Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Necropoli  (Read 5432 times)

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Necropoli
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 04:03:10 pm »

Coffin. Ground. Repeat.

Dead dwarves don't tantrum, and I need to take care of the living, rather than the dead. I must be unimaginative, maybe because I dislike the buulding part of DF.

....You dislike the building aspect of DF?.... THAT IS 90% OF THE GAME.
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 04:43:37 pm »

....You dislike the building aspect of DF?.... THAT IS 90% OF THE GAME.

I am thinking you may be combining building and digging into one thing? While I build large projects, I think a great many people diggy diggy hole. Well, kinda. But less build and more dig/smooth/engrave. +

(You know what + means, in whatever dialect you use.)

And no one really "likes" the building bit of DF. From the bloke building a NW wall from the inside, (we all tried,) to the... Yeah.

OT: Depends on mood. I usually have a beginners graveyard, (say 6x6,) and let the game lead me from there.

Sometimes I get a few more 10x10 near each other, sometimes there are damp catacombs chock full o' pets and dorfs of a disturbingly large size. I like to keep whatever I make reasonably near a semi-main hallway, though. For imaginative purpose only since I doubt my dwarfies care.

The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Zenny the Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a fork
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 04:51:22 pm »

The burial chamber of my last fortress was also my biggest megaproject. It is a room of 37x37x37, the walls are completely smoothed and engraved, the floor is paved with plates of gold. The chamber also has 8 engraved pillars which were carved out of the stone.
In one fort, I modded minotaurs to be tamable and made one of them mayor by chaining him in the dining hall.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 04:54:12 pm »

no one really "likes" the building bit of DF.

Speak for yourself.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 05:39:18 pm »

no one really "likes" the building bit of DF.

Speak for yourself.
agree

I tend to shove them in to a room out of the way (everyone from the lye maker to great warrior) I'm a horrible dwarf to the dead
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 10:11:54 pm »

I've taken to using a three level "grand hall", with occasional walkways across from one side to the other.  The middle layer is alcoves, every other tile, two tiles deep. The back tile is the coffin, and in front (once I make them) will be statues as the coffins are filled.  The top and bottom layers are 3x3 rooms with two tiles between them (so engravings in one aren't also in the next one over.  These have the coffin (or sarcophagi) in the center, a statue opposite the door, and all surfaces engraved after the resident moves in.

Most of my dwarves will get a coffin in an alcove (and the idiot that drown in the well almost didn't get that).  Those that are either requiring a tomb, or that perform some valiant (and fatal) task for the fortress will be entombed in the larger rooms.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 10:21:47 pm »

As many of you can guess, I cremate my dwarves. I carve a slab, then send them off to the next world.

People that require a tomb get an engraved floor under their obsidian coffin. If they require a more expensive tomb, they'll get a bigger tomb that's engraved, until the cost satisfies. If it's something excessive, such as a king/duke, I'll throw in steel furniture as well. They'll get flushed out and put into a normal coffin/slab, and the next person is assigned.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 07:16:47 am »

Am I the only player who methodically places all his coffins in the most high-traffic areas available? Coffins are furniture, therefore dwarves get a good thought from seeing really well-made coffins. There is no bad thought for "was reminded of a dead loved one by seeing where they were buried". Therefore my coffins tend to be placed along The Central Shaft and in my dining room or well.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 07:43:38 am »

Am I the only player who methodically places all his coffins in the most high-traffic areas available? Coffins are furniture, therefore dwarves get a good thought from seeing really well-made coffins. There is no bad thought for "was reminded of a dead loved one by seeing where they were buried". Therefore my coffins tend to be placed along The Central Shaft and in my dining room or well.

Most people would probably consider it quite morbid to have coffins lining the halls of their schools, workplaces or public areas. Littering your cadavers all over the place doesn't seem right for me. At least for me most forts mirror real life that way, industrial district for my workshops (possibly separate districts for separate industries), residential districts for housing (again separate districts for cool dwarves and the rest). Coming from that perspective, not building coffins just anywhere in the fort is the way to go. Only exception I can think of personally making with this is to go all Lenin and entomb an important dwarf on a central location in my fort to serve as an inspiration for future generations. And on one fort I had my barracks house coffins for fallen military personnel, nothing like dead warrior worship to whip new recruits into a frenzy. But rank and file Urist McEverydwarf deserves to be buried into a proper (and secluded) mass graveyard to be forgotten by the society at large.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 08:14:31 am »

I build my tombs for the starting 7, any heroes and what not, wall in their glorious tombs, then once I've walled in the only entrance, I release the minatour I placed inside it, with steel armour and a steel battle axe. The rest of the civies get a mass burial pit, or inside a murky pool, or dumped in lava.

Yes, lava, not magma.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 08:15:22 am »

This is a community that does unspeakably abominable things to dwarves, goblins, elves, cats and anything else they can get their hands on in the name of !!SCIENCE!! and !!FUN!!. I would be surprised if it indeed was the case that most members of such a community shy away from shoving cadavers in the faces of their citizens, given we're plenty used to just leaving them to rot in plain view just to see what happens afterwards.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 08:49:59 am »

I make special chambers for my favourite dorfs but i usually end up having hundreds of dead dorfs so I cant build own chamber for everyone. On the other hand they dont deserve it either.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 10:38:47 am »

There is no bad thought for "was reminded of a dead loved one by seeing where they were buried".

Needs fixed. This will necessitate burial at sea... you know which sea I'm talking about.

Methinks Necro would like that.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 12:11:27 pm »

i usually make my first coffins with rather underqualified dwarfs. putting them around for viewing would not really help
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 12:55:25 pm »

Most people would probably consider it quite morbid to have coffins lining the halls of their schools, workplaces or public areas. [...]
Most people?  First of all, these are dwarves.  Second of all, there are plenty of examples round the world (or in history) of ancestor veneration through the viewing of their remains in everyday locations.  Some quite regularly for most people, although others only for the most prominent individuals of course.  And then there's the display of the non-venerated (enemies, criminals... and sacrifices of various kinds if they don't also get a kind of "venerated" flag in that particular culture).

Personally, for better or for worse my fortresses a run without the nominal disregard for life.  Nobles get their desired tombs (as might other significant ones) but I rarely run a fortress long enough for old age to kick in[1].  I've never yet carved a slab (though I have filled the odd coffin, since slabs came out), although I made some blank ones when they first came out and lined one of my roads with them, not really knowing what else I was supposed to be doing.

Back in times prior to DF2010, I used to regularly lay out 5x5 rooms on the lowest level of the map (certain other features allowing) and give most dwarves a tomb of their own (regardless of nobility or need, although I might have needed to expand or decorate for some who wanted much better).  But back then I also used to need them a lot more than I do now, sometimes at a greater rate than I could outfit them with their living ownership of such a room.

[1] My .31.25 fort, started within a few weeks of that version coming out, has been micromanaged so much, and thus in the paused mode, that I'm still only six game-years in.  None of my 200-ish dwarves has died of old age, and my defences and more dynamic defensive measures are (<knuckles tapped to head> knock on wood) pretty much able to handle to anything but the flying-mounted enemies that I haven't yet encountered[2], thus no deaths.

[2] And I've got archers and mobility, and besides which I have the ability to make ground-path closure that rather spoils deliberate and direct flying over.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4