Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188775 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Reclaiming Swordthunders, the Fortress that defeated the HFS
« Reply #915 on: February 13, 2012, 02:48:39 am »

You should demand an update at least every other day. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 13, 2012, 03:25:40 am »

Pff, I updated every day.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 13, 2012, 03:51:10 am »

Man, I guess I gotta get an account on an image hosting site now that I think of it.

And i really hope my writing ability can come up to snuff when my turn (eventually) rolls around.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 13, 2012, 04:36:17 am »

Yeah, If Squirrel hasn't made a post by tomorrow (he did say something about the weekend), I'm gonna call it and pass the turn on

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 13, 2012, 09:25:11 am »

And so I have arrived at this last bastion of dwarfkind.  All 26 of us.  The place is a disaster... and haunted of course.  Twists of architecture baffling in their probably brilliance.

I ask for a summary of our stocks, to which my subjects just shrug and go back to carting various oddments around.  ... This is not promising.

So there I am, trying to make sense of the last inventory done of the place, when a ghost pops through the wall and gives me a fright.  That's it, first things first, we're memorializing all our dead. 

And I totally lose track of what I was doing, so its back to the record book.

Let me describe this record book:
-It is a weighty tome, massing more than a dwarf, and large enough that not even one of our rock tables will support it.  Instead it must be read on the floor (and doesn't appear to have been moved since before Swordthunders fell!).  Over 3/4 of its remaining pages are full of tiny scrawled text that I strain to read in the torchlight.
-The cover seems to be made out of some kind of leather, although I can't seem to discern the species.  It is a strange pale fleshy tone...
-It seems to have suffered significant damage of all sorts.  I can see definite evidence of fire, torn pages, and is that acid damage?  I shudder to imagine what this book has been through.  Whole years of inventory are missing, and many more pages are only half there leading to enigmatic statements like locations without items or items without locations.  I can't help but notice that some of these 'misplaced' items are artifacts of our finest craftsmen.
-Some pages appear to have been redacted with heavy charcoal covering up particular lines and phrases.  I... ok, I confess, I can't even guess what would have prompted such an action.
-Where both item and location are present, frequently the item is in some bizarre and opaque shorthand, or worse, the referenced location has no discernable place in the geometry of the fortress itself.

In frustration I kick the damned thing, leading to my first injury in Swordthunders: a dislocated toe.  Yelling in pain, my cries allow some of my eager subjects to locate me.  They have news.  The start of spring has been commemorated by the creation of an artifact:

I try to look suitably impressed, but my toe is hurting, and what I really want is a moment to pop my toe back into place, preferably out of earshot so I don't need to do any more screaming in pain while they can hear me.

As long as I have them all there, and one of the masons is done screwing around, I inform them of my decision to memorialize the ghosts.  They give me some strange looks like I'm crazy.

Having given up on the book, I ask if we have any magma safe materials for pipes and corkscrews.  They gleefully lead me to a stack of screwpumps which are all warm to the touch.  Check, no using those safely.

So I ask if we have a forge anywhere.  The laughing which follows convinces me that we do not, or at least not so that anyone can find them.  Ok, order number 2: build some forges and smelters... At which point I'm informed that we do have abundant access to magma.  I point at the warm screwpumps.  Yes, I'm aware of that, make it happen.  Go.

Ok, now, where to build my throne room.  And tomb - in this place i'll probably need the second before i need the first...

(Catching up to my screenshots at the moment, narration takes time.  Should get pushed out slowly over the course of the day as i find time).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #920 on: February 13, 2012, 10:17:42 am »

Ezum looks piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 13, 2012, 11:32:43 am »

On the 10th day of spring the first ghost is put to rest under my rule.  Hopefully it shall be a haunt-free rule after the current crop are put down.  I've been doing a bit of surveying (while doing surveying for other personal projects), and there seems to be 24 other spooks, spectres, spirits, and poltergeists floating around.  I made a list for my engravers, hopefully they can spell.

I also noticed that we had no metalsmiths of any sort.  Well, that just wasn't acceptable.  I've designated Zaneg erithothil, formerly a trapper, as the official forgemaster of my kingdom.  Now maybe someone will actually build that forge I asked for...

Which reminds me of another excellent project I'm working on.  We absolutely need power for any dwarven feats of engineering, and there's this lovely waterwheel contraption all set up already.  Now sure,the wood is half rotten, but i bet it would work if we just got it moving again...

Granite 21st brings us some migrants.  My subjects assure me that my fame is growing, and soon Swordthunders will be a teeming metropolis of dwarves again.  I am... less convinced.  These vagabonds look like they got lost and stumbled across us by chance.  But they are migrants, it is something.

My new subjects include:
Nil Gidthuretur, a glazer
Aban Odomdoren, a butcher and waxworker
Rakust Ashmonlogem, a turkey
a reindeer calf

(note: there was a third new dwarf, Kib Fikodathel, and is the one I dorfed to be me and king, because he's totally useless.  That's right, 3 whole dwarves...)

At about the time the migrants get there I notice the durn fool masons are making slabs out of lignite.  Oh for the love of... who in the world permitted that!

Our royal forger is apparently tormented by ghosts, who have prevented him from building a forge thus far.  Hopefully those problems will go away soon.  ... Then i realize I've ordered my forges built in a place with insufficient magma (and poor long term prospects for magma).  Looking around, i realize I'll need to do some creative digging to clear a space for some magma forges.

A demon of amber arrives and is positioning himself in a potentially threatening location, although still far from our workings.  We shall see what will happen.

I think i've discovered the perfect location to drop power down to the magma layer for pumping it out, soon all that power shall be put to use!  Speaking of power: it works!

On the 16th of Felsite a caravan from the elves arrives.  A farmer throws a party at the same time.  I was really tempted to point out we didn't have any magma in a state which could actually be used at the moment, so the elves were going to live... oh well. 

I take the opportunity to order mechanisms to the depot to 'trade', by which i mean store in the depot.

And thus ended Spring.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 13, 2012, 12:07:29 pm »

Noooooo! I wanted to combo-break :(

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 13, 2012, 12:22:20 pm »

Man. I can onlt imagine how bad this mess looks. Or did you guys manage to clean up all the junk?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 13, 2012, 12:46:09 pm »

Man. I can onlt imagine how bad this mess looks. Or did you guys manage to clean up all the junk?

Haha ha ahahahahaha

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 13, 2012, 03:56:05 pm »

Wait, how did a demon get in? Hell's sealed off.

Oh, and I used lignite because there was a metric shit-ton of it just lying around. Saved time building walls. We also have forges, just look around. Either that or use the manager screen to create orders for things and the dwarfs will find it themselves.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 13, 2012, 05:11:52 pm »

what hosting site do most of you use? I want to be sure I'll have one the runs properly.

edit: Sorry to tell you this mapleguy, but due to a minotaur inflicted spinal injury, you were my random genisis fort's first battle death.
And the rough equivalent to s pecial needs person killed said mnotaur. blades wont strike true my ass...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 13, 2012, 07:33:08 pm »

I'm guessing he means magma forges, Mitch. 

Congrats on restarting the Aquaworks, by the way Squirrelloid.  Still getting 6000uW out of it?

The axle connecting it all, and looping down to head down to hell, is on the level above it.

Haha ha ahahahahaha

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.  I've seen the quarry level as it is now.  I know how it was in the original fort.  It'll take DECADES of several hundred dedicated dwarves working constantly to haul that stuff away.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 13, 2012, 07:40:45 pm »

Whoooo I made an artifact.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 13, 2012, 09:49:12 pm »

I'm guessing he means magma forges, Mitch. 

Congrats on restarting the Aquaworks, by the way Squirrelloid.  Still getting 6000uW out of it?

The axle connecting it all, and looping down to head down to hell, is on the level above it.

Haha ha ahahahahaha

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.  I've seen the quarry level as it is now.  I know how it was in the original fort.  It'll take DECADES of several hundred dedicated dwarves working constantly to haul that stuff away.

Just pray it doesn't get tossed around again :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 167