Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150195 times)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Striking the ROM! (In a productive way)
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2011, 09:51:04 am »

Hey look! A new plump helmet Pokemon! That isn't actually all that bad!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2011, 10:11:13 am »

The Macake line:
Code: [Select]
Macookie (normal) -16-> Macake (Normal/Ice) -36-> Mafrosting (Normal/Ice)
Has low attack (until Mafrosting, then it's decent), good special attack, good speed

Ability: Pickup

Pay Day 1
Thief 6
Mach Punch 10
Stockpile 15
Spit Up 15
Milk Drink 17
Powder Snow 18
Swallow 22 23
Rolling Kick 27 28
Present 31 33
Ice Punch 35 38 40
Snatch 40 43 45
Egg Bomb 44 48 50
Sheer Cold 50 53 56
Some of those moves are powerhouses, but a low attack stat and a lack of same-type bonuses on the fighting moves should tone it down a bit. You'll never be poor if you use this guy, but he takes a little bit to ramp up. Also, why are Thief and Snatch both mostly high-level moves?

Gonna add some attacks to Boatblanked and Uncarp.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:42:51 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2011, 10:29:15 am »

I wonder what the legendaries will be?

If I remember correctly, the legendaries would be creatures that are marked with [FANTASTICAL] in the RAWS, the idea being that the fantastical creatures that only appear in engravings (in DF, at least) actually exist. So they would be a crimera, and... whatever the other ones are.

As for the pseudo-legendaries (ie Dragonaire and its ilk), we have no idea exactly what we're going to add. All that know is that I'm definitively adding Jethro as one of them.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2011, 10:36:35 am »

Also, would the GCS be bug/poison type?

If I remember correctly, the legendaries would be creatures that are marked with [FANTASTICAL] in the RAWS, the idea being that the fantastical creatures that only appear in engravings (in DF, at least) actually exist. So they would be a crimera, and... whatever the other ones are.

As for the pseudo-legendaries (ie Dragonaire and its ilk), we have no idea exactly what we're going to add. All that know is that I'm definitively adding Jethro as one of them.

Bug/Poison seems logical for the GCS line.

Somebody mentioned Scamps as a Legendary Mon, which made me think that Scamps, the Great Toad and the Third Toe might make good legendaries, especially with Pokemon games's penchant for making the legendaries God. But if we go that route we can't (or shouldn't, rather,) make the Tarn Brothers an Elite Four fight. I still like the [FANTASTICAL] Legendaries idea though.

Certainly better than what I can accomplish! Though, isn't the HELMET supposed to be plump? I kinda imagined it as the big helmet with the face, then the thin little stalk body on feet.

With smoke:

I like the idea, and that sprite is certainly awesome whether we use it or not- my only thought would be to make it more vaguely suggestive of an elephant. Actually, if that central flame swirl was upside down, that's precisely the effect you'd get.

On my personal musings, I had a thought for this game's Eevee equivalent- Forgotten Beasts! It starts out as some kind of generic horror, and the different stones give it different evolutions. Poison would make it a moth with deadly dust, Fire would give it fire, Dark deadly blood, so on and so forth. FB's are varied enough to justify a whole bunch of permutations. I might put more thought into this idea at work today, write up some of'm later.

Sidenote- was the plan to make dwarves Trainers, Mons, or both?

And as another mon suggestion, the Cat Tallow Prepared Meal Pokemon! Kitscuits -> Mewstew -> Roarst(?) I'll admit that final form isn't the best name, maybe Meerowst? Oh lord that's worse. I'll work on it...

FAKEEDIT: New reply!

Macake looks good- I'd either make the Ice moves available to Macookie as well, or substitute some other move at that level. Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with Thief/Snatch. If I may make a thematically appropriate suggestion- Milk Drink?

And yeah, it looks like most Pokemon these days get a new move every 3-5 levels or so. Back in MY DAY- oh wait, I should save this rant for the LP :P

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2011, 10:44:16 am »

I like the idea, and that sprite is certainly awesome whether we use it or not- my only thought would be to make it more vaguely suggestive of an elephant. Actually, if that central flame swirl was upside down, that's precisely the effect you'd get.

Imagine its move quickly and the trunk is off to the side and tucked under. That's what I was intending when I drew it though. I'll try turning it and see how it looks. (There's also ears there if you see them :P)

Love the Kitskuit line! It's bloody amazing.

ALSO
Boatmurdered is out because of name length. Replaced with Boatmurdad, which is still a fire ghost elephant, but now he's surrounded by baby Boatborn. ;)

Also the Dwarves are trainers. (Elves, humans, and goblins might also be trainers, who knows)

And I think We should have Tarn and co as the scientists at the starting lab, and he's the one who sends you on this crazy quest. Mind you, that doesn't mean we can't have some sort of giant toad and sloth as Legendaries either ;)

Tosloth (Threetoe Sloth)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:47:23 am by GlyphGryph »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2011, 10:49:04 am »

Though, isn't the HELMET supposed to be plump? I kinda imagined it as the big helmet with the face, then the thin little stalk body on feet.

It could be the plumpspawn part, or whatever the pre-evolution of plumphelmet is called.

Sidenote- was the plan to make dwarves Trainers, Mons, or both?
Also the Dwarves are trainers. (Elves, humans, and goblins might also be trainers, who knows)

I thought that we were going to have a bit of both. Dwarfs would definitively be trainers, and some of them would be mons as well. How else could we have Urist McNoble call the Captain of the Guard?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2011, 10:49:28 am »

Alright, tweaked the Macake line as suggested.
Pay Day 1
Thief 6
Mach Punch 10
Stockpile 15
Spit Up 15
Milk Drink 18
Powder Snow 18
Swallow 22 23
Rolling Kick 27 28
Present 31 33
Ice Punch 35 38 40
Snatch 40 43 45
Egg Bomb 44 48 50
Sheer Cold 50 53 56
(accidentally edited the above post too... crap)

Also added some moves to the Boatblanked line:
Tackle 1
Leer 1
Astonish 6
Ember 8
Curse 12
Uproar 16 16
Fire Spin 20 21
Confuse Ray 24 26
Headbutt 29 31
Scary Face 34 37 40
Destiny Bond 39 43 46
Shadow Punch 44 49 52
Overheat 49 55 58
Doom Desire 55 60 64

and the Uncarp line:
Scratch 1
Harden 1
Beat Up 6
Water Gun 8
Roar 11
Bone Club 14
Bite 17 18
Moonlight 22 23
Pursuit 26 28
Acid Armor 32 33 37
Dive 36 38 41
Dragon Dance 40 43 46
Crunch 44 48 51
Muddy Water 49 53 57
Horn Drill 54 59 63

Also, thinking about Intimidate for Boatblanked's ability and Rough Skin or Battle Armor for Uncarp.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:01:35 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2011, 10:53:12 am »

Decided on names for the final unicorns:

Perlestia
Lunicron

(References ho! As if this whole line wasn't already!)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2011, 11:02:28 am »

Imagine its move quickly and the trunk is off to the side and tucked under. That's what I was intending when I drew it though. I'll try turning it and see how it looks. (There's also ears there if you see them :P)

Oh, I see it now, it's kinda facing the fourth wall, right? I was expecting it to be facing more to the left.

And I'm gonna throw this one out there- !!SCIENTISTS!! should specialize in fire, not electricity.

Offhand Trainer Class ideas:

!!SCIENTIST!!- Fire-user
Various Dwarf Professions- I figure they'd use elements based on their profession color, exception being Mechanics/Engineers who tend to Electricity
Rockets are Goblins, favor Dark types
Elven Adventurers use Grass and Flying
Human Adventurers use Water and Fighting
Dwarven Adventurers use Ground and Rock
Priests use Ghost

That's what I came up with in the ten minutes before work, anywho. Hopefully some of those are not terrible.

It occurs to me that a lot of the DF specific ideas aren't going to mesh well with Electric- we could fill out that side the element table with broader Bay12 memes?

FAKEEDIT: NEW REPLIES!

Well, I don't have the time to comment on them now, so I'll just say I like the names for the final Unicron forms. I'll look closer when I'm done with work.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2011, 11:07:25 am »

Out of curiosity, how large are overland map trainer sprites? I just got the most terrific idea. And, are we doing this on the FR/LG-framework?
Not to mention, all attacks that the evolutions don't learn in this chart can't be relearned by the move trainer, so we either set them to Level 1 or give them appropiate leveling times as well. Don't forget that an evolved Pokemon can have "hidden" attacks by learning certain moves at Level 1, so that you can only access them by move trainers. That's a pretty nifty trick.

Now to the movesets:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(accidentally edited the above post too... crap)

I think it could use some Faint Attack at some point, just because Macaques are little ****es. On contrast, Milk Drink is completely nonsensical on the character and completely obsoletes Swallow/Stockpile/Spit Up. Not that these moves would be good in any given circumstance, but they thematically fit, so it's okay.
I'm also not a fan of Normal/Ice typing but it could probably work out.
Sheer Cold is a little drastic. Perhaps replace it with Blizzard.

Also added some moves to the Boatblanked line:

Looks pretty okay overall. Perhaps Shadow Punch comes in a little late. Could swap it with Destiny Bond.

and the Uncarp line:

Wow that's a random moveset in my opinion. Moonlight? Bone Rush? (Is it just supposed to disintegrate itself?) Harden/Acid Armor? I think you should incorporate Mean Look, though, and Body Slam could be useful as well. Horn Drill... yeah what?
Although, come to think of it, this pokemon needs Splash.

New element tables is a good idea. Touhoumon did it, we can too!
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 03, 2011, 11:13:41 am »

Monk, like a fourth of the ideas we've had so far in chat today have been electric (giving us like three electric pokemon).

I don't think it will be an issue. :P

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 03, 2011, 11:23:26 am »

Out of curiosity, how large are overland map trainer sprites? I just got the most terrific idea. And, are we doing this on the FR/LG-framework?

From what I can tell, the overland map trainer sprites are 16x16. And yes, we're hacking FireRed, though eventually it'll be so heavily modified that you couldn't tell which game we'd hacked it from.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:25:35 am by USEC_OFFICER »

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 03, 2011, 11:31:28 am »

I think that maybe having the mushroom cover more of the head would be the way to go. About down to the eyes would do it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 03, 2011, 11:45:06 am »

Alternately, Make it a bit further away to give it a more obvious stem and flare it a bit. Also, heavier shading on the cap. :P

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2011, 11:46:28 am »

I think that maybe having the mushroom cover more of the head would be the way to go. About down to the eyes would do it.

Also, the background needs to be a different colour. Unless you want its eyes to be see-through, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 166