Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Battlefield 3: My Greatest Gaming Disappointment  (Read 3128 times)

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3: My Greatest Gaming Disappointment
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 08:55:19 am »

I disagree with pretty much your entire post. The fact that you don't need to be a selfish loner killer is a good thing, not bad. I enjoy being able to get thousands of points without having to kill; I can play support and heal, repair, resupply, spot, etc.
It seems like you are just unhappy about all the medals for some reason... The common ones are not meant to be special, so don't treat them that way. The hard the get ones are the special ones, play for them.
You are pretty much whining that the game tracks every action and not just every ten actions.

If anything bf3 forces you to be a selfish loner due to the small squad size, lack of voip and complete lack of ordering system. God knows how many gold stars I got in bf2 playing medic with only a couple of kills, not to mention countless times I spent the whole round COMMANDING. I'm not going to pretend that bf2 was a flawless utopia of team work. The majority of rounds I played featured little to no voip communication, limited use of ordering system and largely ineffective commanding. But when it worked, when you had a good commander and squad, it was beautiful.

The medals are the least of my worries, but if you're going to reduce my issue with them to a question of mathematical frequency then you perhaps need to realise that a game is actually a piece of art, and things like suspense and timing matter. When you are constantly bombarded with achievements they become meaningless, particularly when you're rewarded for doing nothing.

As far as I know there is an ordering system in the game, in that you can order your squad, to defend/attack a specific objective, completing that mission will give them bonuses to the points they recieve for attacking/defending. Is this a console specific feature? Or are you lamenting the loss of a more feature filled system? For that matter there is a voip in squad on the console as well and just like BF2 it's underused and the command system is barely played with, but there are still games where everything comes together and you get a team of people with headsets and a decent squad commander. With respect to the medals and awards, I find that when I'm really getting involved in a match I tend to filter that crap right out, because I'm so focused on the actual gameplay. You can say what you like about the COD similarities but I do think they nailed it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:58:52 am by optimumtact »
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 02:07:11 pm »

BF3 feels more like Bad Company 3 (ie. BC2 + big maps) than BF3. I realized this after I wrote the review below, when somebody else commented on the Amazon page saying "I don't know why people are complaining, it's like BC2 but better!" and I realized that's *the problem*. BC2 wasn't bad, but it wasn't BF2.

To people saying it's just like BF2 but newer, look at this:

BF2 Squad Selection Screen vs BF3 Squad Selection Screen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I mean really, just look at the difference. Custom named squads, intuitive PC based interface vs consolized and 'streamlined' interface.

BF2 Commander Screen:

VS.

BF3 Commander Screen:

And to those who say we don't like BF3 because we've outgrown gaming... I still play BF2, I've been playing Skyrim like crazy, and most of the time my fiancee and I spend together is spent gaming.

My review of BF3, if you care:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:14:28 pm by KatalDT »

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 09:34:47 pm »

I think we really have to draw the line between actually pointing out flaws in new games and just bitching about nostalgia.

Battlefield 3 is really similar to Battlefield 2. If they ported all the maps you could do the exact same stuff.

The changes are mostly cosmetic or technical limitations.

Did you even play BF2?

KatalDT: Good review. I feel pretty much the same way.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 09:50:39 pm »

Forget gameplay, the game itself runs like ass on my system when it has no earthly reason to. Done all the tweaks, run everything at low, and I still get bouts of slow motion, frequent out of memory crashes....and hideous looking shadows. My GPU may be weak but it falls within the minimum spec. I've read some bugaboo that it doesn't like Hyperthreading and so people with i5's and i7's have to disable hyperthreading. Just for BF3. Blech. Played all the co-op misisons and most of the campaign and honestly, it barely seems worth the time. I've already watched plenty of the MP and it didn't grip me either. The next BF title that comes out is getting a heavy dose of skepticism from me, more than BF3 got.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 01:33:38 am »

I don't mind EA, I am just rather mad that they stole my name for the name of their store.
I hope that was a joke...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 02:18:56 am »

So it sounds like it's competing with MW3. So my criteria on that basis would be two-fold:

1. Does it have a P90? (The correct answer would be yes)
2. Is it by EA? Do you have to buy it from EA, or agree to an agreement with EA to play it? (The correct answer to win my vote would be 'no')

Hmm. Despite my not really liking the gameplay of MW3 much at all, somehow it looks superior to BF3! I'm not really sure how that happened! :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 03:01:23 am »

Maybe I should give ARMA 2 a go, though I'm currently downloading World of Tanks.

ARMA 2 has tanks, but mor importantly, it has the battlebus. Once the people in the video stop laughing and shooting in hysteria, it gets good.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 05:42:25 am »

I think we really have to draw the line between actually pointing out flaws in new games and just bitching about nostalgia.

Battlefield 3 is really similar to Battlefield 2. If they ported all the maps you could do the exact same stuff.

Totally. Like play as a commander, call in artillery, call for supply crate drops, call for vehicle drops, sabotage enemy installations to prevent them from sending support, VOIP with your squad, have a six person squad, capture one of the 6-10 capture points, make and play modifications that other players have made, play without worrying about 6 zillion unlocks and achievements (or even if I don't worry about them, most of my team is so they only care about getting X number of headshots for whatever unlock)...

I mean, really, I can do the exact same stuff in BF3 that I could in BF2. Besides all that stuff I just listed.

BF3 should have been called Battlefield: Bad Company 3.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 06:21:06 am »

Did you even play BF2?

I've played plenty of BF 2 and I still think BF3 is just more of the same with a few cosmetic changes. The command option was more of a gimmick. I don't recall many servers where squads were filled up and the commanders orders were taken seriously.  If you wanted to be a competent commander you were excluded from playing the game normally. In BF3 anyone with a mortar can work as artillery support, drones are far more versatile and supply crates are abundant as two of the four classes can place them. The possibilities are still pretty much the same only they are spread out between people to be more manageable.

I'm serious. Almost everything you could do in BF2 you can do now in BF3. Besides camping the enemy base and stealing their vehicles, but imo that was actually a bad thing in BF2. As fun as it may have been when you were the one sabotaging.

Bad Company 2 was way different. The were no planes, c4 was almost useless and the unlock dynamic was different.

I just think you people are missing out on a enjoyable experience by dismissing BF3 outright. It was obvious that BF3 wasn't going to be an HD remake of BF2.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 08:07:46 am »

Did you even play BF2?

I've played plenty of BF 2 and I still think BF3 is just more of the same with a few cosmetic changes. The command option was more of a gimmick. I don't recall many servers where squads were filled up and the commanders orders were taken seriously.  If you wanted to be a competent commander you were excluded from playing the game normally. In BF3 anyone with a mortar can work as artillery support, drones are far more versatile and supply crates are abundant as two of the four classes can place them. The possibilities are still pretty much the same only they are spread out between people to be more manageable.

I'm serious. Almost everything you could do in BF2 you can do now in BF3. Besides camping the enemy base and stealing their vehicles, but imo that was actually a bad thing in BF2. As fun as it may have been when you were the one sabotaging.

Bad Company 2 was way different. The were no planes, c4 was almost useless and the unlock dynamic was different.

I just think you people are missing out on a enjoyable experience by dismissing BF3 outright. It was obvious that BF3 wasn't going to be an HD remake of BF2.

I'm sorry... but Bad Company 2 is 'way different' because no planes, c4 was weaker, and the unlock dynamic was different?

First, the unlock dynamic really shouldn't be a core aspect of the game. It wasn't in BF2 like it is now. You want to talk about gimmicks? Unlocks/leveling systems in FPS are a gimmick used to get people addicted to a game without having to worry about making the game fun enough to keep people interested.

A great example is BF2. That game had just a couple unlocks, and most people had them fairly quickly. The point of the game wasn't 'SWOOSH BANG ACHIEVEMENT' or 'YOU JUST UNLOCKED YOUR RED ACOG SNIPER SCOPE FOR THE AK-74SU' - there wasn't any carrot on a stick. The game was successful and popular (and is still played by many people) because it's fun. Not because there are still X number of slots to unlock.

A counter-example would be the recent CoD games. There's always something to keep all but the most hardcore playing until the next (re)installment of the same game is released. Unlock. Unlock. Prestige.

That wouldn't even bother me terribly because with mods the unlock system doesn't matter. But wait - you can't mod BF3. And any guesses for why that is? If you believe that the engine really is just too complex for any modders to ever do anything with so what's the point of releasing a toolkit - their excuse - then I've got a bridge to sell you. (Hint: DLC DLC DLC)

Planes are a difference between BF3 and BC2, yes. For the majority of people who don't find it fun to sit at an airport team killing each other for planes all day, it doesn't make a big difference... That much hasn't changed from BF2 to BF3!

The difference with C4 is tweaking/balancing. Here, let me take the stats on this gun and change it from 10 damage to 50 damage. Woah, I just made a new game!

Mortars are actually pretty nice, several of the BF2 mods implemented it similarly. They definitely do not replace long range arty strikes though.

I tried to like BF3. I really, really did. But BF3 really is much more similar (in the style of gameplay) to BC2 than BF2. Yeah, BC2 + planes and bigger maps doesn't make a game worthy of being a successor to BF2 in my opinion. They took far too many steps backwards - removing things from the game - than they should have. Granted, those features wouldn't work well on a console, so I guess it's not surprising.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:09:58 am by KatalDT »

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 08:21:17 am »

this is why i can't wait for Planetside 2! meanwhile, i hope my cousin does not notice the lack of his PS3 and MAG.  ;D

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 11:55:03 pm »

I feel like offering my thoughts, because I recently bought BF3.

I hated the beta. I actually hated it. You couldn't pay me money to play it. The beta was the worst, most pitiful excuse for a beta I've ever seen. I vowed never to play BF3 after that.

Then I found it for $25 from a gamekey site (Completely legit, legal, ect. Buying Russian keys and reselling is legal, right?) a few days ago and I've got 13 hours played since then. It's fantastic. Aside from having to use EA's shitty Origin service and Battlelog, it's honestly not bad. I don't think I've ever done such an extreme 180o turn on a game like this before. I don't even care it's gimmicky and not true to the originals.

And if you're worried about the lack of VOIP, there are other programs that exist. I use Skype. Things like Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, Mumble, ect. Not really that much of an excuse.

I will admit the small squad size sucks ass, but it's not game breaking. In fact, given the spawn-on-squad mechanics, I think it'd break the game if they were larger. One guy sneaks past, and then spawns 15 other people? That's crazy.

tl;dr BF3 is good, if you can get over the fact that it's not BF2.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 01:46:56 am »

The sqaud size slightly annoys me, but the game is really fun if played with a few friends and voip

even tho i get disconnected every 30minutes
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 05:17:42 am »

I'm also enjoying BF3 so far, but for some reason it doesn't feel too much like a sequel to battlefield 2.  :(
Origin feels very unneccesary, and battlelog still need improvements. The singleplayer campaign was meh (also QUICKTIME EVENTS!  ::)).
There's a complete lack of ai bots, which hit me because I used to play the earlier games a lot with a few friends.
No way to customize all those weapons and random bling outside of an ongoing round? It worked before because there wasn't a crapload of really similar options to go through. . .
There's (as far as I've seen) No good/effective way to communicate to support that you are completely out of ammo and would appreciate if he'd take a few seconds to drop some.
Constant bombardment of achievement-like thingies and the game keeping track of every little stat makes it kind of hard to just ignore them and play for just having fun. At least for me.

That said the game is pretty and the sound is great (except, what's with the constant bad language? :o), it feels pretty good to play it and is pretty fun.
And at least it's gotten a fair bit easier to join 2-4 people in the same server. I remember spending about the same time joining a server as actually playing the game in the beginning. Now it only takes a few minutes.  ::)
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 11:54:21 pm »

There's (as far as I've seen) No good/effective way to communicate to support that you are completely out of ammo and would appreciate if he'd take a few seconds to drop some.
There is. I can't remember default key, but it is the spot key.
Whether they actually drop the ammo or not is a whole different question.
Pages: 1 [2] 3