Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we use generic currency, or unique currencies?

I think we should use generic currency.
- 0 (0%)
I think we should use original currencies the way Araph listed them.
- 4 (80%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a conversion rate of 100:10:1
- 1 (20%)
I think we should use original currencies, but with a simpler conversion rate (post your ideas if you chose this).
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Super Happy Tabletop RPG: The Trials of Testing (Warning: Misleading Name)  (Read 17771 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: New Tabletop RPG, Taking It For a Test Run
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 08:22:25 pm »

I'd prefer an urban city setting with some political intrigue, but I'm fine with anything.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 08:28:43 pm »

I'll be the mage who studies medicine and demonology. I'll need someone to watch my back, because I don't want to wrestle. From the sounds of it there may be a shortage of skill points, and I won't have the strength to grapple against a warrior anyways.

City hopping would be a nice change from the usual wilderness dungeon hopping.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 08:30:14 pm »

Well if you want to be the thief John, then I'm definitely calling the Large Warrior (tentatively thinking of Wrestling, Archery, Hand to Hand, Two-Handed Axe, and Dodging as class skills). :P But yeah, BD's setting suggestion is fine to me.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 08:39:26 pm »

I don't think anything should be too modern. Lets keep the Tech Level medieval or something around that period, if possible.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 08:51:21 pm »

I'd prefer an urban city setting with some political intrigue, but I'm fine with anything.
Perfect; that's what I actually want the game to be a little more oriented towards.
I don't think anything should be too modern. Lets keep the Tech Level medieval or something around that period, if possible.
I'd prefer medieval. Having half the physical skills involve medieval weaponry doesn't exactly lend itself to modern settings.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 09:09:16 pm »

Is there a racial limitation to this? If so, what can we choose from?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 09:38:22 pm »

I hadn't considered new races a top priority, so I had put it off. Fortunately, it isn't to hard to throw together fluff like that, so it'll take hardly any time at all. Do you want generic fantasy races? Or would you all like to make up new ones?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 09:39:15 pm »

Lets just do the generic fantasy races, this is a test run after all. We can throw in a few twists to the generic races if people want too.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 09:44:28 pm »

Will it be fluff or change attributes? Either way I'm fine, I'm just not sure what I want to be yet. ^^^;
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 09:48:18 pm »

I'd say attribute changes would be a min/max haven. Since you can only have +4 in any one attribute at first even another +1 might unbalance it. It's either the attributes need to be bigger, or races will just affect other things.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 09:50:23 pm »

As an abusive min-maxer I can't argue with that logic. Fluff would probably be better, unless you want me to try and break the system for testing purposes. ^^^

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 09:51:14 pm »

It'll change attributes and skills (think Elder Scrolls races), but it isn't too hard to put that together. After that, there's the fluff part.

As for unbalancing things... You have a point. Not quite sure how to get around that, aside from doubling the attributes and having the modifier be half of the actual attribute or something.

It'd be great if you could push the system a bit. Of course, the whole 'experience for roleplaying' thing is intended to limit munchkinning by having penalties for acting out of character or on metagaming logic. If you do stuff like that too overtly, your character will fall behind the group fairly fast.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:53:29 pm by Araph »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 09:56:54 pm »

You could do what D&D does with attributes. In D&D when you have 18 (or 19) strength you have +4 to attack and damage rolls. You can do something similar if you want to keep your system as is. So +8 to +9 strength is the equivalent of +4 strength right now.

EDIT: So does this mean I can be a Tiefling doctor?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:58:38 pm by The Fool »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 09:59:00 pm »

It'd be great if you could push the system a bit. Of course, the whole 'experience for roleplaying' thing is intended to limit munchkinning by having penalties for acting out of character or on metagaming logic. If you do stuff like that too overtly, your character will fall behind the group fairly fast.

That's fair enough, no argument here.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 10:03:48 pm »

You could do what D&D does with attributes. In D&D when you have 18 (or 19) strength you have +4 to attack and damage rolls. You can do something similar if you want to keep your system as is. So +8 to +9 strength is the equivalent of +4 strength right now.

EDIT: So does this mean I can be a Tiefling doctor?
That'd work perfectly! And yes. Yes you can.

Except I don't think the word 'Tiefling' has been used anywhere except DnD. I'd prefer to have differences between the DnD version and this version, because I'm trying to not copy them quite so blatantly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16