Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87493 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #690 on: February 13, 2012, 11:35:43 pm »

I agree. I only said that it was programmable, as in if you got the secret military tech to make it camo then it would be camo. At this point it's just a fancy, tight, jump suit with pockets, loops, and one port to tell it what to do. Although it's all up to Jerrick. I would actually prefer him to rewrite what I've said about it, that way I would know where my character stands.

If you can't tell I'm new at this, but this thread is neat and I'm super excited.

Oh, and side thought what about organ and muscle grafting and growth in this universe, once again just curious?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:52:27 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:42 am »

Considering it exists already irl... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzpVkhm-Otk
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 14, 2012, 09:52:51 am »

While looking for potential new crew members you find two promising ones on the station in Galvenn you find two pilot and engineer looking for work and decide to hire them aboard.
NAME: Xil Valcenti
(expirenced pilot)
and Zach Martin.

(For reference pilot skill ranks are: Complete and total newbie, total newbie, well below average, below average,  inexpirenced, average, , above average, well above average, expirenced, veteren, extreamly skilled, master, legendary)

USER: Adwarf
NAME: Zack Martin
ITEMS: Toolbox
BACKGROUND: Zack was run off from his world for illegally producing weapons for use in war, and has since decided to go on the run, and join anyone who would give him the freedom to make whatever he wants. Seeing the Firestar he figures it might need his expertise, and his slightly insane ideas for inventions.

If its okay I'd like to join. I have hit, and go internet access, so if you feel ready to update please go ahead, and skip me :)

Examine what supplies I have at hand to begin building my inventions.
People only chime in when they have something to say or do so spotty internet access shouldn't be a problem.
As for supplies you have at your disposal everything available to the crew of the Firestar (you might want to check with the other crew before you use something difficult to get though)

Might have overdone it on the food. Oh well, it's in character.

These things add up faster than you'd expect.

I say we get that armour upgrade for the flarewise, and move a light point defence from the Firestar to it so we have full coverage, but hold of on any more serius weaponry than we already have on it for now.
One problem with that armour upgrade-it needs 2,000 units of armour with the cheapest armour 50c per units the total cost is 105,660c

For the Firestar, we should upgrade two ligh mounts to medium, and add two new medium mounts, making 4 of each kind. The mediums will all get point defence batteries, the lights will get whatever we have in storage except point defence. We should also get loads and loads of missiles obviously.
As I mentioned long ago the sleek nature of the Firestar's design makes it difficult to add even light turret mounts without doing some damage to it's systems, this goes double for adding medium turret mounts.
However you upgrade two of the turret mounts to medium without much hassle.

a Doctor 1/ Hacker 2/ Security 2 set for the Flarewise like we have for the Firestar.
Opps I forgot to charge for the extra crew.
Total cost for new crew members 795 credits

I'd like my character to investigate making some of those missile countermeasures Armok suggested. Also, we might want to consider getting more ships soon. Oh, and talk to helios about some of those more serious contracts he's got.
Through hard work and tinkering you find a way to modify the blinder missiles to release a trail of chaff as they fly.
"I have a confession to make first you see I could do it myself if you just got me into the system but you'd made it clear you didn't want to deal with the big contracts yet...so I kinda faked that hacker's measage...Listen it's a contract for 260,000 credits and all we have to do is convince a house to stop setting up an outpost in system in another houses territory. I'm sorry it was just too easy and too juciy to let go and I thought you'd go after this hacker guy and I wouldn't even have to tell you guys about it. I'm sorry I should have just come out an asked rather than go the needlessly complicated route...It's in the system N 5647,"

Damn Armok, that was a good amount. To buy all the replacement turrets in medium size it will cost 21370c (leaving us with 70000k).

Jerick - Yes I realize the implications of the next set of actions, will have no working turrets.. so to negate that,
Buy all the interceptors, fighter hunters, ravenhawks, and fighter destroyers. We should be safe to run to Braben Hall I assume with that much.
Anyways upgrade all 8 of the Firestars mounts to Medium.
Install 4 Medium Turrets on the Flarewise. Upgrade the other two to medium.
Armor the Flarewise, light plating!
Sell off any turrets we can here.
Missile costs:4,580.
Now as I mentioned above it's very difficult to add new turret mounts to the Firestar so are you sure you want to risk it?
The Flarewise doesn't have that problem and you are able to add the new turret mounts with a single hitch:11,600c
And you're able to upgrade all turrets to medium(eight turret mounts total) which costs: 11,440

Jerick - Those fighters have all been modified to be remote ready. They should not need as much room, since with not needing boarding area for pilots? They should just slip into their spots.. Whats the price to have the docking system set up for a 40 fighter hanger? Or can the Flarewise not handle that? If so how many fighters in a remote fighter hanger can it hold?
Oh and what would it cost to have some pt def batteries shipped here while we get the work done?
Well to launch a fighter remote or not you'll need to do preflight checks, fuel it and fix any small problems you might notice.
Also you'll need enough space to ensure it doesn't clip anything on it's way out.
Stored fighters by comparision can be partial disassembled, keep in large shipping containers and stacked on one another.
A thirty fighter hanger will cost 6,550 and require the scarfice of all the Flarewise's cargo space.
However if you're prepared to accept a very high rate of failure in your fighters you could use a system where you install clamps on the hull of the Flarewise and use them to hold the fighters until combat.
It would only cost 2,100 credits for enough clamps to hold 35 fighters (anymore and the fighters would get in the way of things like the cargo bay doors and radiators and is something that can be done in addition to converting the cargo bays into hangers) but would leave them vunerable to the rigours of space for alot longer than normal, it would mean preflight checks for faults would be impossible and the fighters would be exposed to enemy fire.
Though it also means you can hold way more fighters and launch them simultaneously.

The usual cost of shipping is 10% of the value of the goods + extra fees depending on how far the trader has to travel.
Unfortunatly there aren't very many honest traders willing to go to Braben Hall, lucky though you happen to know a dishonest trader who's already agreed to help you transport stuff at a discount.
He's currently hanging around Braben Hall as it is.
You can send him a measage through one of the Data courier compainies or you could send your own.

I think we should convert some or all of our fighters into stealth fighters.
Quiet engine(Fighter); 3250 credits + 10 units of cooled plates (450).
The cost per fighter is pretty big but it's effective at making your fighters very hard to spot on sensors.

I want in too please. Just curious is there any sort of active camo, biotech, or cyborgitry in this universe?

USER: Gotdamnmiracle
NAME: Alec Field
ITEMS: Bodysleeve with programmable abilities (possible active camo if it agrees with the universe)
Carbonknife (not detected on low security scans)
BACKGROUND: Alec worked for a couple of the Imperial houses mostly flying missions that required a stealthy docking and assault or an ambush. Alec is not trained in actual combat piloting though so anything beyond surprise attacks and hit and run tactics is not his forte. Alec knows how to stay hidden in a ship though. As a result of playing for both sides in house conflicts he had to go into hiding, landing him in a nasty crowd where he was able to learn how to sabotage vessels by either sneaking up and releasing an EMP or stowing away and planting a low grade EMPs in specific locations. This kind of high stress job has taken it's toll over time and Alec has developed a drinking problem.

Alec has been inquiring about the Firestar and is at that smuggler haven (Bramhall I think it was) whenever you decide to run through there.
Sensory stuff:
Ships don't have much in the way of internal sensors but video cameras are cheap tiny and everywhere.
Also most interior scans are looking for electromagnetism which anything electronic will emit.
Electronic active camo is theroreticaly possible but actualy pretty useless.
That's in this setting but in real life they've developed carbon nanotubes that adsorb ridduclous amounts of light (I think this was the article you where referring to)
If they existed in this setting since they can block most forms of radiation (including the ones we use to pick up heat) and leave nothing but a flat transparent shape it would mean almost anything and everything could be made invisible in the dark of space.
All that stuff said your character can be an expert at flying without producing much heat and flying unnoticed.

Biotech, cybernetics and agumentations.
Biotechnology and genetic engineering reached it's peak a few hundred years ago where a complete understanding of the genetic code was achived and the ability to code the genetics of an organism from scratch was discovered.
It was a feat that allowed scientists to create creatures however they liked.
Numerours mistakes, bioterror weapons and acidents forced restrictive laws to be passed that effectively outlawed any form of artifical cells, creatures or organs of any kind due to an overwhelming fear of the technology involved.
These restrictive laws would form the precursor to the restrictive laws endured by the AIs of present day.
Cybernetics and agumentations are another story.
Effective limb replacements are widely available and it's possible to get the more stuble agumentations such as the additional artifical muscle fibres that can lift 100 times their natural counterparts, the joint and connective tissue reinforcement or neural implant.
Unfortunatly aguments (not limb replacements though) are very difficult to get outside of the USL due to public attitude that sees such aguments as a sign weakness and a strictly USL thing.
If you are found to have them in the Collective of Imperial Worlds you can expect to be called a traitor.
Limb replacements on the other hand are available in every hospital so long as you go in missing a limb.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firestar status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Flarewise (click to show/hide)

(whew)
Trade post
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:56:49 am by Jerick »

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 14, 2012, 11:34:42 am »

Xil Valcenti whistles as he walks through the ship, giving it a quick lil look over "Damn. This is a damned fancy ship you got here...now I was a wondering...Which of these little fighters do yall want me flying? I'd like to know before hand so I can do a lil custom tuning on it..."

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 14, 2012, 01:27:47 pm »

> Not owning a vessel or fighter of his own Alec looks around for odd jobs or contracts that can be done on station.

Alright forget the sabotuer thing Alec flew stealth and quiet insertion teams. (Changed background)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:39:06 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 14, 2012, 02:16:33 pm »

Ok.  Lets head to Braben Hall to pick up those new point defense turrets.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 14, 2012, 06:22:09 pm »

Begin construction of Auto-Turret Drone Frames for completion later.

Auto-Turret Drone: Any Automated Robot Drone equipped with light weaponry, and high mobility.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 14, 2012, 07:01:11 pm »

Damn Armok, that was a good amount. To buy all the replacement turrets in medium size it will cost 21370c (leaving us with 70000k).

Jerick - Yes I realize the implications of the next set of actions, will have no working turrets.. so to negate that,
Buy all the interceptors, fighter hunters, ravenhawks, and fighter destroyers. We should be safe to run to Braben Hall I assume with that much.
Anyways upgrade all 8 of the Firestars mounts to Medium.
Install 4 Medium Turrets on the Flarewise. Upgrade the other two to medium.
Armor the Flarewise, light plating!
Sell off any turrets we can here.
Missile costs:4,580.
Now as I mentioned above it's very difficult to add new turret mounts to the Firestar so are you sure you want to risk it?
The Flarewise doesn't have that problem and you are able to add the new turret mounts with a single hitch:11,600c
And you're able to upgrade all turrets to medium(eight turret mounts total) which costs: 11,440
Jerick I'm not sure what you mean, I did miscount and say to upgrade 8 turrets on the Firestar, and the Firestar has 6. So I meant upgrade those.. Anyways, what I meant was both the Firestar and the Flarewise would have 6 Medium Turret Mounts after the work was done. Yes I understand they would be empty.. I figure we have the money to have some point defense shipped here..

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #698 on: February 14, 2012, 07:42:20 pm »

It'll cost extra to add turret mount's to the firestar.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 14, 2012, 09:04:03 pm »

I don't mean add, I mean upgrade them, so we have no light turrets left. We have the money to upgrade it all.. I think Jerick did it, and just didn't update the ship statuses.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 14, 2012, 09:08:02 pm »

Do we have the money for medium turrets though? because any turrets we have now won't fit on anything we upgrade.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #701 on: February 14, 2012, 09:20:54 pm »

We have plenty of money, and can sell our current turrets easily enough.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 14, 2012, 09:23:33 pm »

Did the math uptop, all new turrets is 20k. I think we just spent 20k for the mounts but its unclear.. You guys agree with the move though? So when Jerick reads this he can just update it?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #703 on: February 14, 2012, 09:30:28 pm »

we currently have 60k left.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 14, 2012, 09:37:25 pm »

So having the pd turrets delivered at 10% mark up is only 11000k. Leaving ~50k. So I'm happy with that.
Then we can go to Braben Hall ourselves and buy a huuuuuge load of missiles, and 4 more offensive turrets.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 71