Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising  (Read 28820 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising
« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2013, 07:53:48 am »

Wait, you can rotate firing arcs?

Yup :D

Also I wish there was a tech for 360* arc cover for turrets or turrets which swivel round and track targets.

Also has anyone just put a flamethrower one on the the smallest ship sizes and made swarms of flamethrowing ships :D
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Hoverdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLife
« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2013, 08:06:35 am »

Also has anyone just put a flamethrower one on the the smallest ship sizes and made swarms of flamethrowing ships :D
Hm. How is flamethrowing in vacuum explained?

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 24, 2013, 08:14:53 am »

Hm. How is flamethrowing in vacuum explained?

It's not a real flamethrower, it's a plasma thrower but it looks like a flamethrower. Which is actually more logical than the usual unexplainably self-contained plasma projectiles.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:16:53 am by Sirian »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2013, 12:17:15 pm »

Yup :D

How?

Drag and drop with your mouse. It doesn't work on every weapon, it's mostly for turrets

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2013, 12:28:39 pm »

Specifically, weapons with a V shaped firing arc cannot be turned.  Weapons with a "field" display can.  When you select the weapon, or press tab, it shows the arcs.  Most weapons have a fixed mount and a turret variant, with the turret having lower stats but able to have its arc turned.  Also in general, 2x2 guns always have turret mounts, but 2x3 never do.

Now all we need is directional shields, using less energy but only offering protection along one arc.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 24, 2013, 12:59:09 pm »

There's one exception to the "V Arc" thing - the beam laser turrets have V arcs, but they can be moved.

Also, does anyone know if the heavy laser cannons being internally mountable is a bug? Because it kinda paves the way to some pretty darn heavy-hitting fighters.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:07:20 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2013, 04:28:10 pm »

I like the game. I can see the areas where it is still pretty rough, things like how many clicks it takes to set a planet to building something.

I agree that the game really really needs an arena to test ship designs. Also, I don't mind the fact that some guns can only point forward, but there should be something to at least rotate them when you put them on stations.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2013, 04:40:58 pm »

No, there should just be place-anywhere (external) things called Maneuvering Thrusters, that provide Turn and nothing else. Improve maneuverability of capital ships, or allow stations to rotate around to face the enemy.

Though rotating modules is useful too. What's the point of being able to order a ship to face left or right to the enemy, without the ability to build broadside-firing battleships?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2013, 04:50:28 pm »

No, there should just be place-anywhere (external) things called Maneuvering Thrusters, that provide Turn and nothing else. Improve maneuverability of capital ships, or allow stations to rotate around to face the enemy.

Though rotating modules is useful too. What's the point of being able to order a ship to face left or right to the enemy, without the ability to build broadside-firing battleships?
You hit it square on the head.  Both points.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2013, 12:46:33 am »

You hit it square on the head.  Both points.

The problem is on things like stations where the bottom sections don't get to have point defense at all because they fire into the station rather than out.

90 degree rotations would work fine.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2013, 03:40:03 am »

Uh, laser PD is turreted. You can get it to cover as much space as you want. So it's a lifesaver on stations especially. A bit of a hassle to set up if you got like a dozen of them per cluster, but highly useful nonetheless.

My plan to mod in actual PD vulcans has so far failed. I can't even rename the current "PD" vulcans to Vulcan Cannons, it seems. WTH, game?

edit: Haha! :D
Might want to move 'em over to the PD research tree rather than give them out at the start though.
And I believe I succeeded with the maneuvering thrusters as well.

In other news, the element structure within the game is horribly complicated. I can't imagine it being anything like "easy" to mod unless they streamline it a bit.

edit2: This took me 10 minutes to set up:
I understand some of the benefits of being able to build these in arbitrary locations using the constructor ships. However, this sort of direct way may be in many cases preferable.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:08:35 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2013, 08:36:49 am »

Fun fact: You don't need a cockpit on a platform.

Otherwise, those modded turret arcs look nice.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2013, 09:56:10 am »

You don't need one, but it won't have self-repair without it.

Plus, on a platform modded to be buildable from a planet, you actually do need one. ^_^

And those aren't just modded arcs, those are separate PD Vulcans. Actually PD now, too. Normal Vulcans, while called "PD", don't actually shoot at missiles.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2013, 02:24:34 pm »

You know, I am rather impressed by the Cordrazine, dispite not having a titan size hull, their largest hull cosists of about 70% IO slots, so you could in theory cover it with ancient shield to make for a very energy efficient ship, downside is that it is only 650 something slots
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21