Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising  (Read 28882 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2013, 01:23:57 am »

from what i've played...there only thing that bugs me is the small tech tree, ai cordinating rushes at you and pathfinding from subspace network(ships will go to the closest point on the subspace network before leaving it, even if that would take twice as long)
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2013, 04:53:50 am »

Honestly so far I am okay with the tech tree, especially given that certain things can expand it slightly and it actually seems to take a fair amount of time to go through.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2013, 05:09:03 am »

Wew, this game is hard even on Normal. While I was pushing against the Remnants to claim a solar system with three great planets, the Insect Robots invaded my home solar system (Sol). I was still stuck with Vulcan Fighters, so I played it by numbers and managed to force them to retreat with waves of fighters.

When I thought it was over, came their Flagship, a cruiser that could pop my fighter with a single shot of beam lazor.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2013, 05:10:59 am »

Okay so does anyone know what you can do with the low tech planet you can find?

If you're not familiar with that, skip this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2013, 06:47:10 am »

Okay so does anyone know what you can do with the low tech planet you can find?

If you're not familiar with that, skip this.

On another note, here's something I didn't know at first : you can see what type of anomaly you'll get and land troops on a planet and without colonizing it. Just select the planet and click the flag icon in the lower left corner : you'll see the surface and a "troops" button from which you can land any orbiting troops. The tombs can have artifacts, research bonii and money, the crash sites can unlock secret parts (not techs), give you a free ship (usually too slow to be of any use IMO), and money maybe (?). The other one is a building giving 2 production for free if you colonize this planet (I dont think that it does anything else). If you're quick, you can send your troops back to orbit after they have explored the anomaly, so that they won't get killed by the monsters that appear. If you are fast enough to explore the galaxy and send marines, you can easily get your hands on most of the artifacts, and that's usually a huge advantage.

Right now, my biggest issue is that the AIs seems to consider me weak even if I have the means to kick theirs asses. I think that's because my ships are optimized, so I only need a handful of them, whereas they spam cheap fighters and get overconfident in their own military.

Also, does anyone here use the subspace platform thingie to make routes between planets ? I realized that the AI builds this stuff, but i'm not sure if it's really worth it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2013, 06:58:14 am »

The subspace projectors are so worth it once you research subspatial dynamics. It gives your ships a 50% boost in FTL speed in your empire's borders.

I've found the free ships from the crash anomalies to be excellent for system defense. Just park them around a planet likely to be attacked.

You can also refit them I believe to make them faster, though you'll lose the advanced techs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2013, 09:09:01 am »

A single projector will cover an entire solar system.

I'm trying to find a use for platforms, actually.  The problem is they do not turn.  I mounted like 6 rockets on a platform, but they're useless because they only face 'galactic north' and the AI won't fire seeking missiles unless they're already in the arc.  So all of the GOOD weapons that are spinal mounted, become fairly useless...

All I can really think is mounting PD Lasers, as those can have their arc changed.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2013, 02:00:04 pm »

A single projector will cover an entire solar system.

I'm trying to find a use for platforms, actually.  The problem is they do not turn.  I mounted like 6 rockets on a platform, but they're useless because they only face 'galactic north' and the AI won't fire seeking missiles unless they're already in the arc.  So all of the GOOD weapons that are spinal mounted, become fairly useless...

All I can really think is mounting PD Lasers, as those can have their arc changed.
I haven't gotten to any of the high tier weapons, but I mounted flak cannons on platforms and they worked exceedingly well in small clumps once I arranged the fields of fire for each one to face 'outwards'

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2013, 04:16:16 pm »

I'm trying to find a use for platforms, actually.  The problem is they do not turn.

Is this a bug? I hope so :/
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2013, 04:23:14 pm »

It really hasn't been a problem for me. You can set the arc of non-spinal weapons so you have 360 coverage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2013, 05:16:57 pm »

It's not really a 'bug' but it seems like a big oversight to me.  Since a platform has no engine slots, it cannot support engines, and thus has zero turning speed.  Platforms need to have a built-in turning speed of 100 or so to avoid becoming totally useless, and it won't let them track fighters (that's what swivel-arcs are for) but it will let them bring railguns against capital ships.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2013, 11:05:50 pm »

In other news, has anyone actually designed a full titan class ship? I started to and I ended up just spamming guns everywhere and eventually decided not to use them. They're ridiculously large and I don't actually feel like taking the time to make a well designed ship that large when I could build a lot of smaller ships with the same guns.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2013, 12:37:13 am »

One titan if carefully planned can be your solo army, i made one once and nothing could beat it. As long you engine/fuel/power/generator are still running you can always turn back and go repair. But it will take one hell of a beating to get to that point.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2013, 02:37:42 am »

Canopy Shields become OP on a Titan, along with Ancient Reactors (they're like 3x more size-efficient than Antimatter), it's expensive as hell, but I got like a dozen canopy shields and then a few subspace artillery, plus some laser flak and auxiliary 'cover the sides' weapons and just railroaded through enemy space.

The incredible thing, is the speed, actually.  I believe I had a pair of Titanic Warp and 3 Medium Combat and some extra small engines, and I got more maneuverability and speed than a fighter!  The AI never brought Polaron or Phased Ammo to bare, so I just stomped over everything with 4 layers of shielding.

Although the cost for this was like 5,000+ so it took ages to actually put together.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2013, 10:08:24 am »

Americans are currently being asked to pay $24.99...Brits? £20.99...works out that Brits are having to pay £4.00 more for the same game...whyz?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21