Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188446 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

For what I have planned, all my dwarfs need is their vital organs, one hand, and their sex organs.

Hands up everyone who had a specific mental image of all the dwarves from this description....

No mentions or descriptions, let's keep the place clean, just raise a hand if you did.

Any hints as to your genius plan, Mitchewawa?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:40:15 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Oh, I don't have a plan. Well, in the long run I hope another overseer will lock pairs of dwarfs in rooms with food and booze and force them to mate. But for now I'm just hauling stuff until I can think of how to get in the quarry AND lock those two FBs in the original tunnel.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Anyone know if there are any checks to revive a dwarf civ if it's technically extinct between forts?

Actually, it might be possible to start recieving migrants if at least one of your forts is abandoned using Rumrusher's method for "retiring" forts:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81738.0

Use the second set of instructions, which is only 3-long and fairly easy.
If swordthunders perishes again, we can throw down a quickie fort and abandon it this way. See if more migrants will come.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd say I have a 50/50 chance of making it to the end of next year. It's a shame that Mapleguy quit halfway through his year because if he'd done what I did and make it through the first year, he would have been the first person to triumph Swordthunders.

Oh, and I have a plan for cutting off that tunnel from the quarry. I'll update tomorrow.

E:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:24:02 am by Mitchewawa »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh... you might have a problem with that plan.  Odds are high they'll destroy the first set of hatches as they pass through them.  Give it a go anyway though.  You might get lucky.  If it doesn't work, I suggest dropping a wide slab of rock onto the pair of them if you can rig up a pressure plate and a large-enough block of stone to hit the pair of them with.  Even if you only kill one, you can always reset the trap with constructed walls and try again.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll just replace the first set with a bridge connected to a lever. Problem solved.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll just replace the first set with a bridge connected to a lever. Problem solved.

That trap should work perfectly then.  So how much of the fort is currently safe(ish)?

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I've blocked off the outside because I'm scared of getting shanked by a thief. The FBs are stuck under the hatches located on zlevel -68. However, nothing is safe from the ghosts, the violent ones of which I am frantically trying to identify before they murder especially.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could use that strat that the guy who reclaimed Battlefailed use. Create a series of floor grates, get some archers, put them on the opposite side of the FBs, and let the FBs come and break the grates, letting the archers pick them off.

Like a boss.

Unless you've got flying FBs.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

The FBs are stuck under the hatches located on zlevel -68.

So would it be possible to rig a cave-in above the floor hatch from inside the fort? Sure, some hallways may be ruined, but collateral damage is to be expected with something like this.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The FBs are stuck under the hatches located on zlevel -68.

So would it be possible to rig a cave-in above the floor hatch from inside the fort? Sure, some hallways may be ruined, but collateral damage is to be expected with something like this.

I already suggested this and it would be largely unnecessary if a simple containment plan like Mitchewawa's will work.  Wall them in afterwards and just forget they're there.  All they can do is poison and bleed on is eachother then.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:04:28 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile

But trapping needs to be repeated after reclaim.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But trapping needs to be repeated after reclaim.

Then we hook up one of the hatches to a lever, add magma to that corridor, and then pull the lever, killing them.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't want to do a cave-in, mostly because there are probably corpses I will crush and would have to preform the long, arduous task of slabbing them. Seriously, there's like 500 corpses to scroll through, not counting goblins. And all their names look the damn same to me.

After we trap them we could smooth and fortification one side of the walls and have dwarfs use wooden bolts as target practice. If we don't have the manpower for that, I could just wall off both sides of the trap so they can't get out after reclaim.

Or do they teleport?

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mitch; Overseer of the Remaining

Chapter Seven: Penetrate Part 2

Operation Fuckgotten Beasts is being set up. We've already hit a bump in the road however; one of them seems to have disappeared into the shadows. I have no idea where he could be, I suppose I will have to make do with only one beast caught at a time. I will dispose of each individual beast via marksdwarf firing range. I suppose when your race is hanging on by a thread, you want your soldiers to be masters of not even getting hit.

15th Granite:

I've removed half of the hauling labour in favour of masons, architects, mechanics and mining.

He is the night.

19th Granite:

I will need to keep a very close eye on this area; the last thing we want is a Giant Cave Surprise. We a lovely silk farm, however. Perhaps we could make a tapestry, a legendary monument made of the finest silk, telling the history of our success here for future explorers hundreds of years down the line. Then we sic the GCS on them.

The residents are playing a little game. It's called 'Piss me off'. I joined in.

8th Slate:

Both FBs are missing. This is good news; that means there is a chance that they're together right now and therefore can be caught together.

I see a lot of levers, all of which I do not know the function of. I am contemplating just removing these levers, though I suspect some are of importance.

19th Slate:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's great to see I'm not the only one to have faced adversity. I just wish the others had spent more time burying our fallen brothers and not just engraving about them rising from the dead.

And as if the gods are smiling on us, our hopes came true. We are not alone. We are joined by an expert carpenter, and two haulers. Together we shall be the mechanics of Swordthunders, for it is not beyond repair.

...speaking of which, there is a hole in Migrantopia. Armok's middle finger to however designed this hole.

8th Felsite:

This place is very inefficient, if it has taken this long to make a fucking tunnel. Oh well, it is time. A hole has been dug in the raisebridge.

One beast is in.

Moses shall lead the pulling of the lever out of the off position.

Only one beast is in, and he has reached the top. I lock the hatch before the beast breaks through. Mosus is nowhere near the lever!
The beast turns around, and Mosus is so close now!
The beast nearly makes it out of the trap, but I have a plan...
I open the hatch, the beast turns back, makes it to the top. I lock it. Mosus pulls the lever!

And both beasts are caught! This is fantastic!

The trap is to be shut down tight until I can muster a firing squad.

The path is open to the quarry. All stockpiles are temporarily turned off; all hauling is now directed to the bodies down below. A wall is to be constructed over the passage to hell; we will not be ready for that in a long time.

OOC: That was ball-blisteringly close. Twice I nearly failed to close the hatch in time. And the fact that I caught both of them; totally a fluke. We just managed to let him in as we closed the gate; he was at the stairs when it shut.

I think I need to play a less scary game, like Russian Roulette.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 167