it will be because it isn't being handed down from Heaven on an adamantine platter. That's where things get irritating.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: October 04, 2012, 01:59:53 am »

Yes yes, he's the Republican Party of the XCOM thread.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: October 04, 2012, 02:00:46 am »

Yes yes, he's the Republican Party of the Other Games forum.
Fix'd it for you.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: October 04, 2012, 02:58:32 am »

New vid up. Show's off one of the cheats in the game (hero units) and is pretty spoiler heavy gameplay wise. Be warned.

my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 625