Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Future evil biome embarks.  (Read 3745 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Future evil biome embarks.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 02:28:52 am »

The devlog says the resultant creature was bloodless. Does that mean one can mod the type of fluid which flows through a dwarf's veins? Would that not allow one to create a disease which could be transmitted, because the infected emit more of it?

I like this train of thought. 28 weeks later.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 05:19:05 am »

This will be awesome! Just think of the possibilities!
Face melting rain!
Cursed fog!
Imagine a fog that turns everybody in to were-badgers!! :D
Or a fog that causes inner heat to sky rocket after delay?!
UrsitMcOverseer:"OMG! An evil cloud!... but nothing happened? It's probably bugged."
2hours later...
UrsitMcMinner1 has been struck down!
UrsitMcMinner2 has been struck down!
UrsitMcMasson has been struck down!
UrsitMcFisher has been struck down!
FUN!!!
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 06:19:52 am »

So now turtling up in evil biomes during sieges can lead to enemy armies turning into horrible monsters if the fog spawns and washes over 'em.

I bet they won't even leave the map either when that happens. Trading might become an issue, since I doubt traders will be able to path away from the fog if it's in the middle of their route to the depot.

Did the RNG evil-biome creatures make it into the new release? I recall Toady mentioned something about unique evil wildlife living only in a particular area of the world, like a massive six-legged wolf with razor teeth that lurked in the dark cursed woods of ThisPlaceHere.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 07:41:45 am »

Hell yeah, some freezing terrifying biome would be perfect. Maybe I'll even dig some safety tunnels for migrants and traders.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 07:58:02 am »

Here's to hoping we can get fogs with the Raise Dead ability... think about your fortress after a few sieges, surrounded by a wasteland of goblin corpses.

Now imagine every one of those corpses waking up and yowling for brains...

FUN!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 08:04:03 am »

This update will definitely +10% DF's awesomeness. That takes Dwarf Fortress' awesomeness to... *taps calculator* ...a happy face. No, wait, that's  :)^12

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 09:55:29 am »

Here's to hoping we can get fogs with the Raise Dead ability... think about your fortress after a few sieges, surrounded by a wasteland of goblin corpses.

Now imagine every one of those corpses waking up and yowling for brains...

FUN!

No need for a fog... it has been stated that corpses in an evil region may get automagically animated once per week, depending on the region's random effect.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 03:24:41 pm »

Besides the fog potentially turning sieges into shambling hordes of undead/monsters, perhaps there is something else that might be worth weaponizing.

Toady already said that evil biomes can have rain of blood that can cause minor poisoning effects. If it's blood rain, would it collect in puddles like normal rain, so you'd have ponds of blood? Which also was mildly poisonous?

Finally we can have real blood-drowning trap corridors. And it'd be poisonous too!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 03:53:25 pm »

I'm still waiting for the eventual titan that keeps growing limbs.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 04:30:11 pm »

The devlog says the resultant creature was bloodless. Does that mean one can mod the type of fluid which flows through a dwarf's veins? Would that not allow one to create a disease which could be transmitted, because the infected emit more of it?

I like this train of thought. 28 weeks later.

Would this allow giving dwarves alcohol for blood? Then you could change a few reactions so you can boil down dead dwarves and bottle the remnants to give to the other dwarves to keep them happy.

....Or use them as improvised landmines by setting them on fire. Actually, the possibilities are endless for alcohol-based life-forms.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 04:34:20 pm »

bonus points if its eventually put in that theres creatures tht kill other creatures, then absorb/eat/ assimilate the corpse to either heal wounds or grow new body parts
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 04:41:21 pm »

bonus points if its eventually put in that theres creatures tht kill other creatures, then absorb/eat/ assimilate the corpse to either heal wounds or grow new body parts

And on a glacier.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 04:58:57 pm »

Toady already said that evil biomes can have rain of blood that can cause minor poisoning effects. If it's blood rain, would it collect in puddles like normal rain, so you'd have ponds of blood? Which also was mildly poisonous?

Finally we can have real blood-drowning trap corridors. And it'd be poisonous too!

That'll have to wait for liquid rewrite, for now it is most likely just pools of goblin or dwarf or elf blood all over the landscape. That's hardly a big change for any Fun fort.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 05:00:21 pm »

Okay, if surface poisons you and you can potentially mutate into nasty monster, then I do not want to know what HFS-fog will do. Because there will be
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(now actually in game, not only in description), right? right?
Other possibility that I wonder about is moddability of this. Could we finally properly mod in radiation exposure?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 05:01:35 pm »

The HFS is getting a revamp too?

WAHT IS IT SOMEONE'S BIRTHDAY OR SOMETHING?
Pages: 1 [2] 3