Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1834340 times)

Flobulon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - 0.34.2 - updated phoebus/fixes
« Reply #1185 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:44 pm »

@slay_mithos - I believe Meph has made training spears do damage, and thus made danger rooms... dangerous. I understand why he did this, but it does make training dwarves in situations such as yours a lot trickier. I guess one thing you could try is using a military library to train your dwarves. On that note:

@Meph -
  • When creating books in the Scriptorium, does the skill level of the dwarf, or quality of the book affect how useful the book is at all?
  • Are books consumed, or is it sufficient to have one book per skill, per library?

Thanks (and the new graphics look great)!

P.S I just had a fun encounter with 3 Frost Giant thieves - my military refused to arm themselves, meaning every attack just glanced off the giants' armour. In the end I cheated a little and edited the raws to change the armour from iron to ice, but I learnt a valuable lesson. Always keep a squad of equipped dwarves at the ready!

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 22, 2012, 07:15:22 pm »

is there any way to safely deal with those traps? That would be much more !!FUN!! than disabling them
The best would be if the game auto-undesignated traps and warpstone just like it does with warm or damp stone, with optional pausing. But I guess it's not possible within DF's current framework... time to ask toady to generify a bit the system for "dangerous to dig" tiles?

Maybe warpstone would be better with a risk/reward system, for instance if it was found at specific depths or in specific veins that contains very valuable materials. Or if warpstone itself had uses. Right it's found even in the first stone layers and causes trouble even to dig out the first rooms.

Kinda makes me wish DF had some kind of mining explosives to safely get rid of dangerous rock clusters.

P.S I just had a fun encounter with 3 Frost Giant thieves - my military refused to arm themselves, meaning every attack just glanced off the giants' armour. In the end I cheated a little and edited the raws to change the armour from iron to ice, but I learnt a valuable lesson. Always keep a squad of equipped dwarves at the ready!

It's really infuriating that dwarves still do this in the new version (Spent two frickin' hours trying to get my woodcutter to equip his copper axe and attack a Stray Cat Gloom Thrall that was pinning 4 dogs and 3 dwarves in combat, starving them to death. Finally succeeded, but from then on stupid woodcutter switched to a wooden training axe for chopping tree, even when removed from the military)... but not more infuriating than some people telling me that the military "works fine" and that I just don't know how to use it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:20:43 pm by isitanos »

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 22, 2012, 07:19:51 pm »

Suggestion: Knowing that people are going to use the boiling rock/one tile pasture exploit to transform all their dogs/animals with one reaction, why not mod it so that exploiting the the normal way to do it?

Example.
The animal conversion workshop is 1x1 size and you put it in the middle of a 3x3 pasture.
XXX
X0X
XXX

like so. Then do exploit as normal.

Except, change your syndrome so that it only has a 20-50% chance to change the animals and takes one season to kick in. This way the exploit is closed, its still balanced, people who want to effect loads of animals can but must wait several seasons to be sure they all change.

Also then you can keep the high bar cost and it becomes a bit of a gamble (DF style) :D

Stupid Idea? Like it? use it if you like I havent tested it yet (working on next Necromunda mod release)

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 22, 2012, 07:25:03 pm »

Ooh, what's this boiling rock/one tile pasture thing? :)
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 22, 2012, 07:35:25 pm »

It's really infuriating that dwarves still do this in the new version (Spent two frickin' hours trying to get my woodcutter to equip his copper axe and attack a Stray Cat Gloom Thrall that was pinning 4 dogs and 3 dwarves in combat, starving them to death. Finally succeeded, but from then on stupid woodcutter switched to a wooden training axe for chopping tree, even when removed from the military)... but not more infuriating than some people telling me that the military "works fine" and that I just don't know how to use it.

you have to remove his woodcutting labor, not really any other way. even then it bugs out often.

dont mix miners/woodcutters with military, those jobs use an invisible uniform.

so yes, military dwarfs are stupid.
however why didnt your actual military have their weapons and armor on? just let them wear equipment off duty and it fixes alot of problems.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 22, 2012, 07:44:16 pm »

Hey Meph, do you plan on expanding the Golem-transformation idea to other automatons, like the mines and turrets? Here's an idea of how it might work:

Make a new creature type, with two castes:
-Progenitor Factory cast, that can only be acquired from trading with the dwarves, and that births/lays creatures of the second caste, preferably at a slow rate.
-Generic Machinery cast, that can do nothing and can not reproduce. Their only use is to be converted to mines/turrets through boiling-stone reactions that only they are affected by.

IMO that is better than just transforming random animals to mines/turrets, and less expensive than using dwarves (Golems are worth sacrificing a dwarf, but a common frag mine probably isn't)

Though of course that might lead to getting closer to the max reaction limit (If there does happen to be such a thing, someone should ask Toady just to check)
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 22, 2012, 07:45:23 pm »

@Flobulon: I would love to train using books, but neither bulls nor male horses will give me anything to tan when butcherred, and the wild is a little too wild for a hunter to actually be able to survive.
Those giant bees are by far the worst wild things I encountered until now, even Aligators are at least limited to ground near rivers, those can also fly, and when a group exits the map, an other one (or the same?) seems to enter the map at most a season later.

Ah well, I guess 4 years is not so bad for a testing fort, I'll make more tests by butchering every animals I have to see who gives what.

Also, pet turtle lay eggs, but how long does it takes to actually make the babies come out? it's been nearly 2 years they laid, there is a male and two females, I locked the door, and even my hawks had the time to have two waves of kids.

Anyway, playing dwarf fortress is still fun (and FUN), even after all this time spent on it, that's amazing.

Edit, after reading your question, I experimented a bit before with books and libraries:
As noted in the documentation, the books won't always destroy, but I never could do much more than 3 or 4 per book, sometimes even only one, so I guess we are unlucky.

To add to the danger room topic, the documentation puts it in the tips and tricks, under "honorable mention", that is cruel of you to teach the new commers something that WILL get them FUN in a way they would not want while training, a little like when you equipped Steel weapons on training in old versions, where a champion would kill his sparring partners.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:07:25 pm by slay_mithos »
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1192 on: February 22, 2012, 08:02:50 pm »

Ok, lets see:

Books dont affect the teaching time, but there is a 5% chance that the book is destryoed. There is also a 5% chance for an epic book (worth more) with a custom name, when writing books.

I already made the workshop accept multiple pets, just wait till you see it. It looks like a little pasture with restraints, next to it armorstand/weaponrack and cage. I added a note to the manual that the 3 new features, armored pets, golems and guilds are experimetal and prone to exploitation. But I managed to limit golems and guilds to dwarves only, no cheating with pets here ;)

About creating your own landmines/turrets: Would be nice, but I dont know how to set it up. I of course wouldnt use dwarves, but other pets ? (Pet called: Landmine Case, costs only 1, can be transformed (filled) with any explosive?)

Warpstone: It should be deeper, and shouldnt conflict with fortress layout, but for people that dont like it: turn it off. ;) I personally like it, you get a sort of warning from the warpstone veins. I never lost a miner to unstable warpstone. 

About the eggs: Sometimes they are not fertilized, you need to get them out and give the poor animal another chance, otherwise nothing will happen.

EDIT: And testing shows: Gem weapons/armor are indeed not stockpiled. Ammo is, but the other items are not
EDIT2: Should be fixed now. :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:11:26 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 22, 2012, 08:41:59 pm »

About creating your own landmines/turrets: Would be nice, but I dont know how to set it up. I of course wouldnt use dwarves, but other pets ? (Pet called: Landmine Case, costs only 1, can be transformed (filled) with any explosive?)

Yes for the "Landmine Case" pet, and like I said, have another caste of the same kind of creature that actually "creates" (births) the Landmine Cases. This factory-like creature can only be obtained from a dwarven caravan, and probably at a hefty price.
<@Akroma> eh

aantn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 22, 2012, 08:46:20 pm »

I took the liberty to make training spears a little more... edged. Without mentioning it in any changelog. A little sadistic maybe, but I cant help but smirk whenever I imagine peoples faces when their recruits all die in their dangerroom. I mentioned it sometime ago, I am not the biggest fan of exploits. Thats also the reason why my embark profiles use no wooden axes, and stop at 25 drinks, instead of 26 (for an extra barrel)
Thanks for that. After three recruits bleed to death I realized something was up. :/

It's the surprises like this that keep me coming back.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 22, 2012, 08:58:47 pm »

Yes for the "Landmine Case" pet, and like I said, have another caste of the same kind of creature that actually "creates" (births) the Landmine Cases. This factory-like creature can only be obtained from a dwarven caravan, and probably at a hefty price.

Can you make creatures give birth to creatures other then themselves? If not then Landmines cases would have to be able to reprouduce... which means we could breed our own.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 22, 2012, 09:00:18 pm »

Just found a bug - when I press "i" to see the kobold swordsman items the game crashes. I will upload the save if needed.

EDIT: crash happens when i switch from v->general to v->i to check the kobold's equipment. When i prepare v->i first and then go to the kobold, the equipment is displayed and no crash. Now as i pressed v->g to go back to general view the game crashed.

WEIRD!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:04:19 pm by UncleCern »
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 22, 2012, 09:40:14 pm »

Can you make creatures give birth to creatures other then themselves? If not then Landmines cases would have to be able to reprouduce... which means we could breed our own.

What I'm proposing is not a different creature, but a different caste of the same creature. Think queen bee and worker bees. Only the queen bee can reproduce, although the workers are from the same specie.
<@Akroma> eh

aantn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 22, 2012, 09:43:15 pm »

Couldn't you do that with male/female landmines?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1199 on: February 22, 2012, 09:45:01 pm »

Lovin the armored bear.
In DF
you don't hunt bear
Bear hunt you

EDIT:
For landmines make a small pet like creature that breeds, and have a reaction to add explosives/poisons and a case to make it a landmine. This will give it an excuse for being able to move on its own.

Like Shell-less turtle, or cave hermit crab. You make the landmine case look like a nice shell, cave hermit crab moves in and carries this bomb around with it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:54:46 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 749