Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188698 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

You should have seen the resident badass of Swordthunders - Doren Domainhall, the Amazing Mountain of Roughness. 

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh well.  Good luck trying to get the magma out of Hell by the way.

It'd be easy; shut off the breach and just let it flow out of the map.

And how exactly will it flow out when I sealed the map perimeter with Gabbro walls and floored over the Glowing Pits?  There is no active magma breach - I filled Hell using the screw pumps you saw on the quarry level.

Drop a chunk of rock through the floor over the glowing pits?  Since Magma doesn't seek it's own level, it might even be doable without losing a dwarf?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

I had a similar idea, but the roof of hell is semi-molten rock, so I can't cave that in. And I think if I constructed a wall for cave-in, that de-constructs when I try. I'm not 100% on if it breaks the floors underneath it before this happens, however.

E: Going to test that.

EE: This works; there is an open space above the glowing pit. I now have sight of the glowing pit (it was previously hidden by the floor). I'm not sure if the magma is actually draining, but it should. Nice work Farmerbob, I'm getting started on a way to mass-deconstruct the floors above the glowing pits.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:40:32 pm by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could try casting obsidian, and then caving in that...

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's no room to draw water or magma; I only have 1z of room in hell. That was my 'similar' idea mentioned earlier, but I looked around and it was just not possible for large scale destruction.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is pretty much what I was going to suggest if you had trouble.  Which one did you use?  The northern-most adamantine spire?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

I could have some fun with this, so sign me up.  How long can I expect to wait to have a turn at this?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Mitch is sixth. You'd be the 18th.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I checked; for some reason the magma does not seep into the glowing pits. I made a bigger hole, still nothing. A new theory is in order.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Try another pit.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why try another pit? It tells me there's an 'open space', and I now have vision into the pit. Hell, one of the dwarfs fell in during the test.

Magma does not flow into the pits, regardless of what pit, for some reason.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why try another pit? It tells me there's an 'open space', and I now have vision into the pit. Hell, one of the dwarfs fell in during the test.

Magma does not flow into the pits, regardless of what pit, for some reason.

That's... odd.  I assume you got the message "Urist McUnlucky fell into a deep chasm"?  I don't think there are any other spires over Glowing Pits though.  Maybe slowly pump it out with a lot of gears and screwpumps in however possible you can arrange them in the spire?

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not enough time, I'll let someone else do that.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha, I know how to drain the magma out, and I'm slapping myself for not thinking of this sooner. There's one z level of hell not buried under lava. I'll just destroy some wall on that level and pump it out of the map like that.

DUH. All I need is to bridge my way there, create the pumps and gradually pump the entire level of magma out of the map, move the pumps down a level, and repeat. Testing this now.

E: Edit before I start placing pumps; I'm going to replace the walls I destroy with fortifications to drain off the magma. I don't want demons to spawn.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:54:43 am by Mitchewawa »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whaddya know, you will drain the magma off the edge of the map after all.  Just remember to keep a militia squad near the breach until the fortification's in place.  Otherwise it could potentially end badly hilariously
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 167