Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1834342 times)

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - 0.34.2 - updated phoebus/fixes
« Reply #1155 on: February 22, 2012, 03:39:46 pm »

I don't know if you would have to sacrifice realism for armoured dogs with better attacks.  I see the golems as being dwarves who have had their armor directly attached in a non-harmful way to thier bodies. They are still dwarves on the inside but now they ahve this armoured exterior. For anyone who knows anything aobut War Hammer 40k think Space Marine Power Armor but for Dwarves. The dogs could just have their teeth shaperpened or like Hugo says artificial jaws. Perhaps non-coroding and rust resistant steel attached totheir jaw bones. I hope Dwarves have anesthesia medications.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 22, 2012, 03:43:17 pm »

I think golems in this mod go more with dragon age 1 lore. as in sacrifice a living creature to put its sole in a metal construct.

however your idea is also quite interesting. might go well in LFR or another mod that reaches into the higher tech era.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1157 on: February 22, 2012, 03:47:03 pm »

@palau: turn archeology off, and you have no more deadly traps. I wont just give people the awesomeness of free stuff found in treasures, without the danger of traps. (EDIT: Maybe, in the not so distant future, just buy a slave, tell him to mine it, and be done with it.)

@ranik: Like I said, testing will show how good/bad the idea is. But dogs are still dogs, for wardogs you need cheap dogs, and expensive steel to build the armor first. (3 bars)

@golems: Yep, bombzero is right, the golem is a statue, with the soul of a dwarf. Maybe I should write some lore for this mod (or get a talented writer here in the forum to write it for me ;))

EDIT: Just found an exploit: If you station pets near the Guildhall/Golemforge you get free dwarves/golems. I'll just disappear quickly and fix this.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:49:12 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ranik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 22, 2012, 03:49:15 pm »

I don't know if you would have to sacrifice realism for armoured dogs with better attacks.  I see the golems as being dwarves who have had their armor directly attached in a non-harmful way to thier bodies. They are still dwarves on the inside but now they ahve this armoured exterior. For anyone who knows anything aobut War Hammer 40k think Space Marine Power Armor but for Dwarves. The dogs could just have their teeth shaperpened or like Hugo says artificial jaws. Perhaps non-coroding and rust resistant steel attached totheir jaw bones. I hope Dwarves have anesthesia medications.

Hmm Meph, Hugo maybe a compromise could be made. Lets say you are performing surgery? Could you add a chance to the reaction to injure / kill the dog during the process ? Ie Urist McDogsurgeon screwed up the operation and injured the dog or outright mortally wounded it?

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 22, 2012, 03:49:26 pm »

is there any way to safely deal with those traps? That would be much more !!FUN!! than disabling them

btw, those berserkers are really hardcore. My miner who had that floor dropped on him, he had his external wounds stitched and ran off from the hospital, still with most of his bones broken and his lower spine cut apart :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:52:26 pm by CheatingChicken »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1160 on: February 22, 2012, 03:51:30 pm »

@hugo: If I need different types of metals for the armorclasses, I do believe that I can manage that after the steel-versions are done. Thanks a lot for your help btw, a pleasure, as always.

@cheatingchicken: No. Take a novie miner, give him a hood and a robe, and wish him luck. Nickname him Indie if he survives
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 22, 2012, 03:53:06 pm »

@palau: turn archeology off, and you have no more deadly traps. I wont just give people the awesomeness of free stuff found in treasures, without the danger of traps. (EDIT: Maybe, in the not so distant future, just buy a slave, tell him to mine it, and be done with it.)

by the way meph, im unsure of how i feel about warpstone. on one hand, yea its a danger encountered while mining. on the other it does not give anything useful.

so i have an idea.

unstable warpstone: same as current.
rename current stable warpstone to represent partial stability.
stable warpstone: a gem type that is several times more valuable than pure diamonds. found rarely inside of (renamed stable) and more often inside of unstable warpstone.

whats more risk/reward than sacrificing dwarfs health for super valuable gems?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1162 on: February 22, 2012, 03:54:39 pm »

Hmm Meph, Hugo maybe a compromise could be made. Lets say you are performing surgery? Could you add a chance to the reaction to injure / kill the dog during the process ? Ie Urist McDogsurgeon screwed up the operation and injured the dog or outright mortally wounded it?
Secondary boiling stone that causes inhales bleeding. That way both boiling stones will be competing to affect the dog (or pet) which means there could be no effect, or great success, or injury or success and injury

@hugo: If I need different types of metals for the armorclasses, I do believe that I can manage that after the steel-versions are done. Thanks a lot for your help btw, a pleasure, as always.
No problem, but when I start to dabble into interactions I might need your assistance ;)

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 22, 2012, 03:56:49 pm »

@palau: turn archeology off, and you have no more deadly traps. I wont just give people the awesomeness of free stuff found in treasures, without the danger of traps. (EDIT: Maybe, in the not so distant future, just buy a slave, tell him to mine it, and be done with it.) -snip-

I didn't mention deadly traps, I believe you meant Bombzero. I also agre with Ranik there definitly needs to be a chance for the sugery to go wrong, or for the magic or whatever to misfire, and kill the animal.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 22, 2012, 04:15:06 pm »

Meph... Looking at your raws.. in Common domestic how does this work?

!NOPET!CREATURE:YAK]
   [DESCRIPTION:A large mammalian herbivore.  It has long fur and curving horns.  It can be found in the mountains.]
   [NAME:yak:yaks:yak]
   [CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:yak calf:yak calves]
   [CREATURE_TILE:'Y'][COLOR:6:0:0]
   [BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:30000:30000][UBIQUITOUS]15:30]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:7]
   [PETVALUE:200]
   [PREFSTRING:shaggy hair]
Would the creature right above it not get this creatures tags and other below it (as there are quite a bit of !NOPET!CREATURE:XXXX] tags)
Or does your settings device simply build raws by looking for things that start with [CREATURE and ignore !NOPET! ??

Also Raptor and Horse are done, can't find the mastif in Domestic

EDIT:
Grizzly is done, now just to finish it off with the elephant. I can't find teh mastiff so There is no way I can upgrade it to Armored
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:18:46 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1165 on: February 22, 2012, 04:20:07 pm »

Why ? Look at medieval wars and check the horses for armor. Metal hooves to kick in helmets, and metal plating to protect the horse. Why should magic, or surgery, or anything dangerous be included, when the only thing you do is: Put an armor on a tame animal.

It will be balanced by the needed ingredients. No one wants to waste 3 bars of steel for a dog that cant hurt a goblin in copper armor. My experience is that dogs are only used en-masse in random traps as a last defense, but no one assigns them to his military, because they die all the time and give bad thoughs. With better fighting pets, you actually could use them they way Today designed them to be used. 

@hugo: mastiff is in creature_pet_masterwork, sry.
And all the OFF creatures are at the top. They get turned of simultaniously. The system only respect tokens/tags with a proper object above them, which would be the first (creature:name)... believe me, it was fun figuring this out by yourself. ;)

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 22, 2012, 04:22:04 pm »

(nvm I was wrong)

EDIT: Ninjaed

EDIT#2: Well yeah they would basically sling mail armor across the horse (or have plate shaped for the horse and then fit together before you rode them) but If we are able to turn our dwarves into golems then wouldn't you expect us to be able to do something better with our war animals then just put armor on them? I would assume that if dwarves can turn themselves into  golems they can use a similar procedure for their war animals. The reason we don't use war animals the way Toady designed them is because of how sad the soldiers become when their dogs die. Toady designed the game for realism and that is realistic, losing a dog you considered a pet would be a big deal, but he didn't distinguish between pets kept to keep you happy and pets kept to kill goblins. The emotional impact of the latter on your soldiers should be much less. Historically Dogs would just be released en masse to charge the enemy, very rarely were they used in any super coordinated manner, largely because dogs don't have the brain power to understand strategy. Draping the dogs in armor is certainly something we should be able to do but back to the golems, and raising the undead, many of the things in Dwarf Fortress aren't actually possible. Hence there should be something more advanced to do with war dogs than just slinging mail shirts over them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:43:00 pm by Mr. Palau »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 22, 2012, 04:34:25 pm »

This should be all the armored pets, Untested. Some of them use your generic material/tissues but I'm sure you haven't altered BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS if you have left it vanilla then all will be well

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1168 on: February 22, 2012, 04:37:49 pm »

I have the most horrible vision of a dog-turned-golem, and a 2-ton iron machine just jumping around and running after a thrown stick. Thanks for that. ;)

I also add a little something to all royal drinks. It now makes your dwarves 25% faster for half a season. This way you actually have a reason to brew it. To compensate, it is slightly hader to make, and now needs 2 plants as well. In total: Drink + sugar + 2 random plants = Royal drink.
This is the line in the raws:
   [SYN_NAME:speed elixir]
   [SYN_CONTACT][SYN_INHALED][SYN_INJECTED][SYN_INGESTED]
      [CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:125:START:0:PEAK:1:END:500]

@hugo: Wow, thank you. I will finish up on the reactions/buildings/inorganic mats, and sent it to you. I guess you want to use it in Regen, in one form or another ?

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 22, 2012, 04:45:06 pm »

There is an easy solution to this:
  • Acquire a rope or a chain made from your preferred Material
  • Tie one end of the rope to the golem's arm, leg, or any other suitable limb.
  • Tie the other end (not the one with the golem on it) to a static object, like the ground, or a floor.
  • ???

Just tried this - a chained golem doesn't fight back very effectively, but it is highly amusing to watch a dozen werewolves try to kill it  :o
Interestingly, it was very hard to chain him up - some golems appeared to free themselves and walk away.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 749