Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87310 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #885 on: March 30, 2012, 12:56:21 pm »

I'll draw up something else then:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Didn't we have some kind of quarantine box? If I remember correctly, we had some when we got the Flarewise and put those unidentified cases in some?

If we do, it might be best to put the EMP device in one of those, just in case.
Your guys in.
Food shipping crates are hermetically sealed and built out of metal (which means they act as natural faraday cage) so Armok used one to store some suspicious stuff in.
It should work here too.
Didn't we have some kind of quarantine box? If I remember correctly, we had some when we got the Flarewise and put those unidentified cases in some?

If we do, it might be best to put the EMP device in one of those, just in case.
What if we made it into something like a missile?  So no one could set off the EMP while it was aboard, and we could fire it out (or at least shove it in a general direction) and then remotely open the box once we're at a safe distance.

BTW, was I turned off?  :P
It's perfectly possible to rig it to arm when launched from the ship.
And yes, yes you where.

Perfect, lets go ahead and turn it into a missile or even just something we can push out a missile tube. Change it to a timer and password arming. Give the password to only a select few. Load it into the stealth bomber we have and give the pilot the key-code too. We can have that bomber deliver it. No need to have it in missile form, when it can drift into them undetected instead.

Can we have all fighters prepped and ready for launch?
Load Ravenhawks into all fighters capable.
All pilots ready-up and lets get preflight checks done. I know there isn't a lot of room but it everyone gets together we can have most of them ready to be moved into position as the holds clear out.

Thats all I can see that needs to be done.
Ready crew?

You order the pilots into their fighters and prepare for combat by loading them up with ravenhawks where applicable
Design, or adapt a machine-gun style weapon for the mech-suit. Then proceed to make a proto-type of the mech-suit
There are SMGs and assualt rifles in the small arms locker or are you looking for something more heavy duty or something uilt into the suit?
Anyway you get to work rigging up the EVA suit with servo motors and a bulkier power system to support them.
Lets stop screwing around with this EMP entirely. We should just have it so the emp can't be armed until fired. Just like how we currently have all our missiles.. There problem solved. Now lets arm the fighters, prep them, and hit this installation.
Rather than worring about the EMP you set up a missile like trigger that arms it once it's launched so you won't have to worry about it going off on the ship.
Though it might be an idea to rig up some means of propulsion.

Fuel and arm the drones. The rocket drone gets 3 fighter hunters.

I design(not build) a small drone, similair to the crawler drones, but smaller. Armed with a small turret, some small turrets and a whole lot of maintenance equipment this drone will land on other ships, cut himself a way through the hull and then start sabotaging it's internal systems. Can be used as a normal repair drone.
Crawler drones arn't exactly big to begin with and you find yourself having to remove functionality from your design that the normal crawlers have inorder to accomdate the turret and smaller size.
In the end your design lacks all but the most important tools and isn't as moblie as a crawler drone but it's got a small turret, can cut into another ships hull plating and can rewire power lines redirecting the ships power through sensitive systems that can't withstand it.

Ok the next update won't be today, it's a big one and I want to get my notes in order first (why the hell wasn't I using spreadsheets to begin with) so you'll probably have to wait untill tomorrow for it.
Sorry about that, in the mean time enjoy this quick note on jumping limitations:

Theoraticly you can jump from near one mass to any similar mass in the entire universe.
In practise this isn't quite the case.
The further the distance of the jump the more likely the jump vector is off a bit and the more risky the jump.
If you where to jump directly to N 5647 (your current destination) from Braben Hall there is a five percent chance that a jump vector calculated with no errors will still result in you never arriving at your destination.
But if you jump to Tabien then on to N 5647 the chance of a bad jump is reduced down to an infintesmaly small (though non zero) chance.
The danger of a failed jump grows exponentialy with distance.
Thus most ships make small jumps, slow down and realign for a new similarly small jump rather than take unnessicary risks.
This is what makes travel across the stars slow.
It's theorised that this effect is due to a unknown variable missing from jump vector calculations, a variable that drive engnieers and mathamticians have been unable to account for or derive (which means it isn't a constant).
This missing variable is the holy grail of modern science which if discovered could unlock the ability for unlimited distance jumps.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firestar status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Flarewise (click to show/hide)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 30, 2012, 12:59:59 pm »

I want to adapt the SMGs to work as wrist mounted weaponry with ammo feeds to separate ammo boxes for each wrist weapon. :)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 30, 2012, 01:26:56 pm »

It wasn't supposed to do detailed just cut through hulls and power lines and possibly hitch rider on fighters. So that it seems like it will perform up to spec.

I help adwarf with his mecha systems.

Design and build a heavy duty welder, so that mechas can do basic repair work and cut into tanks and other armored vehicles/ compounds. (Modular design, so you can switch them ou with other weapons when needed.)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 30, 2012, 01:37:55 pm »

Organize the pilots into groups with a pilot and co pilot in each craft. Test comms and equipment and go over sorties while waiting for the signal. Classify the fighter group as Wildfire Squadron.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 30, 2012, 02:17:37 pm »

Long-termish plans based on that modified crawler:

Mecha suit:

Jumping:
- Given how jumping only requires a specific speed, couldnt you make indefinite jumps by having a single boosting stage, wicch jumps so that it ends up secuirely at some nearby star, and lots of tiny data storage devices in cargo that are slightly disturbed as the ship jumps, such that maybe 0.1% of them arive at the other side of the galaxy?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 30, 2012, 02:30:50 pm »

If you where to jump directly to N 5647 (your current destination) from Braben Hall there is a five percent chance that a jump vector calculated with no errors will still result in you never arriving at your destination.
Does that mean we'd end up somewhere else? (Like somewhere out in inter-solar space) Or would we just be lost in hyperspace for ever?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 30, 2012, 02:35:37 pm »

Does that mean we'd end up somewhere else? (Like somewhere out in inter-solar space) Or would we just be lost in hyperspace for ever?
Or we end to close to the Star, burning up quickly. But either getting to far or to close is deadly, as there are no jumppoints in open space, and there's a lot of empty space to land in.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 30, 2012, 02:36:09 pm »

My guess is we'd end up in a very, very distant galaxy, near a supermassive black hole.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 30, 2012, 02:42:24 pm »

I think we want a boarding drone for that, which I'll be hopefully be able to make later. The Sabotage drone isn't really designed to enter the ship, just breach into the maintenance sections of weaponry, engines, other stuff and sabotage them.

Mecha suit:
Good?  I have nothing to say about this one, except make sure it's kinda modular and can switch weapons.
Jumping:
- Given how jumping only requires a specific speed, couldnt you make indefinite jumps by having a single boosting stage, wicch jumps so that it ends up secuirely at some nearby star, and lots of tiny data storage devices in cargo that are slightly disturbed as the ship jumps, such that maybe 0.1% of them arive at the other side of the galaxy?
Or the all the datapods enter the system individually at high speed, resulting in a cloud of scrapnel flying through the sector. While it might make an effective weapon, it's not very healthy.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 30, 2012, 03:34:21 pm »

I think we want a boarding drone for that, which I'll be hopefully be able to make later. The Sabotage drone isn't really designed to enter the ship, just breach into the maintenance sections of weaponry, engines, other stuff and sabotage them.
Wait, why would we want that? I thought that was just Armok's crazy plan.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 30, 2012, 03:37:37 pm »

Adapt a flight plan and pattern to best fit what they are expecting to see out there at the outpost, to the best of Alec's ability. Leading with a recon vessel and following with the main pattern, adapting to the numbers, makeup, and pattern of the enemy.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 30, 2012, 08:47:11 pm »

I think, screw plans, load all the missile tubes and railguns, and go in guns blazing.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 31, 2012, 01:17:11 pm »

No no, we are not launching fighters upon entering the system.. That is a horrible idea. If things are heavier then expected we would have to wait for the fighters to get back on deck, something we are not fast at since we do not actually have hangers..

We will enter the system. Scan the immediate area. Have the stealth probe check the planet, then attempt a diplomatic solution. Diplomacy will probably go bad then we will nuke them.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 31, 2012, 02:51:52 pm »

It wasn't supposed to do detailed just cut through hulls and power lines and possibly hitch rider on fighters. So that it seems like it will perform up to spec.

I help adwarf with his mecha systems.

Design and build a heavy duty welder, so that mechas can do basic repair work and cut into tanks and other armored vehicles/ compounds. (Modular design, so you can switch them ou with other weapons when needed.)
You set up a modular cutter tool that is built into the wirst of the powered EVA suit while adawarf works slimming down SMGs and building and creating an ammo feed to boxes mounted in the suit's backpack.
It's quickly becoming a quite heavy design but with duel wrist mounted SMGs and several hundred rounds in the backpack to feed to them it can put out a surprising amount of fire power while staying space capable.
But it's become fairly bulky.

Mecha suit:

Jumping:
The mech suit fitting so many new and different capablities into the design takes sacrfices, your design is very slow in it's movements, two weapon slots are given over to the manipulators, the legs are much weaker and more vunerable than their unmodified counterparts and you have serious problems with wieght.
It won't fly in gravity higher than 0.79g or less than standard atmospheric density.

Jumping: this and many other expirements have been attempted.
The problem is it's hard to judge exactly when a jump is going to occour (so the scientists keep their sensor/data storage balls bouncing around at high velocity)
To date no data storage device or sensor used in any of these expirements has been recovered.

Organize the pilots into groups with a pilot and co pilot in each craft. Test comms and equipment and go over sorties while waiting for the signal. Classify the fighter group as Wildfire Squadron.
Wildfire's squadron's comns and equipment checks out and the pilots are sitting in their fighters egar for action.

The Firestar and the Flarewise jump from Braben hall to Tabien and from Tabien to N 5647 in short.
Imediatly apparently on arrival is the wrecks of ships that orbit the jump area.
The Firestar barely misses one as it decelerates.
EM and heat signitures erupt as weapon platforms hidden in the wreckage power up
A great distance away is the world which according to Helios hosts the listening post and in orbit is a laveithian space station and the unmistakeable bright flare of the colassal power output of destroyers.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 31, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »

Our AI drives the ship and our spacers load ammunition. We might as well have our pilots ready to launch if things get hot rather than just sitting in the rec room or running about hauling scrap. If they attack the Flarewise we will need someone to defend it and who's to say the Firestar won't be preoccupied with something else. I think the fighters should stay. That being said, we won't launch until we have a good idea of what we are dealing with and only if the diplomatic solution goes badly.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:01:58 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71