Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: 3079  (Read 72096 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: 3079
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2012, 08:27:24 am »

A few small suggestions which would greatly improve the FPS aspect of the game.

If possible.

1) Make bullets to use models rather than round sprites. Even a few polygons would do.

2) Based on #1. Make different ammo models for different guns. A bullet for a sniper rifle/assault rifle, a globe for a blaster (with some effects like a trail?), a small rocket/missile for a heavy weapon, a grenade for the g.launcher.

3) Make assault rifle to fire in bursts which follow (almost) the same trajectory. Keep an average shotgun bullet damage higher to let the shotguns keep their niche. Right now AR don't feel like AR, but like another blaster.

4) Allow transparency to be read properly from the terrain.png. Right now it produces weird glitches. It will be VERY nice for a foliage/elevator block.

I can sprite the textures :).

P.S. It would be great to have a setting to increase the speed of all bullet-type projectiles. I don't want to play tennis, I want to play FPS :). It would make the game a bit harder (because enemy projectiles would be faster) but more fun for people like me.

P.P.S. It would be AWESOME to be able to make proper sprites for items in inventory; the scaling makes them to look weird, so it would be nice to have separate sprites for an item in the game and an item in inventory.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:30:44 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2012, 09:17:11 am »

I never cease to be amazed by Deon's abilities! Ideas 1-3 sound amazing and I'm sure 4 would be nice.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2012, 11:16:41 am »

phr00t,
I purchased 6 copies of through BMT and each time selected "this is a gift for someone" and put their email addresses in the box, but nobody has received their copy. They were purchased yesterday and today. I will PM you with the order numbers and maybe you can see what the issue is?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2012, 11:22:29 am »

There's the second release of my DOOM texture pack:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xjlv115ojj3ifzo

- New armor/helmet/boots sprites, other items were changed as well (generators, batteries), all freehand.
- Proper toxic terrain textures, a new wall texture.

Flowers glow in the night.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2012, 11:46:59 am »

Yeesh, (ab)using negative ETU's can get your skill/stats up brokenly quickly.
I'm level 2 and have stealing at 13 and camouflage at 24. I'm practically untouchable right now.

While we're at it:

Can we have some form of portable light source? It gets pretty dark at night and the only light sources available are the occasional pylons that dot the surface.

Are you averse to adding ammunition-based weapons? Basically, they're weapons that use ammo that you hold in your inventory. You sacrifice carrying capacity (And possibly speed), to be able to fire weapons without using energy.

Have an item/ability that turns either ores or unnecessary equipment into upgrades? It could use the engineering skill.

Some form of map/radar/waypoint generator (like in the Dead Space) series of games. The world has few landmarks and is incredibly difficult to navigate without a compass of any sort.

It may not be a bug, but Jetpacks are customizable, while batteries and generators aren't.

Skill trainers would be nice, but not entirely necessary. I've ended up with several hundred thousand credits with not much to use it on.

Some method of identifying the level of items BEFORE picking them up (or some way to scan the surrounding area in general) would be greatly appreciated. I ended up having to jump to my death after picking up an item which nullified my jetpack/grappling hook (Which ironically, took the aforementioned item and left me with two now-useless items).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:27:59 pm by Blaze »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2012, 01:00:52 pm »

What are ETUs for?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2012, 01:06:04 pm »

Effect Transfer Units (Aka ETUs) give a temporary bonus/malus to stats/skills. A medkit is basically an ETU with a fixed bonus type (Hpregen).

R-Click an ETU in your inventory to use it on yourself or equip it (like a weapon) and point it at an NPC to use it on them.

ETU's can have positive, negative, or mixed bonuses.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2012, 01:40:13 pm »

The "extended" Demo is well, anything but extended.  :-\

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2012, 04:45:16 pm »

I found a bug. You can "steal" an NPC's effect if they use an ETU on themselves. The effect itself, not the ETU.

It's placed in your inventory and can't be used in any way, though it can be sold (Ironically, for more than the ETU itself is worth).

You can also equip as many Antigravity packs as you want. And since they can be modded...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:02:25 pm by Blaze »

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2012, 05:55:48 pm »

I was raiding one of the enemy bases in the sky, and the last enemy dropped a level 6 precision rifle, rendering both my level 4 grappling hook and level 4 jetpack completely useless.
Perfect example of what I was talking about. This just punishes the player for finding good stuff. I think the weight based restriction we came up with would be a better solution and make more sense to the player.

Yeah, next version will base grappling hook and antigrav device usage on weight and not maximum item level in your inventory. However, this will still cause situations where you pick up new (heavy) gear, and your old hook/antigrav device will stop working. In this case, you'll have to drop some gear, or find better devices and hooks.

Also, I noticed there's a multiplayer option on the main menu. Anyone know of any servers?

Start one! Make sure to post it to your Twitter -- this will make it appear on my homepage's link. I will try and join anyone's server to help test the multiplayer functionality (which should be pretty solid now).

A few small suggestions which would greatly improve the FPS aspect of the game.

If possible.

1) Make bullets to use models rather than round sprites. Even a few polygons would do.

2) Based on #1. Make different ammo models for different guns. A bullet for a sniper rifle/assault rifle, a globe for a blaster (with some effects like a trail?), a small rocket/missile for a heavy weapon, a grenade for the g.launcher.

3) Make assault rifle to fire in bursts which follow (almost) the same trajectory. Keep an average shotgun bullet damage higher to let the shotguns keep their niche. Right now AR don't feel like AR, but like another blaster.

4) Allow transparency to be read properly from the terrain.png. Right now it produces weird glitches. It will be VERY nice for a foliage/elevator block.

I can sprite the textures :).

P.S. It would be great to have a setting to increase the speed of all bullet-type projectiles. I don't want to play tennis, I want to play FPS :). It would make the game a bit harder (because enemy projectiles would be faster) but more fun for people like me.

P.P.S. It would be AWESOME to be able to make proper sprites for items in inventory; the scaling makes them to look weird, so it would be nice to have separate sprites for an item in the game and an item in inventory.

#1+#2: I can put this on the "to-do" list. I'm a terrible modeler, so hopefully I can find some free models somewhere? Doing some projectile trails shouldn't be too difficult, and I agree it would look cool. 

#3: Woah, I really like that idea of burst firing! I think I can make this happen  ;D

#4: I tried to make this work awhile back, and I had problems -- had difficulty with the fact that terrain is huge chunks, so the same mesh would have to handle transparency against itself. I'll have to take another look at this...

P.S. It would be great to have a setting to increase the speed of all bullet-type projectiles. I don't want to play tennis, I want to play FPS . It would make the game a bit harder (because enemy projectiles would be faster) but more fun for people like me.

One of the big advantages to the assault rifle and sniper rifle are their fast projectiles... if all weapons had fast projectiles, it would take this element away  :-\ The game isn't just a FPS, but an RPG+FPS -- and the weapons have pros and cons. I also think the game is pretty hard as-is, and dodging bullets is pretty fun  :P

I can put this on the to-do list. If you make some sweet item graphics (and separate inventory graphics) I can just insert, it would make this feature get added much quicker  ;D

phr00t,
I purchased 6 copies of through BMT and each time selected "this is a gift for someone" and put their email addresses in the box, but nobody has received their copy. They were purchased yesterday and today. I will PM you with the order numbers and maybe you can see what the issue is?

I've contacted BMT Micro to figure out what is going on. Hopefully we'll have some answers soon...

There's the second release of my DOOM texture pack:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xjlv115ojj3ifzo

- New armor/helmet/boots sprites, other items were changed as well (generators, batteries), all freehand.
- Proper toxic terrain textures, a new wall texture.

Flowers glow in the night.

What do you guys think? Make this guys awesome textures the new default textures?  :D I think I have to include these in the main distribution to at least be an option!

Also, Deon, here is the original GIMP texture image: http://www.mediafire.com/?8c1pwjjrrc5e1my

You can (or anyone can) use it to make lighting new textures easier.

Effect Transfer Units (Aka ETUs) give a temporary bonus/malus to stats/skills. A medkit is basically an ETU with a fixed bonus type (Hpregen).

R-Click an ETU in your inventory to use it on yourself or equip it (like a weapon) and point it at an NPC to use it on them.

ETU's can have positive, negative, or mixed bonuses.

You are 100% correct, fine sir! Thanks  :)

The "extended" Demo is well, anything but extended.  :-\

The original demo was too short, so I extended it -- so it is the extended demo.  ;) I think it is just the right length now.

I found a bug. You can "steal" an NPC's effect if they use an ETU on themselves. The effect itself, not the ETU.

It's placed in your inventory and can't be used in any way, though it can be sold (Ironically, for more than the ETU itself is worth).

You can also equip as many Antigravity packs as you want. And since they can be modded...

Yay bug reports! Thank you, very good to know. I'll make sure these are fixed in the next release.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2012, 06:55:53 pm »

I would vote to make Deon's the main graphic assets.

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2012, 08:54:29 pm »

After looking at Deon's graphics (which are very cool) -- I do have some suggestions:

1) The lighting needs some work -- I think the GIMP file I posted earlier should help. I can also perfect the lighting myself.
2) There are a couple of grass textures that are the same, when they are meant to have slight deviations (e.g. flowers or dirt spots) -- the textures to the right of the "X" building blocks are the ones I'm talking about.
3) I'm slightly worried about using obvious Doom textures in a commercial game.. copyright infringement and all. Especially the skull and red switch. :-\
4) Another thing about the red switch -- this is suppose to be a health/recharge station... the red switch doesn't really communicate that very well.
5) The Humoids and Neander symbols are awesome -- but I recommend putting a red "N" in the corners, like the blue "H"s in the Humoids symbol.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2012, 11:24:47 pm »

Admittedly I haven't played that much, so this is just some annoying observations after skimming over the top.

1.) Night time is kind of annoying, day and night come and go so fast and it's hard to see well at all
2.) Picking up loot while I'm still fighting usually ends up slowing me down and sending me to my death since the inventory doesn't pause the game, there's no way I could drop stuff fast enough...

The games definitely fun though and these things will not stop me from pushing on, great job!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:31:00 pm by Infuriated »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2012, 11:39:19 pm »

During nights I usually hide in a building or blow a dugout with my heavygun and hide there until day. It's a good idea to grind up strength/energy while you wait, since it makes future battles much easier.

Just keep trying to fire a weapon until you get the message "Life support brownout.". Keep doing it and you'll gain energy over time (Just don't kill yourself); it'll go faster if you have your gravpack active since it slows energy regen. If you're overburdened, just walk around until you gain strength.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2012, 01:49:46 am »

After looking at Deon's graphics (which are very cool) -- I do have some suggestions:

1) The lighting needs some work -- I think the GIMP file I posted earlier should help. I can also perfect the lighting myself.
2) There are a couple of grass textures that are the same, when they are meant to have slight deviations (e.g. flowers or dirt spots) -- the textures to the right of the "X" building blocks are the ones I'm talking about.
3) I'm slightly worried about using obvious Doom textures in a commercial game.. copyright infringement and all. Especially the skull and red switch. :-\
4) Another thing about the red switch -- this is suppose to be a health/recharge station... the red switch doesn't really communicate that very well.
5) The Humoids and Neander symbols are awesome -- but I recommend putting a red "N" in the corners, like the blue "H"s in the Humoids symbol.
1) Agreed, it was the PAIN in the ARSE to do it manually, I did not have photoshop at the time so I had to reduce the brightness manually.
2) I just didn't have time to work on these properly, in the future updates I will change that.
3) I agree, let this be a mod and I will make my own wall and button textures and they will be okay to use. Item sprites are already 100% freehand so you can use those, and the grass/ground took quite a bit of paintover so it's not obvious too I guess :).
4) Obviously the skull and the DOOM button do not fit in the main game, I will make a proper sprite for you to use :). It's just there for the DOOM theme and some lulz.
5) Sure, the sprite is not finished IMHO because I shaded it and then remembered the need of N, and I did not want to re-shade it. Now with the proper file it's easy, thank you :).

P.S. Regarding models, are you accepting .obj format? Or which one do you need? It should be easy to make.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26