Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Omens: A Seer's Life.  (Read 6655 times)

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
Re: Omens: A Seer's Life.
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2011, 10:17:07 pm »

"...we each play out the parts fate has written for us. Free will is an illusion"~Kain.

This is my stance, no matter what we do, he will die.
When we approach him with a knife, he'll say it. There is no way to cut out his tongue.

Yeah that's why we knock him out while he is gagged and then sedate so he doesn't wake up. Then we remove his tounge.

Oh an powder Miner I was making a joke at my own expense at my fictional medical background. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. Srry

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2011, 10:59:59 pm »

I have been toying with the idea of tongue removal for a while now, since they first entered the forest, but it just doesn't seem like our style. I mean, we are annoyed at their failure to preserve their own existence, but their horrible maiming and death is not really our problem, certainly not to the point of involuntary organ removal, which is to be reserved for occasions from which we actually derive some personal consequence...

Assuming that the dream has concluded, we should probably just continue our travels. It looks to me as though it is a vision of a previous encounter that the daughter had with an oracle(possibly our mother). Due to the concealed but readied nature of the weapon, it would seem that personal injury was intended, as using the weapon as a concept would require awareness of its presence, preparing it implies some action, and concealing it indicates that the action was against the wishes of any witnesses.

So, in conclusion, our action should be to determine the date of the dream by analysing the position of the cosmic bodies...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2011, 11:08:51 pm »

I'm still for the maiming of the idiot. But It may be more important to figure out this recent vision and why whatshisface got cursed in the first place. (Becausehis girlfriend stabbed a wizard?) so i go with RAMs cosmic body suggestion. But Keep the moron gagged so he can't get himself killed we can always mutilate him later if we run out of options. And check out that dagger. We could have a case of demonic possesion.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:10:27 pm by Monkeyfacedprickleback »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 11:10:12 pm »

Practical Results vs Practical Results.
The issue has polarized and there is no clear right answer?
This post greatly amuses me.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2011, 12:18:41 am »

Dont say anything and go in the forest.
I have a plan. He hasn't said "Please don't make that look while staring at me" yet. All we have to do is cut out his tounge. IF he can't talk he he won't be able to invoke his doom. Don't tell him this. Whisper this to his wife making extra sure to have noone stare or even look at the idiot. THe have the old guy knock him out from behind. Then cut out his tounge.
No. No. No. No. no. nononono, NO.
Do NOT do that.
Do NOT do that.
We are, unlike his girlfriend, not crazy dagger psychopaths.
And we're certainly not above the law.

Quote from: RAM
So, in conclusion, our action should be to determine the date of the dream by analysing the position of the cosmic bodies...

Chapter 2: Dilemma.

You return to the present.

You've never had such a clear omen of personal danger before.  Unable to calm down, you think 'I have to get away, I must escape'  With darting glances at your new companions, you move back into the depths of the forest.  After your first hesitant steps, you break into a sprint, you don't care where you're going, you just want to be as far away from them and the tidings they bring.

But you trip, fall and assess yourself.

It's late afternoon, you haven't eaten a single meal today.  You're tired from travelling the past 5 hours and dusk will quickly settle over you.  The forest is no place to spend the night alone cold and hungry.

But behind you, strangers await your return, who bring nothing but personal danger.  In troubling times, you always turned to divination to calm yourself, but now it's the omens themselves that are causing distress.  You draw from your most comforting of sorts: your tarot cards.

'Seek a balanced path' huh?

"Good, you've calmed down.  Lets go back, you can tell me all you saw over a meal."  You didn't hear him approach.  He must of been there all along.  You're thankful.

Coming into the clearing, Remolo stands up from a stump.  "Usually it's the customer who runs from the seer, the situation must really be hopeless for you to take off like that.

"I promise not to cause any harm for your tellings.  I'll even pa-"

"I don't want your money."

She's taken aback by your refusal of payment.  But your recent vision had two gold coins on the table, you should avoid all of the conditions of the vision if you want to avoid death by her hands.  The conditions... lets see... they were:

Two Gold Coins.
Waxing Gibbous Moon.
Night.
Telling.
Dagger.
Foggy room.
Mirror on the wall.

That list is quite extensive now that you think about it, an easily avoidable death.  It's the last quarter of the moons cycle right now, so certainly not tonight.  This lost soul on the other hand...

...needs serious help.

Derek, Romolo and yourself move into your home, which is anything but foggy.  You don't even own a mirror.

"Ha!"  you snort, walking to your table.  You pull out an apple and start eating, Rhyn went home to get a meal ready for everyone and will be back shortly.

"I'm going to warn you both right now, this telling might not give you a path to escape the curse, I can advise you and nothing more.  Once you've recieved your telling, I don't want to see you anywhere near my house again.  You're dangerous, but I'll give you a telling if you tell me what this 'colleague' of mine told you."  you dictate.  Nodding to yourself, thinking that if you ever see Remolo after half a moon's Cycle, she should be most definitely be considered a threat.

Well she hasn't burst out with protests yet.  'So lets give her that other gruesome idea.'

"Lastly, before we begin.  You can always attempt to remove the curse by having the tongue cut out and I'll only attempt it if Derek concents.  However, such attempts usually cause a paradox where you actually cause the event you're trying to prevent.  If you want to live to be an old man, I recommend you never say 'please don't look at me like that' and most definately not 'please don't kill me.' Do you understand?"

Derek nods, Remolo peers at Derek with a suspicious look.  She sits down across from you, your leg jumps at that, it reminds you too much of your vision, but you encourage her, you want to hear as much as you can about this other seer.

"Five days ago, we visited a seer-"

"Are you sure it was five days ago?  The date of the meeting is important and was it the first time you've ever had a telling?"

"..? Yeah, four or five days ago now, it was my first telling."

Well that confirms your vision is of something that has yet to come.  "Go on.."

"We went to see her to get a telling of our future lives together, she had a beautiful voice and gave her tellings as poems."

"Her poem was anything but beautiful, lets see...
"As the Last Quarter sets and the sun rise-"

"DINNER TIME!"                     
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:03:11 am by Qloos »

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 12:52:29 am »

Eat dinner but not too much, You'll be calmer and it'll be easier to think if you're no starving. Make sure not to eat so much that you get sleepy, And keep in mind whatever dietary requirements an oracle has. You'll need every advantage you have.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2011, 02:32:58 am »

Eat dinner but not too much, You'll be calmer and it'll be easier to think if you're no starving. Make sure not to eat so much that you get sleepy, And keep in mind whatever dietary requirements an oracle has. You'll need every advantage you have.

"Lentil soup!  Enjoy."

A cold wind blows through the room, this is sustinence, not the meal that was promised.

Derek's stare is painful as we eat.  He was making muffled sounds in protest when we began, but those were quickly silenced.

"You can eat after the telling, don't be so impatient, you might lose your tongue if you eat in your current state." 

"Well, I'm sure the soup will be cold by then, but it's a small price to pay for my services."  Is what you say, shuffling your deck now that the meal is over with.

You lay 5 cards on the table and everyone gathers around.

Derek sits to the North; Rhyn, west; Remolo, East; and You, sit South.
Five cards are placed on the table.
The cards can represent many things based on their position.  A card for each person, for each cardinal direction.  The seer represents the future, opposite the seer is the past, center is the present and affects all other cards, to the right of the seer is the world, to the left the supernatural.  Inferring a sign from cleromancy of this level will take all night, but the benefit is that we may ask the cards a specific question.  Something not possible from visions alone.  You sense this will be a very telling telling.

"Ok, I've decided... Arcane, gather unto my sortilege and reveal: __________"

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2011, 02:40:27 am »

where did I leave my keys? Seriously I can't find them anywhere. /jk

What is the best way to prolong Dereks life.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2011, 03:40:01 am »

-with the minimum of consequences that would be deemed undesirable by us petitioners.

The method by which the applicant, henceforth known as 'party A' shall be subject to the desired consequences, as defined in chapter 2, while operating within the parameters listed in chapter 3...
Signature of party A:
Signature of legal guardian of party A, if applicable:
Signature of Oracle:
Signature of guiding powers:
Official seal of licensed oracle:

Oh glorious powers of boundless wisdom, we beg of your sight. How might the cursed one be released from their doom!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2011, 06:08:11 am »

"What coarse of action will end up with every soul in this room alive 30 years from now. "
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2011, 08:09:20 am »

^
This, but make it 50 or so.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2011, 01:06:46 am »

"What coarse of action will end up with every soul in this room alive 30 years from now. "X2
Quote from: RAM
Oh glorious powers of boundless wisdom, we beg of your sight. How might the cursed one be released from their doom!

You remember the first time you ever tried to cheat life, using the power of divination.  It was at a tarot reading, just like this.

Intermission: Fate's Cheaters.

"I wonder if... no way..."

"I'm a genius, ok: Arcane, gather unto my sortilege and reveal 'how do I live until the age of 90!"

You reveal an 11 card tarot stack.

"Hmm, ok the trump card of Temperance is in the position of 'self' and next to it is the 3 of Pentacles on the 'foundation' good good.  The Hermit is at 'blocks & inhibitions' to lay a path.  Ace of Wands on 'Allies'??  I don't get it...

"Death is in a position of 'challenges and opportunities' which sort of makes sense, but doesn't go with the flow of od through the Seven of Cups on 'Situation.'

"The World card is on 'long-term potential'  with The Queen of Cups upside-down on 'recent past' Impossible.

"No, calm down, you can figure this out Olenall.  The Page of Pentacles rests on 'Advice' and The Page of Cups is 'Near Future'...

"The Fool is on 'higher power'?!  My sorts are laughing at me, fine!  I'll take as long as it takes to unravel your mysteries!"

You were at it for a month, without sleep or sun and you barely ate.

You did manage to unravel the message behind the cards, you didn't have enough energy left to get mad when you found it though. 

"Take care of your body, and live in harmony with your surroundings."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:06:43 am by Qloos »

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2011, 10:57:15 am »

Thats girl in the forest is probally dead because of you.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2011, 08:23:33 pm »

Well, I waited an extra day to see if anyone changes their answer.  So I'll go with these two.

Thats girl in the forest is probally dead because of you.

No girls are currently in the forest, whom are you referring to?

Chapter 3: Unfortunate Choices.
End Intermission, back to the matter at hand folks.

You're not going to make the mistake of asking a vague question at such a critical moment, "Oh glorious powers of boundless wisdom, we beg of your sight. How might Derek be released from their doom"
You flip the cards.

You're quite shocked at the number of inverted cards - cards that have a reversed meaning.  We'll start with the basic meaning of each card and work our way up from there:

The Tower symbolizes a lack of choices, a position of no escape.  Having it inverted where Derek sits is a good omen indeed as he may have many ways to escape inpending doom.
Death can symbolize death, but it often is a much simpler representation of change, an inverted Death card is a sign of decay... quite fitting.

"Did you just laugh while looking at my card?"

"No.. heh"

Justice seek a balanced and fair resolution.
Two of Coins (or pentacles) Wait patiently for circumstances to sort themselves out.
The Hierophant Use your inner knowledge to lead.

The vision...

...and lastly: the command phrases.

•"Please don't tell me something horrific"
•"Please don't make fun of me"
•"Please don't wander."

•"Please don't make that look while staring at me"
•"Please don't kill me"

The last vision is of a different moon phase, you doubt its relevance to todays events.

Now to put it all together and find the ray of hope that will save Derek from a most untimely death.  Everyone waits with baited breath for your expert analysis of the signs and you will not fail them.

"Right!  We're just missing one piece of the puzzle, could you finish that poem you started earlier, Remolo?"

"Of course, let's see...
"As the Last Quarter sets and the sun rises,
"The dark haired man enters and su-

BOOM
Crrr
rrreee

WHAM

With a heavy impact, someone knocks down the whole wall behind Remolo, unceremoniously marching into the room drawing a blade.

"Surprise!"               

The toppling wall has pinned Remolo.  The man walks over and kicks her dagger to the corner, putting his own blade to her throat.

Derek cut's free his bindings and rises to his feet in challenge.

"You're taking too long Derek, finish it.  Only your hands can complete our telling, unfortunate as it may be."

"Your 'telling'?"

"Yeah, damn hassle he didn't complete it this morning when he met you.  Now I gotta' hold the guys hand.  Kill the seer, Derek."

"Unhand my daughter, you bandit!"

"Hey hey, I don't like picking on woman either.  But it seems Derek got himself some untimely protection already.  My blade can't touch him."

"I'm forced to take hostages.  How sad..."  He sighs  "Act quickly Derek before I grow bored."

"..Derek, this is no time to be polite.." Romolo gasps.

You don't have all night to read the cards, you better find an answer out of them.  Right now!

▬►How shall Olenall interpret the signs?◄▬

Also, as a side note, I just noticed that flipping the images made it so the text on the cards is backwards, woupsi-doodle.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:56:33 pm by Qloos »

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2011, 08:49:13 pm »

Wait how did that guy knock down the wall.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5