Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835222 times)

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can make water from alcohol at the still.

alagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Becasue I really like the idea of minig cart, I spent quite some time into make it work.

I just notice several things might be a bit of problem (not game breaking though).

First of all, there is no difference between Load Stone/Ore and Load only Ore options at the loading station. I mean they did exactly the same thing, by loading both metal stone (ore?) and economic stone altogether. Guess they are both stone in the first place, so there is no difference for dwarves to tell. My work around is to forbid the economic stone around the loading station, and make sure my dwarves carry only metal containing stone in the cart.

Second, a Kea just stole my logging cart. LoL, I mean, it must be a gigantic Kea. Might because the cart is so light (weight 2* only), so the Kea can fly away with it at ease. Funny yet not game breaking though in my opinion.

Last is that I found the dwarves are surely stubborn animals. To load a logging/mining cart full, they sometimes went deep in the inner fort, so to bring the wood up to the loading station on the surface. After that he will move the cart back into the the depth again. Kind of stupid, eh? LoL. So far cannot find any workaround for this. Again, funny yet a bit annoying.

Other than that, the mining cart work like a charm. It did take some times to understand and use to the system well. 

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile

Please don't add adamantine to all magic interactions.  Players like me never reach the adamantine; my computer slows down to 50 fps far too soon.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Ok, many replies today. Lets see:

Load ore needs [REAGENT:B:1:METAL_ORE:NONE], should not take any boulder.

Shiv, the desert world, has low amounts of water by design. Shouldnt surprise anyone. Same goes for volcanoes having no coal nearby. People dont need much of it when they have magma, and I rather have more metalveins in the map, then coalveins. This is also for balancing, since volcano embarks are already way easier then normal ones. Unlimited fuel, instant magma moat, magma traps and access to high tech buildings. (slade ballista bolts anyone?) Same goes for the swampworld and flux. Just realisitcly speaking anything that is a swamp wont have nice marble lying around. Intended, the map should be harder.

I wrote the author of the CivForge Mod, but I dont really know what exactly you want to see added here.

I noted all the bugs/balances, but already I tested every single ammo in the game, they do work.
___________________________________________________________________________________

I made up my mind about the magic system. People want good, evil, fire, shapeshifting and raw magic. So here is what I came up with.

"Magic Type"
"Ranged mage"
"Melee fighter"
"Shapeshifter" - only for one season

Magic - The dwarven way
Magmamancer
Rockbound
The Mountainking

Evil
Necromancer
Demonbound
The Unamed One

Good
Soulmancer (Lifemancer?)
Oathbound
The Angel of Vengeance

This way people can learn/remember the system easier. A x-mancer is ranged, a x-bound is melee, and the high-caps name is Shapeshifting. Any dwarf can shapeshift with the reaction, but will turn back to normal after the time is up.

I also finished another 3 building guides, magma-safe workshop, crematorium and stone grinder.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And added boozebelly goats as an alternate way to make alcohol. They are taken from gustavos science mod, but I added a custom sprite for them as well. I also made generic milk for all other creatures, and renamed hair to wool. A wool rope and wool shirt makes more sense then a hair rope.

@talanic: Then offer an alternative please. The mages are super powerful, how should I restrict them, if not with adamantine ?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:51:57 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Please don't add adamantine to all magic interactions.  Players like me never reach the adamantine; my computer slows down to 50 fps far too soon.

50 isn't that bad!

@talanic
If the mages are pretty end-game stuff (resurrect the fallen dead, for example) i think it's good idea to have them very hard to get.  On the other hand nothing will stop you from mod-the-mod, would probably have to change less than 10 lines of code to make the whole building and reactions cost whatever you like.

@meph: brainstorming, what other materials are hard to get

adamantine, of course is perfect for the dwarven mages

you could also restrict it by making it complicated instead of deep

slade boulder + totem + 4*trap pulley +  4 barrels of spiced bloodwine = "dark avatar"
4*dark avatars + 4*candles + coarse iron throne + slade maul + whatever  = dark altar

iridium thread + 4 silk cloth + 2 large gems + 4 fine wood = "holy tapestry"
4*holy tapestry + 4*fine pewter goblet + electrum throne + steel longsword + whatever = holy altar
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:04:31 pm by smakemupagus »

Dark Archon

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mathematician
    • View Profile

Ah. I have been using normal world gen. That would make more sense.
Same with the normal worldgen (if you were adressing me).
Maybe you are dreaming right now.

"Meh, what's scientific progress without a few dead planets?"

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the game is crashing everytime im trying to create new world, any ideas whats wrong? it crashes randomly when creating history.

Anyw maby someone is up to upload some generated world? i'm looking for some large map with alot of ppl and few kk events, kinda for adventure mode mostly.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

Shiv, the desert world, has low amounts of water by design. Shouldnt surprise anyone.

Actually, it was a surprise.  Not a rage-quit thing, but certainly a "How long can a fort last with only 100 tiles of water?" conundrum. I've played vanilla DF desert embarks before, and one simply has to plan around drilling down to water in the caverns, which almost always have some offmap replenishment.  In the three Shiv embarks I looked at (perhaps an unlucky sample), there was no replenishable water, and very little standing water at cavern level.  I'm not asking you to change the difficulty, I was merely suggesting that the Shiv description in the manual should prepare a player for this major difference.  Hinting to prepare alternative water sources would be perfect.  BTW, I love the visual cavern changes. 

Thanks SecondBreakfast and CheatingChicken for suggesting the water-making alternatives.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shiv, the desert world, has low amounts of water by design. Shouldnt surprise anyone.

Actually, it was a surprise.  Not a rage-quit thing, but certainly a "How long can a fort last with only 100 tiles of water?" conundrum. I've played vanilla DF desert embarks before, and one simply has to plan around drilling down to water in the caverns, which almost always have some offmap replenishment.  In the three Shiv embarks I looked at (perhaps an unlucky sample), there was no replenishable water, and very little standing water at cavern level.  I'm not asking you to change the difficulty, I was merely suggesting that the Shiv description in the manual should prepare a player for this major difference.  Hinting to prepare alternative water sources would be perfect.  BTW, I love the visual cavern changes. 

Thanks SecondBreakfast and CheatingChicken for suggesting the water-making alternatives.

dfhack - liquids

enough said ;)
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile

It has been so long since i last played dwarf fortress and I wanted to say that this mod looks fantastic! I do have a small problem in that my dwarves don't want to take stone or ore to a stockpile, I have to dump and reclaim it to get them to move it. Any idea whats going on with that?

EDIT: Fixed the issue by genning a new world. Guess it was just one of those bugs that happens every now and then. On an unrelated note; I made an adventurer and went exploring only to find out that all the cites and towns had zombies who were tame and could talk to me. -_-
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:05:57 pm by CT »
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

@CT: thanks, but I am sure that something as major as stone/ore stockpiling would have been mentioned before. Hope you get it to work, I know that I dont have problems with those. Obvious question: Did you check all the stockpile settings ?

BTW, I love the visual cavern changes.

First comment I get on them :) Glad you like it, I thought the extreme RGB difference would put people of. Hope your fort will survive with the water from booze and water from pressed leaf.

@HARD: Try shorter worldgen ? I also dont know what settings and worldgen settings you use, so there is little I could say to help.

@smakemupagus: As you know I try to avoid super complicated stuff. The mage-building mats are bad enough as they are, in my mind ;) Simply saying Adamantine = Magic is the best solution I found. It is easy to understand, makes magic an high-game tech, and only needs one item. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

@smakemupagus: As you know I try to avoid super complicated stuff. The mage-building mats are bad enough as they are, in my mind ;) Simply saying Adamantine = Magic is the best solution I found. It is easy to understand, makes magic an high-game tech, and only needs one item. :)

yep, i was just trying to put some idea out there but i think i prefer your solution too. 

@shiv -- i haven't gone there in the 1.5.x series but, in older versions i played there several games and water wasn't *that* bad (maybe i made a point of embarking on oasis?  i don't remember it being a major issue).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:00:00 pm by smakemupagus »

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile

Complexity is really only annoying when it involves a number of counter-intuitive steps and items with no interim uses.  I don't want to make five different types of Rune Totem in order to summon booze, and I'm glad this mod doesn't require us to do so.

For an alternative to Adamantine, how about requiring a Masterwork full suit of plate armor assembled onto a masterwork statue as a host to an Avatar of Light (or Darkness), making it a building component (in addition to making a higher-quality Armored Statue as something for fortress decoration, perhaps).    If you can restrict the building materials required to need masterwork, it'd take some serious effort to make such a suit, and would add more flavor than just putting in adamantine bars.

Marble statue for Avatar of Light, Obsidian for Darkness.  Perhaps a pair of gemstone eyes as well.

Just my feedback; not like I'd think the mod any less awesome if it's disregarded. 
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I cant use masterwork tags anywhere. Quality modifiers for reagents and building materials are sadly missing. The major problem I have with juggling these complex building mats is this: You disable the weaponry/armory, and cant make plate armor. This would mean (in your example) that the magic system would rely on them, since I cant build them without. Every single piece should be self sustaining. I have some issues with that already, the runes for example, or the armorplate for heavier trap components. Or the Tech Lab researching blueprints for guns, even if people disable guns. It is all layers upon layers and a nightmare to manage ;) (now you know the problem a GUI causes)

Plans for now:
 - Finish the third magic building
 - Make the 2 new mages
 - Make the 3 shapeshifting reactions
 - Add hugos adv. bone system (cant use the hand, when your arm is broken for example)
 - Make a "boil egg" reaction, to make eggs themselves edible
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:42:19 pm by Meph »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yes Meph, keep it simple please. i hate when stuff is made on a basis of do this, then this, then this, then this, then this, ad infinium.

also, adamantine is a reasonable reagent for good magic, slade is good for evil magic but has a drawback, you can A, use the ore and only get evil mages once every eight forts, or B, use the stones and volcan.... actually hang on, volcanos are often viewed in ancient legends as outlets of evil and rage for spectral beings/gods.  maybe volcano embarks SHOULD get you evil magic sooner...

alternative,

good: adamantine.
dwarfy: magma based item of some kind.
evil: slade/bones.

also, is it possible to make the damage of a magic attack scale with a skill level?
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 749