Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1838271 times)

Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2d - Alchemy/Chemistry Poll
« Reply #8340 on: January 10, 2013, 11:15:21 am »

It is also because I made drow quite epic. On purpose, you should never raid their caravans, because they will ambush/siege you, and you really dont want this to happen. But one drow against a frost giant siege sounds quite epic. You should name him Drizzt. :)

He was basically untouchable, he dodged 30+ giants/unicorns while killing them off one by one, there are countless pages like this one http://i.imgur.com/lvfhw.png
Drizzt would be a fitting name indeed

OverlordTNT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: January 10, 2013, 03:30:08 pm »

just a question(as a major drow fan)- will drow ever be playable?

JodGap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8342 on: January 10, 2013, 04:16:55 pm »

Community help wanted to fill new "click & edit" html5+js Masterwork manual. Now you have no excuse!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121453.0

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: January 10, 2013, 04:52:21 pm »

@kääpiö: Thanks, I will check worldgen, and see if I can make the world a bit warmer... or try less civs.

Glacial was working in 2c, so not sure what you changed.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8344 on: January 10, 2013, 04:53:07 pm »

your manual is graphically laid out analogously to the game GUI, but on the other hand a lot of the info I would want to convey is about creature castes, the relative strength of different metals, or the size and attack parameters of different weapons.  (Or simply random walls of semi-informative text that may or may not fall in an obvious category.)  Things that don't naturally organize around buttons in the GUI.

I really like how clean and professional your manual looks and in principle I would consider using your format for my Orc Fortress manual, but it seems like the clickable html business only allows us to fill in the blanks that you left on the furnaces page.  I don't see how to add stuff that doesn't already have a placeholder, nor (what I would actually want) to add and delete tabs and make whole new groups, put in tables for data, add images and stuff. 

I'm not familiar with Wysiwyg editors in general, nor really know HTML by any stretch.  I just open it up in a text editor, pop in a couple Table and List tags as if it was LaTeX and then hope for the best.  Unfortunately your doc is super complicated and professional-like and goes over my head.

What would really be useful would be parsers that could go through parts of Reactions, Entity, Creature, Interactions, or Materials file and extract the data most useful to players.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:55:14 pm by smakemupagus »

JodGap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8345 on: January 10, 2013, 05:07:34 pm »

@smakemupagus

There are only 2 sections "Editable", that is on purpose, i had no time to add editable placeholders for the rest of the website yet.

GUI alike, easier to enable ON / OFF features and check them on the manual.

BUT

You are right, and i will add more non-GUI related sections for people to fill. Meph said the same, but we also have to finish this sections first, step by step.

I do not have the skill to do a CMS like Wordpress or a Wiki, but i can add a new Editable section everytime you ask me. Just tell me where and about what :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:17:03 pm by JodGap »

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8346 on: January 10, 2013, 05:09:16 pm »

What would really be useful would be parsers that could go through parts of Reactions, Entity, Creature, Interactions, or Materials file and extract the data most useful to players.
The backend I wrote for the Python GUI has the ability to parse that data from the raws (it can read every tag for each entry in each raw file).
That is turned off for now though because it makes the GUI use wayyyyy to much ram, ~550 MiB total ~180 MiB just to hold the parsed raws in memory, and take too long to startup.

I think the idea to use that to generate some part of a manual came up before.
Someone would have to write the code to translate the parsed raw data into some kind of structured html file for the manual to do that though.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:10:52 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8347 on: January 10, 2013, 06:17:51 pm »

@Umbra: These are not frost giants btw, but the fortress defense jotuns. The masterworkdf frost giants would have been a lot stronger.

@arclance: I wouldnt know what exactly we need for the manual besides the reactions/creatures. These are in the 4-digits and it would take too long to write them out by hand. The rest is ok, I only have a small todo list for the manual here, and nothing would come 1-for-1 from the raws.

@JodGap & Smake: I did say the same about it being set up like the GUI. Lets see how it turns out.

@Overlord TNT: Not in near future, at least not done by me. If anyone else writes a mod about drow that he wants to have here, I might add it, same as orc fortress or kobold camp.

@BigD145: I changed frostgiant & automaton ethics and increased their biome-support. Nothing else on the races. But if people add 15 Fortress Defense races and try to gen the world, maybe some of the whitetigermen/something cant spawn because the map is too cold. 
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8348 on: January 10, 2013, 06:23:47 pm »

I bet you were just being rhetorical picking a FD race at random, but White-tigermen actually might be a really good opponent for a cold map (support 5 even on glacier and their civ can start in Tundra) 

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8349 on: January 10, 2013, 06:25:43 pm »

I need some help, I killed a few Griffons, and they dropped "Platinum Skill Aether", what do I do with them?
Also a Deity just turned me into a blind creature, and died. But still, what do they do?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:31:21 pm by Gavakis »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8350 on: January 10, 2013, 06:31:55 pm »

I thought of tigers... sundarbans, in india, with some of the last wild tigers, a tropical mangrove forest. ^^

@gavakis: Sound like an older mod version. Also sounds like adv. mode, and there is nothing you can do with these in adv mode.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8351 on: January 10, 2013, 06:40:23 pm »

@arclance: I wouldnt know what exactly we need for the manual besides the reactions/creatures. These are in the 4-digits and it would take too long to write them out by hand. The rest is ok, I only have a small todo list for the manual here, and nothing would come 1-for-1 from the raws.
Something like making a list of all war-trainable animals would be very simple.
Adding tables of values for weapons and armor grade metals would be fairly straight forward, making the html work for that would be harder.
Making a list of all reactions available to Dwarves with their reactants and products would not be too complicated.
Making a reaction "flowchart" automatically would technically be possible using the data from the backend but it would be quite complicated.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8352 on: January 10, 2013, 06:45:18 pm »

For creatures having the fitting sprite, the name, the description, biome (above or underground) and the bodysize would be nice.

Cave Ogre (awesomely drawn 16pixel image of a cave ogre here)
Underground
Size: a lot
Description: Cave Ogres do things. Take care.

This would be more then enough for creatures. The few with special somethings about them I could add by hand, like firebreath, interactions or itemcorpse.

A table for metals is already included in the manual. 4 actually.
Making a list of reagents would be easy? Even stuff like "has glob producing mat" or whener the reaction draws from reaction_class or hast material reagent ?
Flowchart would even be a lot of work doing it by hand, so dont worry about that one...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: January 10, 2013, 06:50:14 pm »

@BigD145: I changed frostgiant & automaton ethics and increased their biome-support. Nothing else on the races. But if people add 15 Fortress Defense races and try to gen the world, maybe some of the whitetigermen/something cant spawn because the map is too cold.

I tend to leave races alone when it comes to defaults in the settings.exe. No Fortress Defense. Simple wood and soil gets turned on. I don't go with barebones low FPS, but close to it.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: January 10, 2013, 07:34:09 pm »

On year four of my new fort, no major problems that I can detect, though my dwarfs keep finding weapons and armor that I swear I didn't order made, plus a ruby table or something showed up recently, pretty sure I didn't get that many buried things.

One issue with the randomly generated creatures: If creature that can learn skills are generated with the ability to be trained for war it appears to confuse the game and you get "Creature not found" messages when the trainer heads for them.
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 749