Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60

Author Topic: Bring Your Own Picture Mafia - The only way to win is to not play. [Game over!]  (Read 88954 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Bring Your Own Picture Mafia - A Day in the Art Museum [Day 1]
« Reply #225 on: November 27, 2011, 10:12:32 pm »

Of course when you say terribly scummy things like "lynch Webadict tomorrow he's scum if he lives", before the first night passes, you start to look very scummy. If you were a townie the scum would probably not kill Webadict and then laugh as you start WIFOMing yourself about if he's scum or not. Or, more realistically, you're just trying to get support for a Webadict lynch without actually getting your hands dirty. That's called "Lightning Rodding", and it's a tactic only scum should be using.

The fact Webadict is buddying you makes the both of you very, very scummy. I don't think I need to even mention why.

More later, I just need to get this out right now.
The real question is would scum WIFOM. I don't think so, ergo, I don't think NUKE is scum. And yes, I did just use WIFOM on the use of WIFOM. He seemed genuinely sincere about it, so I figured he's probably town.
I...

Webadict, you...

You gave me a headache, you bastard.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 27, 2011, 10:25:41 pm »

WIFOM within a WIFOM. WIFOMception.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 27, 2011, 10:47:28 pm »

Vote Count:

Ottofar:
Dariush:
TolyK: ECrownofFire, Webadict
Powder Miner: Darvi
Think0028:
OrangeBottle:
Urist Imiknorris:
Mysteriousbluepuppet: Urist Imiknorris, Jack A T
Andrew425: Ottofar
NativeForeigner:
Jack A T:
Darvi:
Mr.Person:
Nuke9.13: Mysteriousbluepuppet, OrangeBottle, Mr.Person, Dariush
Simple: Andrew425
Webadict: IronyOwl
ECrownofFire: Think0028, Simple
IronyOwl:

No Lynch: Nuke9.13

Not Voting: NativeForeigner, TolyK, Powder Miner

Day 1 will end Wednesday 11/30 at 11 PM EST.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 27, 2011, 11:00:37 pm »

Of course when you say terribly scummy things like "lynch Webadict tomorrow he's scum if he lives", before the first night passes, you start to look very scummy. If you were a townie the scum would probably not kill Webadict and then laugh as you start WIFOMing yourself about if he's scum or not. Or, more realistically, you're just trying to get support for a Webadict lynch without actually getting your hands dirty. That's called "Lightning Rodding", and it's a tactic only scum should be using.

The fact Webadict is buddying you makes the both of you very, very scummy. I don't think I need to even mention why.

The real question is would scum WIFOM. I don't think so, ergo, I don't think NUKE is scum. And yes, I did just use WIFOM on the use of WIFOM. He seemed genuinely sincere about it, so I figured he's probably town.

So, is it better to lynch someone you think is Town but is "useless" over someone you don't think is Town?

Also, I'm going to have to revote TolyK. He keeps posting passively. His not-taking-a-side is annoying me more and more.

It's not the uselessness that's bothersome, it's that NUKE actively impedes scumhunting via talking about no lynching. Hell, if I get proven wrong by everyone ignoring NUKE's shit (or better yet, NUKE refusing to talk back to people wanting to discuss game theory) along with NUKE taking a firm stance (simply voting for someone and leaving it on at the end of the day is enough) I'll gladly move my vote, but so far everyone talking with NUKE has been pretty focused on his nolynch and not his scummy or nonscummy behavior. Being unable to read him due to not taking a stance and offtopic arguments makes him functionally identical to a lurker that also causes problems with everyone's scumhunting, even if they're not scumhunting NUKE. Besides, he's done some slightly scummy things. Nothing that I would usually vote for because other people have been scummy, but certainly enough I'm happy with a lynch.

And what specifically makes NUKE appear genuinely sincere? Just a feeling? I'm looking for a specific quote from NUKE here, by the way. I think I'm underestimating how much useful content NUKE has posted and would like to be proven wrong.

You're also an idiot, Webadict. You pay no attention to what people are saying and treat everything like a joke. You're barely scumhunting at all, yet for reasons you're barely explaining, you're buddying with NUKE.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 27, 2011, 11:07:26 pm »

TolyK, Powder Miner: Who do you suspect and why aren't you voting for them?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 27, 2011, 11:16:11 pm »

Just woke up.
I shall post things in over 12 hours.
But quickly, Urist, here:
Nuke's being NUke, wuba's acting unlike the others, which is kinda strange.
From the top of my head i can only say that. For some reason dariush worries me.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 27, 2011, 11:45:33 pm »

So, is it better to lynch someone you think is Town but is "useless" over someone you don't think is Town?

Also, I'm going to have to revote TolyK. He keeps posting passively. His not-taking-a-side is annoying me more and more.

It's not the uselessness that's bothersome, it's that NUKE actively impedes scumhunting via talking about no lynching. Hell, if I get proven wrong by everyone ignoring NUKE's shit (or better yet, NUKE refusing to talk back to people wanting to discuss game theory) along with NUKE taking a firm stance (simply voting for someone and leaving it on at the end of the day is enough) I'll gladly move my vote, but so far everyone talking with NUKE has been pretty focused on his nolynch and not his scummy or nonscummy behavior. Being unable to read him due to not taking a stance and offtopic arguments makes him functionally identical to a lurker that also causes problems with everyone's scumhunting, even if they're not scumhunting NUKE. Besides, he's done some slightly scummy things. Nothing that I would usually vote for because other people have been scummy, but certainly enough I'm happy with a lynch.

And what specifically makes NUKE appear genuinely sincere? Just a feeling? I'm looking for a specific quote from NUKE here, by the way. I think I'm underestimating how much useful content NUKE has posted and would like to be proven wrong.

You're also an idiot, Webadict. You pay no attention to what people are saying and treat everything like a joke. You're barely scumhunting at all, yet for reasons you're barely explaining, you're buddying with NUKE.
Oh, boohoo. You're talking about his talking about things is accomplishing just as much as his talking about things. Which, according to you, is nothing. Which means you're accomplishing nothing. (It's the transitive property.)

See, you're half-right in that you're not right at all. It's not scumhunting he's not participating in; it's RVS. He's pretty much trying to end it here and now, just as he always does.

See what I did there? It's called logic. I use it to logicify things. Do you see how that works?

I mean, your being a whiney coccydynia completely misses the point. You just complain about how I say not to lynch people. You complain about how NUKE says not to lynch people. But, I bet YOU'D say not to lynch yourself, now wouldn't you, hypocrite?!?

So, Mr.HighHorse, are we, as sentient beings, not allowed to judge others lest we be judged? Because your needless flippancy is unduly noticeable.

See, that is me making a joke out of everything, idiot.

I could fire a shotgun and cover less spread than your accusations. Mostly because I think you think more is happening than is actually happening. What's that? Aliens have implanted mind-control devices in 7 out of the 10 highest GDP countries' leaders? Why don't I give the CIA a call to warn them? Is the Fire Hydrant still stalking you? Believe it or not, there are actually people in this game that are NOT trying to screw everyone else over. I, in fact, MIGHT ACTUALLY BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE! So, when I say, "Hey, let's not lynch NUKE," then you can ask, "Why?" before shouting, "THIS IS CLEARLY A SCUMPLOY TO DISTRACT US FROM THE INCOMING NUCLEAR STRIKE!" I may, just once, answer your questions like your IQ is higher than your age. But first you need to act it.

Watch this example of a webadict in his natural environment:
Webadict, sitting at his computer, catches a glimpse of one of his natural enemies... the wild Mr.Person. The Mr.Person releases a warning signal to the webadict: "Why?" The webadict, ready to counter, quickly responds: "Because NUKE did what I would do if I were him."

See how easy that is?

So, in conclusion:
Mr.Person: Blah blah blah, useless horse manure, flinging my feces around randomly.
Webadict: Stop being an idiot. Also, don't eat that.

Just woke up.
I shall post things in over 12 hours.
But quickly, Urist, here:
Nuke's being NUke, wuba's acting unlike the others, which is kinda strange.
From the top of my head i can only say that. For some reason dariush worries me.
You forgot to add how you took the time to tell us nothing. Dariush worries you. Webadict worries you. NUKE probably also worries you. In fact, you could probably write a book on the number of people that worry you. Though, you'd probably have to hire a ghost writer, as I'm sure you'd never be able to form a olid, straightforward opinion on anyone.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2011, 12:15:53 am »

Urist I, I had mostly been focusing on Nuke, and atm I'm waiting for Darvi's answer... ...I unfortunately haven't paid attention to anyone else, I guess I tunneled a bit...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2011, 12:47:25 am »

Okay, woah.

Mr.Person, if that is really how you feel, sorry. It is not my intention (appear) to be driving the game into a purely game-theory discussion area topic. Um.
I will concede that, yes, my actions encourage a high level of metagame discussion, which, perhaps, is objectionable. However, I rather like to think it is a better way to start discussion that asking each other what our favourite colours are.
I will object to the suggestion that this behaviour not only does not aid the progress of the game but actively impedes it. I believe that optimal D1 strategy for scum is blending in with the crowd. This behaviour is easier to notice when there are highly contentious issues which people are forced to take a stance on. For example, I am inclined to believe that those who took the time to argue with me are probably not scum. I believe that your average scumbucket would be sitting back and thinking; "heh, that NUKE, always getting himself lynched. Well, I don't need to help him along. I'll just sit here in the background and wait for him to die."
Either way, I will now, both due to the fact that it has gone on long enough and the fact that you have expressed dismay at its existence, stop (in so far as I can) discussing 'game theory'.

In any event, no, Nuke, I didn't think that was lynchworthy. It was a pressure vote, and I thought you HAD been berating me for not being able to time travel. unvote Nuke.
Because guess what. If you're scummy, you're going to get lynched.
:/
Try to be consistent in your opinion.

Nuke
Ignoring people is not nice, but it is a way better reaction than the one I expected! Good job, you are off the hook.
Or I just hadn't posted a reply yet...
Having let you off the hook, you turn around and say something like this. :/
Lurking is not ok. Not replying out of laziness is not ok. Even if all you say is "I'll get back to you later when I have more time", its better than nothing.

I would be voting NUKE for being generally stupid, and because the DEFCON worries me, but I suspect he may be a jester and that somebody else is the actual nukular threat (probably somebody who inned after NUKE, maybe even sending in the nukular explosion that I posted jokingly).
I can probably assemble a quote from every game I've been in lately where someone seriously suspects me of being a jester.

TolyK, Powder Miner: Who do you suspect and why aren't you voting for them?
And how about you, Imiknorris? How about you end a single gosh-darned sentence with a good old FULL STOP rather than those passive (not to mention hypocritical) QUESTION MARKS.
Long Live United Forenia!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 28, 2011, 01:31:40 am »

Webadict:
You're just going to turn this into a massive shitfling between you and Person, aren't you? A good 90% of your post is insults. If we have to sift through all the crap you're throwing to find your answer, you're doing it wrong.

While I'm at it, why are you using DOUBLEWIFOM to say someone is town? That's faulty at best and blatant buddying at worst.

NUKE: Are you going to start boycotting question marks, now?????? How does using a lot of question marks make someone scum?????? Maybe they're just asking a lot of questions????????????????? How are question marks passive?????????

You missed my post back there, NUKE. How about a response?
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2011, 01:55:39 am »

NUKE: How is my use of question marks hypocritical?

MBP, Think, IronyOwl, Jack: Do something.

TolyK: You say that you don't want to do anything that could harm town, but doing nothing (your current strategy) harms town. Why aren't you scumhunting? Why are you concerned about fucking up your voting, given that we have three days left before extensions? You have nothing on anybody. You're not doing a damn thing to change it. You're active lurking scum.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2011, 07:25:06 am »

Webadict:
You're just going to turn this into a massive shitfling between you and Person, aren't you? A good 90% of your post is insults. If we have to sift through all the crap you're throwing to find your answer, you're doing it wrong.

While I'm at it, why are you using DOUBLEWIFOM to say someone is town? That's faulty at best and blatant buddying at worst.

NUKE: Are you going to start boycotting question marks, now?????? How does using a lot of question marks make someone scum?????? Maybe they're just asking a lot of questions????????????????? How are question marks passive?????????

You missed my post back there, NUKE. How about a response?
Because Mr.Person does not have an affinity for the way I do things. Also, he is paranoid. Plus, none of that is for you, anyhow.

Also, way to insult.

And my 2x WIFOM combo is fine. I know how not to get trapped. Because really, I'm not a moron. I don't think scum would directly engage in WIFOM as a solid defense for No Lynching. It's just... stupid. And you don't try to be stupid as scum. It's exactly what I would say/do in his position. What would you do in his position?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 28, 2011, 07:25:10 am »

Wuba, just because you're probably the best player around doesn't mean you can just spew infinite tons of WIFOM. You still haven't provided any actual reasons for thinking Nuke is town... except for more WIFOM. And gut feelings.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 28, 2011, 07:35:50 am »

Wuba, just because you're probably the best player around doesn't mean you can just spew infinite tons of WIFOM. You still haven't provided any actual reasons for thinking Nuke is town... except for more WIFOM. And gut feelings.
I don't think there is anything wrong with that. There are no ACTUAL reasons someone is Town, because no one does townhunting like that. However, if he turns up scum, you feel free to shove it in my face. There are things people do that are hard for scum to copy, because it's either too incredibly stupid or because it's too incredibly dangerous. They only do something stupid and dangerous because they have to. Not because they want to.

This isn't pretend time. There are a myriad of examples supporting this. I think I have a good feel for what people would and would not do as scum.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 28, 2011, 09:09:36 am »

Because Mr.Person does not have an affinity for the way I do things. Also, he is paranoid. Plus, none of that is for you, anyhow.
I didn't answer any of it. In the end, I'm still going to have to read through it to try and get a read on you.
Right now you read as a massive overreaction. Which is why I'm asking you questions.

And my 2x WIFOM combo is fine. I know how not to get trapped. Because really, I'm not a moron. I don't think scum would directly engage in WIFOM as a solid defense for No Lynching. It's just... stupid. And you don't try to be stupid as scum. It's exactly what I would say/do in his position.
No, it isn't fine. Intelligence is not a measure of scumminess, webadict. Any of us could be scum, regardless of how smart or stupid we are. Action is a measure of scumminess, and voting for a no lynch is a scummy action, unless there's a damn good reason behind it. 

Using a lot of WIFOM is also a scummy action. Which is exactly what the bolded part is. Stop it.
What would you do in his position?
I wouldn't be caught dead in his position as any team. :P
To answer your hypothetical, I'd  start scumhunting instead of pushing a no lynch and making myself look even scummier. Especially since I don't have an established meta of doing scummy bullshit on every day one ever to 'promote discussion'.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60