Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188692 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Oh well.  Good luck trying to get the magma out of Hell by the way.

It'd be easy; shut off the breach and just let it flow out of the map.

And how exactly will it flow out when I sealed the map perimeter with Gabbro walls and floored over the Glowing Pits?  There is no active magma breach - I filled Hell using the screw pumps you saw on the quarry level.

edit:

- Migrants! 3 of them.

Congratulations, we can now semi-confirm that the civ is indeed alive and sending slaves fresh disposable labourers enterprising craftsmen to Swordthunders beyond the game-fixed initial waves
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:56:47 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile

May I have a turn? Seems like it might be a while, but this looks like something I wouldn't want to miss a bloody chunk of.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

May I have a turn? Seems like it might be a while, but this looks like something I wouldn't want to miss a bloody chunk of.

Of course you can, and you have now been added to the list.  If you've read the original thread, feel free to join me in waiting to see Mitchewawa's reaction to the true nature of the issue of magma in Hell.  If not, have a glance at this and look through around page 60-ish for the next bit about me flooring over the Glowing Pits

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

And how exactly will it flow out when I sealed the map perimeter with Gabbro walls and floored over the Glowing Pits?  There is no active magma breach - I filled Hell using the screw pumps you saw on the quarry level.

Oh. Uhh... Hm... scuba dwarfs to poke a hole into a floor?

I suppose I could make a magma stack all the way from hell to the lowest cavern layer and drain it off there, but that would take time, dwarfs and resources I don't have. I suppose I could set up the area and water-pump infinite generator, but someone else would have to make the actual pumps and waterwheels.

I'll set about clearing the pumping area of old pumps and begin digging shortly.

E: Oh, my reaction...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:21:36 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh. Uhh... Hm... scuba dwarfs to poke a hole into a floor?

I suppose I could make a magma stack all the way from hell to the lowest cavern layer and drain it off there, but that would take time, dwarfs and resources I don't have. I suppose I could set up the area and water-pump infinite generator, but someone else would have to make the actual pumps and waterwheels.

I'll set about clearing the pumping area of old pumps and begin digging shortly.

Swordthunders has such a generator, and the means to power Quarry-level equipment.  Look at the location of the old hospital (bottom level of the fortress with the minor graveyard) then go a level up and head north-east.  You should find it, but there might be trees in the way.  If you look at the hatch-covered staircase on the hospital level, you might notice one of the wall sections near it is constructed. Take a look behind it...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:24:42 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, already knew where those were. Under F4 'AquaWorks' in the hotkeys.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, already knew where those were. Under F4 'AquaWorks' in the hotkeys.

If they're intact, most of the vertical axle should be too.  Starts on the level above the Aquaworks and loops around the west before going straight down beside the stairs.  That'll give you all the power you need.  Should be easy to spot where the vertical shaft is on each level as I don't remember smoothing the walls at all, so the constructed wall hiding it should stand out easily.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can see all the axles, I'm just wondering where to pump from. Oh well, I'm having a look now.

While I dismantle (E: and remantle all the destroyed axles) all the unneeded pumps, how do I start the water-thingo?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:00:06 am by Mitchewawa »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There should be two levers near the waterwheels.  pretty sure I rendered the lower one redundant, so just pull the one to the west of the wheel room.

edit:  Out of curiosity, which sections of the axle were actually destroyed?  Been wondering that since the "x destroyed" messages early on in the reclaim
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:03:46 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Both levers seem to not do anything. I'll do this with a clean slate; just make my own stuff. Water-generators aren't entirely difficult to make, all I really need is to find an appropriate area to create a pumpstack from.

E: Found one; the spot where y'all took from the magma sea and into hell. Wait, why are we re-taking hell anyway?

EE: I'd dismantle the checkerboard pumps for parts but I'm not going to out of an urge to screw over the next players respect.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:13:45 am by Mitchewawa »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Both levers seem to not do anything. I'll do this with a clean slate; just make my own stuff. Water-generators aren't entirely difficult to make, all I really need is to find an appropriate area to create a pumpstack from.

That's... weird.  Are they at least synched and producing 6000uW?  The lever controls the gearbox on the top row, I think, so when shut down they would be producing 1500uW and 4500uW.  If it's all fubar, just rebuild the gearboxes and axle on the level above the waterwheels. That'll get it all working.

E: Found one; the spot where y'all took from the magma sea and into hell. Wait, why are we re-taking hell anyway?

Because I built a pleasant seaside town in there with a lake, cozy villas, clifftop picnicking area and a beach
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:13:10 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After some searching I have found that there is no room for a 4x1 area for a traditional pump stack at any point in any of the spires, because of the magma sea. That said, I could through a series of controlled cave-ins create enough area in which to create the pump stacks. I only have half a year left, however, and most of that will be spent hauling bodies. I'll leave it to the next person to do all that crap.

At least I'm the first person to last an entire year (and a half) after reclaiming Swordthunders!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And you've done an amazing job of reclaiming the place too, I must say.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mitch; Overseer of the Remaining

Chapter Nine: Impertinent Vegetation

CURSE YOU, YOU IMPERTINENT VEGETATION!

3rd Galena:

Oli is possessed; that's better than what happened to Mego at least.

Oh god I can't believe I locked him outside the fortress for 2 months! I didn't think anyone was outside when I locked the doors.

13th Galena:

Oliolli has began a mysterious construction, with a piece of raw adamantine he picked up outside.

15th Galena:

Oliolli has created a toy axe. I wish he created a real axe, but at least he has something to gloat over me about (he's a mere adept stone crafter, I am legendary).

Humans have arrived. I didn't trade with the elves, and I have no reason to do so with hummies.

OOC: I'd go on but I nearly fell asleep at the keyboard.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mitch; Overseer of the Remaining

Chapter Ten: Eat its own spectral shit

There's a ghost by the name of Sarvesh Logremar is knocking down coffins, spawning more ghosts.

24th Galena:

Hauling continues as usual; had to look through the building ledger for about 10 minutes looking for the garbage dump that was wasting everyone's time.

I've de-constructed and re-constructed the depot from outside the base to inside. I get itchy at any dwarf who stands outside for a period of time.

One of the recent migrants was a proficient marksdwarf. He shall begin training immediately.

9th Limestone:

I have, officially, run this place for one year since I took over from Maple.

I have much time to ponder as I watch my comrades haul stuff for a year. One such thought goes as such:

We're just minding our business, then suddenly the two Forgotten Beasts burst out of their trap. They'd kill everyone. 'How did this happen!?' A dwarf would cry. And in the aftermath of the downfall of the last bastion of  the last dwarven home, a ghost will be laughing and eating its own spectral shit, pulling the lever on and off. The lever that holds the FBs in their tomb.

Good thing I walled them in, in case of way-ward ghostly lever pulling. I will postpone their cave-in related death because of this, though I do believe someone will want to make use of these two monsters in some sort of defence or retarded project.

19th Limestone:

Holy shit, that name is fitting for an archer. Anyway, I've given him my own special uniform arrangement; an archery set made of metal. To be exact, 1 breatplate, 3 mail shirts, 6 cloaks, 1 helmet, 3 metal caps, 6 hoods, 1 set of greaves, 2 trousers, 1 set of gauntlets, 1 set of mittens, 1 set of high boots, 1 set of socks and a crossbow. That should be plenty enough to protect our only military dwarf.

9th Sandstone:

3 migrants. One of which is quite good at doctoring (bone setting and dressing wounds). Mego will be glad to have him.

3rd Timber:

Arrowriddled is still off picking up equipment.

OOC: Uneventful. Though I gotta love random name gen.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 167