Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150201 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Striking the ROM! (In a productive way)
« Reply #180 on: December 03, 2011, 02:49:21 pm »

Cool! I see you used bits or Parasect in it.

Also I finished the Crundle Stage 2 evolution sprite. It's not quite as good as the first one in my opinion , something about it seems kinda off.

It's FEF, not FEOF

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2011, 03:05:27 pm »

It's a bit lacking in both definition and shading is the problem, I think. A good base, but it needs a bit of detailing to get it up to snuff (and more contrast in the shading that's there)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2011, 04:18:00 pm »

I fixed it up a bit
It's FEF, not FEOF

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2011, 04:34:27 pm »

Hmmm... Macake!

Which looks better? Also, any critiques?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 04:38:11 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2011, 04:36:33 pm »

The first one gets the point across better, but I prefer the second as it looks less dull
It's FEF, not FEOF

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2011, 04:51:40 pm »

Fluffy wamblers.

That is all.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2011, 05:00:53 pm »

Fluffy wamblers.

That is all.

Make it absurdly weak at the start, but then have the last move it learn be an attack like High Jump Kick (Bonus for doing extra damage to steel types  ;D)  or is a one hit KO attack. Because of the bronze colossus incident
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:35:49 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2011, 05:32:47 pm »

Fluffy Wamblers are the Magicarp. No discussion.

Bluerobin, I prefer the first one just because the hands aren't distinct enough in the other two. The eyes are off. Giant uneven pupils make him look like he's tripping balls.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2011, 05:38:16 pm »

Yeeaahhh the face/head needs some work. The legs could probably be a bit longer too.

Edit: Allllright. Made some changes. I still need to give them new eyes... these aren't a lot better.

Edit2:Blarg. I don't like this any more :P

Edit3: Frosty legwarmers! I'd like to put some sort of ice element in the picture, but I really don't know how at this point... :-\
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:53:19 pm by Bluerobin »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2011, 08:19:45 pm »

I like it, but I feel like it's a bit too... tame. Like it should be more dynamic.

And at the very least it could do with being a bit bigger.

In fact, it suffers from mostly the same problems my Cat-2 does. (Really good color stuff though!)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2011, 11:01:26 pm »

I'm really strongly against changing the type chart. That's something that's been the same since basically forever and changing it just means you have to have a copy of the new one as a reference at all times (or build one yourself as you figure it out I guess?) to be able to figure out what moves to use. And that's assuming you know what type you're going up against with all the new mons. With new mons AND a new chart you really just have to use moves at random until you figure out what's useful against a certain mon, and then you don't know why it's super effective for sure, especially if it's a dual type. Honestly the combination of those factors is why I stopped playing touhoumon before the second gym.

I agree with the swap of Destiny Bond and Shadow Punch, that's been changed. I'm debating switching Uproar for Rage.

The Uncarp line could probably do without Moonlight, now that I'm looking at it. I think it could be swapped for Mean Look, but it feels kind of odd to have two starters that can both stop escape/swapping. I swapped Bone Rush with Bone Club for a bit less damage (but I like a skeletal carp having a bone move). Horn Drill makes sense with the description of the final evolution (since it has a giant horn and all). Was your main issue with it a thematic one or a technical one? "yeah what?" doesn't really mean much.

Stockpile's weak in Gen 3, but Spit Up is surprisingly powerful (100/200/300 base damage for 1/2/3 stockpiles). I agree with Milk Drink obsoleting Swallow where it's at (swallow is 25%/50%/100% recovery) so I moved it down. It's kind of a thematic gimmick at this point. Switching out Sheer Cold for Blizzard works though.

The cute-weakling-turned-offensive-powerhouse unicorn family moveset:
Code: [Select]
Tackle 1
Odor Sleuth 1
Fake Tears 6
Sing 9
Absorb 12
Sweet Kiss 15
Horn Attack 18 18
Ingrain 21 22
Metal Claw 25 26
Metal Sound 29 30
Magical Leaf 33 34
Body Slam 37 38
Psybeam 40
Jump Kick 40
Leaf Blade 41 42 45
Steel Wing 45
Morning Sun 45 47 50
Moonlight 45 47 50
Solar Beam 49 52 55
Meteor Mash 49 52 55
Calm Mind 57 60
Swords Dance 53
Tail Glow 53
Screech 53 57 60
Psycho Boost 66
Superpower 66
It's a little harder to interpret because of the divergent evolutions, but yeah.

And yeah, assume evolutions' attack tables include the moves they could have learned if they evolved at the earliest level.

Edit: eeeeugh most of those moves are really powerful for the level. Oh well, maybe I'll rework it later or maybe its stats will make up for it. I'm going to go do other stuff for a while.

I agree about not mixing up elements just for the hell of it- part of the reason Pokemon's system works is because A) It's fairly easy to guess typing just by looking at the critter and B) Genre Conventions- you don't have to explain a basic elemental rock paper scissors mechanic because everyone who's played an RPG ever already knows it, and I'm willing to wager most of us grew up on Pokemon, so the nuances of that particular system are already familiar to us. Not saying it's always a bad thing, just that we've got enough on our plate without trying to mess with that as well.

RE: Uncarp and Boatborn changes- Uproar is an unexpected but thematically appropriate addition :P  I like Bone Club better than Bone Rush for Uncarp. Dragon Dance is a little odd, for all I campaigned for the Dragon type for Uncarp- mostly it's the dancing. Water Sport might be worthwhile, since I imagine there'll be a lot more Fire in this world than in most Pokemon games.

Anywho, to Perlihorn!

I'd actually say most of the power levels there are pretty good- a couple are off, but I found more I'd move down than up. I like the Odor Sleuth addition- it keeps that advantage Boatborn has without making it a curbstomp battle. Fake Tears feels kind of odd to me- rather sneaky and underhanded for a unicorn, especially one designed to fight against a Dark type. I also feel that Absorb is placed highly- most Pokemon that learn it learn it before 10. I'd take out Fake Tears entirely, put Absorb in its place at 6, and at 12 I'd put Double Kick- it's thematically appropriate, and though Perlihorn doesn't get STAB it'll be super-effective against the Uncarp line.

18 is a little high for Horn attack, and I almost suggested you move it and Sweet Kiss down a notch and put Triple Kick here. That said, this is also the tipping point between being an indirect fighter and a direct damage dealer- I suspect it'll take some playtesting to see whether it feels too weak for the level. I don't particularly like Ingrain for a Unicorn- Unicorns, to me, are speed and mobility, not stand your ground never surrender types. I'd replace it with Mega Drain. Alternately, I think this would be a good spot for the line's first powerful move, and put Magical Leaf here instead of at 33. I'd put Agility in at 33 in its place. (Actually, can we sneak Agility in here somewhere either way? It seems appropriate for Unicorns, maybe replace Body Slam...)

For Perlestia, I'm assuming high Special Attack, right? I think I'd replace Leaf Blade (which is physical and a little strange since it's described as a leaf sword thing) with Giga Drain (special-based and fitting an established Absorb/Mega Drain power for the horn.) The downside to that would be it makes Morning Sun fairly redundant, which is a shame because I really liked that Morning Sun/Moonlight dichotomy you had going. If you do decide on Giga Drain, I'd replace Morning Sun with Psychic. I've got no real problems with the rest of that line- Psycho Boost feels a little odd to me since it is Deoxys's signature move, but I don't have a better suggestion. If we get to the point we can add signature moves, that's where I'd add one.

For Lunicron, I'm not entirely satisfied, but I don't have any suggestions to improve. This is mostly because there are meager options in the worlds of Steel and Fighting for a Unicorn based mon. Mega Kick and Megahorn would both make more thematic sense, but Mega Kick is Normal and has crap accuracy and Megahorn is Bug and not-much-better accuracy. Steel Wing is good mechanically where it is- maybe Lunicron's sprite includes wings? I think the one thing I might change is Screech- Lunicron is probably going to have more of an accuracy problem with Steel Wing and Meteor Mash, so I'd substitute in a move that increases accuracy- Hone Claws is Dark and raises accuracy and attack, and Mind Reader is Normal and ensures the next attack hits.

For the high level unevolved Perlihorn, I'd substitute Megakick for Tail Glow, or Horn Drill or some other powerful Normal type move to reward the player for passing up it's evolved form's moves.

As a final general observation, it seems like there isn't much disparity in learn rates for Perlihorn/Unicorn- Unicron gets everything Perlihorn gets a mere level later, plus the fancy stat buffs from evolving. Maybe adjust Perlihorn's moves a level lower- I'm not sure what the baseline is for this, so it's very likely you'll explain your reasoning and I'll go "oh that makes sense."

Finally, RE: Macake art- I agree with GlyphGryph, it could use a bit of action. It looks like it's giving me a cake instead of stealing it. Maybe have it crouched with the cake in one hand? That ninja pose with the off hand on the ground and the cake high in the air would be cool. For having the Ice theme be more prominent, maybe give him Ice-like hair or hat, to match the frosting on the cake?

/wallotext

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2011, 12:17:13 am »

Fake Tears is perfectly appropriate for this particular unicorn pony. ;)

And the sprites for bost Lunicorn and Perlestia include wings, yes. They are technically Alicorns, winged unicorns.

I think Perlestia should be able to learn Giga Drain from TM, but not learn it through leveling.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:21:05 am by GlyphGryph »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2011, 12:33:42 am »

Thanks for the input as always monk! One thing to keep in mind is that in Gen 3 moves are physical/special based on type still, they haven't been given it on an individual basis yet, so things like Leaf Blade are special rather than physical. I don't really have much time to fiddle with things right now, but I CAN tell you the small level differences between perlihorn and unicron learning moves was an accident and an oversight on my part. I think it happened when I added a move in the middle and things got shuffled for one but not the other. I need a better way to organize these than some random notepad file...

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2011, 12:39:18 am »

I'm watching this.
Also asking if you want anyone to design some overworld areas (towns, etc), unless this'll end up being only a repoke hack and nothing else?
I've had some slight experience with advancemap myself.
Also, may I suggest using a patcher instead of uploading the ROM files so that toady doesn't shoot this down? Maybe IPS?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2011, 12:41:02 am »

What is a patcher and how does it work?

And yes, we'd like to redo the fortresses... err, towns, as well.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 166