Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Battlefield 3: My Greatest Gaming Disappointment  (Read 3134 times)

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Battlefield 3: My Greatest Gaming Disappointment
« on: November 25, 2011, 06:37:21 am »

Apols if there's already a thread for this, but couldn't find one in the first 10 pages of the forum.

Anyone else thing that EA totally blew it with BF3? They basically chucked away everything that was interesting and original about BF2 (intuitive squad system, commanders and detailed squad ordering system, artillery, UAV etc.) in favour of a relatively small scale, fast twitch, frenzied CoD style game which we've all seen a dozen times before. Frankly I felt CoD multi was a step backwards from games like BF2, and really wasn't much different to playing Quake 2 team deathmatch, which I did 10 years ago.

Also, the rewards system in BF3, which was excellent in BF2, is obviously designed for 14 year olds with zero attention span, as there is a constant stream of meaningless medals and promotions. I got my first promotion without even getting a kill... In BF2 you actually had to work for these rewards, and because they were hard to get and the promotions were quite sparse you felt a sense of achievement when you recieved one. I still remember when I got my veteran knife badge in BF2, and it still stands as one of my proudest gaming moments.

BF3 had the potential to be the greatest FPS of all time, and if they had expanded on the elements that made BF2 so great they could well have achieved this. But instead they threw away all that progress to cater to the lowest common denominator. BF2 is amongst my all time favourite games, I put hundreds of hours into it, and I am sad and disappointed that the franchise has headed down this path.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3: My Greatest Gaming Disappointment
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 09:55:23 am »

I disagree with pretty much your entire post. The fact that you don't need to be a selfish loner killer is a good thing, not bad. I enjoy being able to get thousands of points without having to kill; I can play support and heal, repair, resupply, spot, etc.
It seems like you are just unhappy about all the medals for some reason... The common ones are not meant to be special, so don't treat them that way. The hard the get ones are the special ones, play for them.
You are pretty much whining that the game tracks every action and not just every ten actions.

chimein

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 10:15:10 am »

I only ever play Battlefield Play4Free, so as not to be disappointed by the paytoplay game! It works a charm...I've done it with all the good browser games - Team Fortress 2, Fallen Earth etc...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:33:21 am by chimein »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:32:22 pm »

I disagree with pretty much your entire post. The fact that you don't need to be a selfish loner killer is a good thing, not bad. I enjoy being able to get thousands of points without having to kill; I can play support and heal, repair, resupply, spot, etc.
It seems like you are just unhappy about all the medals for some reason... The common ones are not meant to be special, so don't treat them that way. The hard the get ones are the special ones, play for them.
You are pretty much whining that the game tracks every action and not just every ten actions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 06:49:03 pm »

I just bought it, actually.

But I did it my way. I waited for them to slash the $59.99 price by 50%.

I've long held out against BF3 for a lot of reasons that only recently had anything to do with gameplay. I still don't like supporting Origin, because it gives them the impression I approve of what EA does. But all my friends are playing it, I do like BF, I accepted Bad Company 2 for what it was, and BF3 for what it is. Which is an even sloppier version of BC2, from what I've seen of my friends playing.

I could spend a lot of time wishing for what games aren't, but that'd be time and money ultimately wasted. I watched a dev house try and produce their "dream" FPS and while I enjoy it, it's a buggy, agonizing mess that they're still cleaning up. (RO2)

The series hasn't insulted me so bad I'm ready to give up on it. And you have to be crazy to overlook the good things that did happen simply because you're bitter about what it isn't. But that's the trend today, I suppose.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 11:04:48 pm »

I don't mind EA, I am just rather mad that they stole my name for the name of their store. But anyway, I do plan on getting this. I hope it will turn out well, but if it doesn't, I have plenty other games to fall back on.

I don't plan on getting BF3.

Origin Systems would like to have a word with you in 1983.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:37:15 pm »

If anything bf3 forces you to be a selfish loner due to the small squad size, lack of voip and complete lack of ordering system. God knows how many gold stars I got in bf2 playing medic with only a couple of kills, not to mention countless times I spent the whole round COMMANDING. I'm not going to pretend that bf2 was a flawless utopia of team work. The majority of rounds I played featured little to no voip communication, limited use of ordering system and largely ineffective commanding. But when it worked, when you had a good commander and squad, it was beautiful.

The medals are the least of my worries, but if you're going to reduce my issue with them to a question of mathematical frequency then you perhaps need to realise that a game is actually a piece of art, and things like suspense and timing matter. When you are constantly bombarded with achievements they become meaningless, particularly when you're rewarded for doing nothing.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 01:16:41 am »

If anything bf3 forces you to be a selfish loner due to the small squad size, lack of voip and complete lack of ordering system. God knows how many gold stars I got in bf2 playing medic with only a couple of kills, not to mention countless times I spent the whole round COMMANDING. I'm not going to pretend that bf2 was a flawless utopia of team work. The majority of rounds I played featured little to no voip communication, limited use of ordering system and largely ineffective commanding. But when it worked, when you had a good commander and squad, it was beautiful.

The medals are the least of my worries, but if you're going to reduce my issue with them to a question of mathematical frequency then you perhaps need to realise that a game is actually a piece of art, and things like suspense and timing matter. When you are constantly bombarded with achievements they become meaningless, particularly when you're rewarded for doing nothing.

This, this and more this. I feel sorry for the people who disagree because if they think this crap is good they must not have ever experienced a truly great game. The Call of Duty style of game-play is an utter load of rubbish. Modern Warfare?

Real 'modern warfare' is all about teamwork, tactics, strategy, combined arms and communication not running around with a P90 at speeds which exceed mach 3 and spraying bullets at everything that moves or QUICKSCOPE!11 QUICKSCOPE1!!. What games like Modern Warfare are telling you is that they think you are an idiot because you are not able to handle any kind of strategic or tactical thinking whatsoever and cover this fact up by shoving gratuitous amounts of shiny baubles in the form of achievements and badges down your throat. I don't know about you but I like games that don't make negative assumptions about my intelligence.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:23:29 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 01:59:28 am »

Perhaps you guys need some ARMA2... on a good teamwork server, preferably. (Don't know if you'll find one that isn't running a gigabyte (or more) worth of mods though)

I kinda wish I had played more BF2 because as 'unrealistic' as it was, it was still fun. I had big issues with my internet connection back then, though, and by the time I had heard of 'Project Reality' I wasn't interested in BF2 anymore.

Speaking of that, does BF3 even have any kind of mod support? That may be partly why the Project Reality team moved.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 02:05:25 am »

Perhaps you guys need some ARMA2... on a good teamwork server, preferably. (Don't know if you'll find one that isn't running a gigabyte (or more) worth of mods though)

I kinda wish I had played more BF2 because as 'unrealistic' as it was, it was still fun. I had big issues with my internet connection back then, though, and by the time I had heard of 'Project Reality' I wasn't interested in BF2 anymore.

Speaking of that, does BF3 even have any kind of mod support? That may be partly why the Project Reality team moved.

I love ARMA II, it's a great sim, Battlefield II managed to have a lot of what makes ARMA II great while still managing to be quite easy to pick up and play. At the time it represented a good future for tactical FPS' which has now been shattered by Battlefield 3: Modern We Want Ur Monies.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 02:06:02 am »

I remember playing on the Demo servers way after BF2 was released. Somehow some people found a way to allow the demo version to work with these servers. There was only ever one map of course, but I had many fond memories on that map. The strangest bit was that I found a bunch of guys and girls who used voip consistently and formed a squad sized group who played regularly on those demo servers. It's really amazing what one coordinated and well led squad can do in a full 64 player server, I remember we were the only ones who could take and hold any of the points in any cohesive and lasting manner most of the time. Our armor usage often swung the game to our side many a time as well.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 02:50:55 am »

Definitely agree that BF2 was a good "gateway drug" for tactical FPS. It offered a nice balance between simulation and action, and it could be as tactical as you and the other players wanted to make it. I was a fan of the early versions of Project Reality then got frustrated when it kept getting more and more realistic, IMO at the expense of fun. Last time I played it I spent about half an hour in a bunker with my squad waiting for an enemy tank to leave. I'm sure that's enjoyable for some enthusiasts, but it's not my cup of tea. Maybe I should give ARMA 2 a go, though I'm currently downloading World of Tanks.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 04:00:02 am »

Some of the most fun I've had on BF3 is supporting my squad, I can get thousands of points just by spotting enemies. I barely even use my gun anymore I have to much fun with C4, EOD bots, and MAVs.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 05:39:58 am »

I think we really have to draw the line between actually pointing out flaws in new games and just bitching about nostalgia.

Battlefield 3 is really similar to Battlefield 2. If they ported all the maps you could do the exact same stuff.

The changes are mostly cosmetic or technical limitations.

Battlefield 2 was not a tatcial shooter.

I honestly don't see why someone who enjoyed BF2 would not like BF3 other than that they have become too old for video games in general.

The thing I personally find most memorable in the series makes a stunning comeback after being somewhat tonesd down in Bad Company 2.

I'm talking about C4.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 05:47:33 am by Toady Two »
Pages: [1] 2 3