Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753869 times)

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6945 on: October 18, 2012, 06:54:47 pm »

Mainiac, from the sounds of it, is in MD-1 (Maryland's Eastern Shore), the only district Republicans will hold after this year.  Democrats controlled redistricting, so designed a map to try to ensure a 7-1 Democratic majority.  A really weak map, IMO, it was possible to make an 8-0 map if the Dems hadn't been so keen on not ruffling their incumbent's feathers.  Also, 2 districts have to obey the Voting Rights Act, which is why the map is so damn ugly.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: October 18, 2012, 07:00:17 pm »

There's apparently a libertarian candidate there? http://www.uselections.com/md/md.htm
That also says there's a Tea Party write-in candidate, but eh.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #6947 on: October 18, 2012, 07:12:22 pm »

Meanwhile... voter registrations being dumped in dumpsters:  http://www.nbc29.com/story/19836183/investigation-launched-over-trashed-voter-registration-forms

Also, from http://notlarrysabato.typepad.com/doh/
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Update: An arrest was made
http://blogs.nbc12.com/decisionvirginia/2012/10/arr.html
12 felony counts, weee felonies!
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6948 on: October 18, 2012, 07:34:54 pm »

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: October 18, 2012, 07:35:53 pm »

Man, why do they always pick the pictures that make the accused look like serial killers?

The dude's probably guilty but he hasn't actually gone to trial yet, so showing him in the worst light possible is a bit... dirty and underhanded. It bugs me.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: October 18, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »

It's a mugshot, they do that.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: October 18, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »

We associate serial killers with police mugshots, and thus we end up associating police mugshots with serial killers.  It's kindof inevitable.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: October 18, 2012, 07:51:51 pm »

eh? looks like the Johnson-Stein debate had major technical difficulties.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: October 19, 2012, 01:51:21 am »

Man, why do they always pick the pictures that make the accused look like serial killers?

The dude's probably guilty but he hasn't actually gone to trial yet, so showing him in the worst light possible is a bit... dirty and underhanded. It bugs me.

I'm not comfortable with them showing how face and name at all before he's sentenced. I don't get why foreign media does that, over here it would be considered very unprofessional. Well, if done by the traditional news, at least. Another reason I think the new blogg-journalists is a bunch of unethical hacks.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: October 19, 2012, 09:05:36 am »

It's all a public record already, so you could get the face and name if you wanted to even if the media didn't.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: October 19, 2012, 09:16:56 am »

Well, it doesn't have to be public record. In France for exemple it's not, so there was much much outrage when DSK was paraded around after his arrestation.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: October 19, 2012, 09:18:16 am »

Mainiac, from the sounds of it, is in MD-1 (Maryland's Eastern Shore), the only district Republicans will hold after this year.  Democrats controlled redistricting, so designed a map to try to ensure a 7-1 Democratic majority.  A really weak map, IMO, it was possible to make an 8-0 map if the Dems hadn't been so keen on not ruffling their incumbent's feathers.  Also, 2 districts have to obey the Voting Rights Act, which is why the map is so damn ugly.

It's more that they didn't want to risk having their gerrymander turn into a dummymander if they have a bad election some time in the next ten years.  Also the MD-1st district is a district that could potentially be competitive without a democratic wave.  The district is divided into two very culturally distinct areas with a big old bay dividing them.  The democrats won in the past by recruiting a strong candidate from the eastern, more conservative half.  The republican incumbent is from the western shore, which is suburban not rural and less conservative.  The result is that in the past two elections democrats have done better in the more rural parts of the 1st district then republicans have.  We also have the potential of a very strong candidate in former-republican incumbant Wayne Gilchrest (who's from the eastern shore).  Gilchrest sat out this year but expressed interest in a write in candidacy after Rosen dropped out in scandal, so we might see him in 2014.  If Gilchrest did win the republicans probably wouldn't be able to find a new strong candidate so it's possible that he could hang onto the seat for a few elections in a row.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: October 19, 2012, 10:30:35 am »

It's all a public record already, so you could get the face and name if you wanted to even if the media didn't.

So what if people can get the info if they make themselves the trouble? That's not even relevant to whether it is ethical and professional of the media to broadcastplaster it all over the walls.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: October 19, 2012, 11:06:22 am »

Scriver, the media doesn't care about ethics or professionalism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: October 19, 2012, 11:11:49 am »

Scriver, the media doesn't care about ethics or professionalism.

Sure they do. The media corporations have a professional and ethical obligation to the profits of their shareholders. Reporting anything other than the most salacious and sensational news would violate corporate ethics.

On a less cynical note, what are the ethics behind a journalist choosing to not cover a story because it negatively impacts the opinion of a public figure? That is at least as ethically questionable, if not more so than reporting the names and picture of said figure after an arrest.

Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 714