Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising  (Read 28836 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2013, 09:46:47 am »

Need your honest opinion. Is worth the buy or not because from I heard the game is good but some people claim the developer is doing to some shady things like silencing opinions that think negatively of the game. And I don't want to throw 26 bucks on what could be another Eador.

I have not played it in a month, but at the time it still needed quite a bit of polish. Designing ships is good, the rest of the game? its debatable.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2013, 10:36:48 am »

Need your honest opinion. Is worth the buy or not because from I heard the game is good but some people claim the developer is doing to some shady things like silencing opinions that think negatively of the game. And I don't want to throw 26 bucks on what could be another Eador.
There wasn't, to my knowledge, a single silenced opinion on the entire forum so far. A few threads were locked (and not by Zero), and we've collectively ousted a particularly unhappy person who's used sockpuppet accounts on Metacritic to bomb the game with zero-point scores (all because he didn't get his Steam key, which, seeing as he bought it on Desura, he wouldn't have been getting at all if Zero wasn't feeling like it), but there hasn't been a single "silencing" of a bad opinion. We all know and agree that the game lacks polish (and french, and german, and russian... er), and that various problems and bugs, that we all were finding and that Zero was fixing throughout the whole beta stage, had delayed the development of features and forced the game to enter the set-in-stone "release" point on Steam in a rather unfinished state. We all know that there is still work to do. Some people still have crashes (a lot of the time due to odd language settings or security/antivirus issues), some people still have slowdowns, there are still bugs and there's balancing and whole unimplemented features - and multiplayer - still not done, but the game is fun to play - and mod - even as it is now. And most importantly, we've seen how Zero worked during the beta. We have reason to believe that he'll push the game to its completion.

If you are wary of bugs and issues, and don't want to involve yourself in the game while it still has a month or two or three of development to being "complete", then you might want to wait. You will, however, miss out on all the fun in the meantime. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2013, 11:10:28 am »

It's okay.

It's definitely more RTS-ey than 4X-ey. The balance is kinda wonky and the tech tree is pretty short. Designing ships can be fun but it's quite unintuitive as there isn't much information on just exactly how much power / ordinance will be used by your ship. Watching space combat is pretty cool (especially once you're past the fighters only stage) and I even had a cruiser than had lasers facing every single side of the ship so every time it got surrounded it would flash out this huge death blossom.

The game also suffers greatly from the standard "exponential research rate" thing that other 4x-type games tend to have. Where tech takes an eternity at the start of the game, but past a certain point you just zoom through all of them within half an hour. It's quite annoying. It's particularly bad in this considering the tree itself is relatively small.

There's also quite a few things I don't understand. Like how exactly the space roads are designated (seriously, I can't even get rid of the enemy's colour or build on it what gives?) or why they even need to exist in the first place since your own ships don't have the AI to follow them if they're not in a straight line. The lack of the ability to scuttle ships. The mysterious auto-purchasing order thing from the fleet menu which likes to assign my newly colonized worlds to build flagships. I'm also not a big fan of how few base-ship types there are either since they can be quite limiting.

So again, I'd say it's a solid "okay".

Dwemeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2013, 11:21:24 am »

There wasn't, to my knowledge, a single silenced opinion on the entire forum so far. A few threads were locked (and not by Zero), and we've collectively ousted a particularly unhappy person who's used sockpuppet accounts on Metacritic to bomb the game with zero-point scores (all because he didn't get his Steam key, which, seeing as he bought it on Desura, he wouldn't have been getting at all if Zero wasn't feeling like it), but there hasn't been a single "silencing" of a bad opinion. We all know and agree that the game lacks polish (and french, and german, and russian... er), and that various problems and bugs, that we all were finding and that Zero was fixing throughout the whole beta stage, had delayed the development of features and forced the game to enter the set-in-stone "release" point on Steam in a rather unfinished state. We all know that there is still work to do. Some people still have crashes (a lot of the time due to odd language settings or security/antivirus issues), some people still have slowdowns, there are still bugs and there's balancing and whole unimplemented features - and multiplayer - still not done, but the game is fun to play - and mod - even as it is now. And most importantly, we've seen how Zero worked during the beta. We have reason to believe that he'll push the game to its completion.

If you are wary of bugs and issues, and don't want to involve yourself in the game while it still has a month or two or three of development to being "complete", then you might want to wait. You will, however, miss out on all the fun in the meantime. ^_^
Well that answers some of the questions I have but I'll wait until a more finished product is out before buying. But It sounds like it has the workings of a great game, possibly reaching the levels of MOO2 but until then its just untapped potential.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:25:21 am by Dwemeral »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2013, 11:22:11 am »

The lack of the ability to scuttle ships.

Shipyard > Ship List > click the circle with a line through it on the ship you want to scrap. Everything else you said is a legit concern, though.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2013, 11:25:11 am »

I remember back at the first playable demo thingy he released, there was an adventure mode where you would control only one ship and pledge allegiance to a race and help them anyway you could, that would have been awesome but it has been scrapped along the way, but hell who know it was in once, maybe it will come back later, hell even the RTS/4X thingy wasnt even complete, you had ONE solar system and that was it, it was more of a tech demo than anything else.

I cant wait to see what this game will look like in a few month to be honest because even with all the issues you WILL have a blast :D
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2013, 11:28:25 am »

I remember back at the first playable demo thingy he released, there was an adventure mode where you would control only one ship and pledge allegiance to a race and help them anyway you could, that would have been awesome but it has been scrapped along the way, but hell who know it was in once, maybe it will come back later, hell even the RTS/4X thingy wasnt even complete, you had ONE solar system and that was it, it was more of a tech demo than anything else.

I cant wait to see what this game will look like in a few month to be honest because even with all the issues you WILL have a blast :D
That's definitely coming back.

The dev(s) have stated it's coming back.

The main menu of the current version even has a greyed-out "Adventure" option I believe.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 29, 2013, 12:53:29 pm »

Ohhh great i must have missed it, but im frigging glad its coming back, make my think of distant world in a way. Set everything to automatic and grab a ship yourself and have a blast :D, help your race the way you want! But yeah now my frigging dryer is dying on me, im going back to try to jurry-rig it so it last a few more days/weeks....
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2013, 11:55:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sales++;

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 01, 2013, 05:59:54 pm »

Sales++;
HOW the crap are you NOT moving backward while firing?!?!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 01, 2013, 06:01:58 pm »

Sales++;
HOW the crap are you NOT moving backward while firing?!?!
Maybe he is! It's hard to tell from a still image :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #251 on: May 02, 2013, 06:39:37 pm »

It is a very good game, but it could use a lot of polish still. I hope the devs won't just randomly abandon it.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 02, 2013, 07:41:15 pm »

It is a very good game, but it could use a lot of polish still. I hope the devs won't just randomly abandon it.
Have you seen the changelog?  Updates are fairly consistent.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 03, 2013, 01:52:26 am »

Playing my third game now, and really enjoying it. The first game I was utterly destroyed, having tried my typical 4x strategy of out-researching everyone. With 2 planets, only one of which was viable, and no military, I didn't stand a chance against the hordes. The second game, I was also destroyed; in this game, I focused entirely on expansionism. Every habitable planet I came across had an outpost plopped down. Unfortunately, they were all barren planets, and so I found myself deeply in debt, without a military, without any useful colonies, and having war declared by about half the enemy races.

In my new game, I went for a smarter approach to colonization only terran or ocean worlds. Unfortunately, I didn't create a military aside from a token gesture of about 5 fighters. Naturally, I found myself at war with 4 races, 3 of which invaded and took over half my worlds. Oddly enough, this was the best thing to ever happen to me. I had once again expanded too quickly, and so had a bunch of planets draining my economy. Planets which they gladly took upon themselves, throwing me from -10 income to +20 income. I then turned my homeworld entirely to fleet production, and soon went from #8 to #1 in military. I made peace with one race, in exchange for some tech, made peace and immediately broke it accidentally (twice) with the Vulfen, and proceeded to kick the crap out of them until their military is now #8 and I can bomb their homeworld at my leisure. I may simply destroy them soon, since I've already managed to drain them of their useful tech.

Still early game, very enjoyable. I particularly like the emphasis on military power while simultaneously not really allowing for any tech-race victory and making catching up not impossible. The homeworld also has weight to it; something I really like. It's not like GalCiv or SoaSE where after the first 10 minutes, the homeworld is no more important than any other planet. The homeworld is still vastly important despite being several hours into the game.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2013, 05:41:50 am »

If you're gonna play expansionist, you'll wanna pick up the cybernetic trait. It's a big middle finger to the limits of expansion when you can simply spread onto barren planets and support your population with pure production.

So in terms of traits, what does everyone like?

My personal list:

Physical positive traits are Efficient Metabolism, Fertile and Smart. Your colonies will grow fast when you settle them even without an extensive freighter network to transport colonists to new planets, and your research will progress swiftly. Negative traits are Repulsive and Timid, because diplomacy is for weaklings and ground combat is for losers who don't know the joy of nuking their enemies from orbit.

Sociological positive are Industrious and Meticulous so you have 25% bonus income from tax and a high rate of production. Negative trait here is wasteful, since the 25% penalty on maintenance is offset by Meticulous, and you gain a net 3 points for no great loss.

History and Tradition positive traits are Cybernetic, the big expensive trait that eliminates your dependence on food. Negative traits are Small and Polluted Homeworld, since you don't care about the fertility penalty and you're going to be a rapidly expansionistic empire. With the bonus point you have left you can get a nice prototype flagship to explore the galaxy with when you start.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21