Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: More Ghost Science!  (Read 31867 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
More Ghost Science!
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:47:06 pm »

Ghosts are sort of like oil fires, they're impossible to control, really dangerous, and pretty awesome. It occurred to me that while Chirpacted was a fun foray into the macabre a lack of rigor prevented alot of valuable data acquisition. Since finals are coming up I have tons of studying to not do I figure now is as good a time as any to see if I can actually learn something.

Current plan is
1. Establish big boring fort
2. Kill dwarves in different ways and observe how manner of death, mood at death, and various states of insanity play into what type of ghost they become.
3. Keep detailed accounts of when they interact with dwarves or objects and how often.
4. Attempt to quarantine ghosts.
5. Replicate the Mad Clothier in a controlled setting, study who how and why ghosts attack.

Anybody interested in watching me do awful things in the name of science or am I going to have to fulfill my social obligations and prepare for finals like a normal human being?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:19:06 pm by Broseph Stalin »

mendota

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Ghost Science?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:08:46 pm »

Sure, we can always use more science around here.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:29:05 pm »

You can't really quarantine ghosts; they walk through walls and depending on their archetype will chase your dwarfs down and do stuff to them or just sit forlornly where they died.

Still; posting to watch!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:32:56 pm »

Post to watch
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:40:58 pm »

Gomez A. Expedition leader and his haunted fort.

Will keep an eye on this.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:39:08 pm »

It's all coming together, the fortress is fledgling but I've got the plans all worked out. For the actual containment and dispatch I've devised simple 5x5 rooms with 3x3 burrows in their hearts and 3x3 constructed floors above them. The floors will be suspended by a single pillar which will be hooked up to a lever outside of the room allowing the subject to be crushed with the pull of a lever. They'll be accessible via a downward staircase that will be floored over after the subjects are assigned to the room  this will prevent the accidental deaths and trapped masons that happened with the original Chirpacted.

Top Layer Top View

=====
=###=
=###=
=###=
=====
    V

= Empty Space
# Constructed floor
V Downward Stair

Top View Bottom Layer

#####
#####
##0##
#####
#####
    ^
# Floor
0 Pillar
^  up staircase

Girlgenius's method of driving dwarves insane was like all things she says and does horrible and very efficient so I'll be sticking with that. Wardogs are to be bred in large numbers so that they can be assigned to subjects and slaughtered. As for controlling mood at death the rooms will follow the above format but vary wildly. If an experiment calls for a dwarf to die happy that dwarf will be assigned a room fully furnished and engraved and fed fine food and drink, if it requires a dwarf to die miserable that dwarf will be given barely enough food to survive and a bare stone floor to sleep on.

I'm sure someone in this den of psychopaths and kitten eaters has some more ideas so pitch them to me and let's expand the knowledge base of dwarf kind.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 05:06:16 pm »

Supposedly, you could bait dwarf ghosts and keep them there by using ghost magnet - dwarves. Try having one dwarf who is friends with everyone. And no one else has any contact. That one dwarf will become your Dwarf Whisperer.

[Also, become insane. LwobObwobOWboLWboLWBOWbowb]

Flattermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 05:46:54 pm »

Supposedly, you could bait dwarf ghosts and keep them there by using ghost magnet - dwarves. Try having one dwarf who is friends with everyone. And no one else has any contact. That one dwarf will become your Dwarf Whisperer.

nice but he needs a lot of war dog pets so ghosts on a frenzy will rather kill the dogs then him ;)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 05:56:01 pm »

nice but he needs a lot of war dog pets so ghosts on a frenzy will rather kill the dogs then him ;)

Ghosts don't actually attack, Violent ghosts inflict damage on or remove a bodypart and Murderous Ghosts just scare people to death. They can't be distracted by animals or barriers, they choose a target move to it and do the deed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 06:08:52 pm »

But this way we'll be able to test the theory that ghosts haunt those that they knew in life.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Ghost Science!
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 07:27:43 pm »

So begins Chirpacted II: the Reghostening

5 Malachite 6 Chipracted II

The rooms have been completed and the field test with Subject 1.

Subject 1, Rigothrobek, Normal

Subject was in an average mood and had no ties to the community, no friends, no wife, no pets. The mechanism functioned perfectly and instantly did the deed. His behavior in death will provide contrast for further test subjects. The room is being reset and his articles are being collected.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 07:53:49 pm »

I am on the edge of my seat.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 08:32:33 pm »

Girlgenius's method of driving dwarves insane was like all things she says and does horrible and very efficient so I'll be sticking with that.

Got a link handy? As long as we're being macabre I feel like I should know the methodology.

And a clinical approach is always appreciated :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 08:39:00 pm »

Got a link handy?

Second that. Also I feel a war dog would be appropriately named Scooby Doo
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 08:47:25 pm »

Problem: The mood value of masterpiece loss depends on number of masterpieces.  A dwarf with 100 masterpieces who has one defaced will suffer 1/100th the mood loss.

Solution: Breed war dogs, assign the dog to the dwarf, and butcher it, causing a "lost a pet" event instead.

I explained it in the next sentence but the quote doubles as a link to the original Chirpacted
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9