Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Necropoli  (Read 5430 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Dwarven Necropoli
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:49:15 pm »

Something I think would be possibly amusing/cool to see is pics/stories of how and where everybody buries their dwarves. I'm kind of wondering - is it possible I'm alone in building special catacombs, and everyone else sticks the coffins in stairwells or hallways? Maybe I'm wasting my time building these elaborate labyrinths.

So, let's see it - where do you put your dead?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Necropoli
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:21:58 pm »

A massive fucking burial chamber. The details of the burial chamber change a bit each fortress, but I always try to build one nonetheless.

The burial chamber of Gorereape is definitely one of my best. It's basically a gigantic square room(planning to have it all smoothed soon) containing rows of iron sarcophagi, each with their own stone statue overlooking them. And branching out from the main burial chamber are long, engraved halls, closed off by iron doors. At the end of each are sacred tombs reserved for particularly special dwarves, who earn themselves a burial receptacle of their favorite material. There are also small niches in the walls for slabs to be placed in.

For further additions to the burial chamber's lavishness, I'm planning on filling the tombs with furniture and a paved floor made of the owner's favorite materials as well.

Here's a screenshot that lets you see some of it from not too long ago. There's more sarcophagi in it now though, and it's a bit cleaner:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:25:14 pm »

well, normaly i carve out a new room and pack it wall to wall with coffins, but for my pyramid project i intend to have the lowest level (and the largest) as a massive crypt, with walls to devide between nobals and commoners.

Rgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELIGION: JEWISH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 08:47:25 pm »

I just build a room for my normal dwarves. They get a mass grave. My nobles and champions get tombs with statues. Eventually, when I get bored, and start making tombs for individuals, and moving corpses. Those tombs are lesser ones, though. Usually just a 3x3 room, with rough walls, smoothed once other stuff is done. And engraved for novice engraver practice. If I ever feel the need for some !!FUN!!, I will add some goblins impaled on spikes to especially liked nobles.
Rgamer likes dwarves for their industriousness. He dislikes small dogs for their annoying barking, enjoys a good run, and prefers to consume steak, potatoes, or apples whenever possible. He likes native silver, granite, marble, and ebony.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:01:34 pm »

I like to experiment with new shapes and patterns for my catacombs. I generally build the catacombs out of the way, so not too much traffic has to go through them.

They consist of smoothed stone rooms with various inlets in the walls for coffins/caskets/sarcophagi, but my design generally varies.
The notable dwarves (Nobles, dwarves who do something noteworthy, and the like) get a place of honor in the center of the room, with some carved pillars and maybe golden chains around them.

Here is the only picture I have of one of mine:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:03:34 pm by Doughnut189 »
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Trippin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:25:35 pm »

I dump all my dwarves in a "burial pond" usually the biggest pond close by. I then line the pond with slabs of the dead dwarves. the slabs branch out from the pond, and this is surrounded by a iron pillar "fence"

This becomes a meeting hall, a place to gaze upon the bones of thier ancestors, grinning skulls piercing the murky water.
I imagine that every fortress will eventually become a roiling mass of naked, muddy beardballs so fat they have to travel by rolling around.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:26:56 pm »

I my necropolis in a roughly circular or star shaped fractal pattern, granting each dwarf a coffin in a recess in the wall. I've never experimented with corpse-relocation, but that sounds like real fun. I usually never engrave slabs, even if a dwarf dies in magma or ice, because I like having a ghost or two (or three) around. especially the ones that just stand there outside as a goblin siege walks through them. If the necropolis is going to be roughly circular, I often try and make it as confusing and winding as possible, leaving no 2-3 wide walls, but I often like to keep mass graves radially symmetrical, or they end up looking like penises. And I always... ALWAYS only engrave after a section of the tomb is filled, as a formal goodbye to all the dwarves lying stone cold in each mass grave site. If they're lucky, they might get an image of themselves being disemboweled by my woodcutter.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:05:41 pm »

Coffin. Ground. Repeat.

Dead dwarves don't tantrum, and I need to take care of the living, rather than the dead. I must be unimaginative, maybe because I dislike the buulding part of DF.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:07:25 pm »

I usually try for fractals. Although one time, I found a path-between-cavern-layers that sort of just stopped halfway down (looked more like an abandoned lair), so I smoothed and engraved the entire thing and used that.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 01:33:39 am »

I never have many dwarves die in the first place. The few coffins I have to make are usually put deep underground, often in the short hallways between stairways in my main staircase. When a warrior falls, valiantly or not, I often put their tomb close to where they died.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 01:43:51 am »

I think when the new version hits I'll construct my tombs out of magma safe materials, then flood sections of the crypt as they fill up.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 01:56:42 am »

every bedroom is 3x3 with a hatch in one corner, either the ceiling or the floor, that leads to the dining room.
they each have a bed, a cabinet, a coffer and a door in either the north or the south wall, alternating from room to room.
the other side of this door is a 1x1 room with a coffin in it.
When one dies, he only has to go a few squares over, and his loved ones still know right where to find him.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 02:39:25 am »

I dig down to the deepest useless level I've mined out or that has no useful material, and dig a hall with alcoves to place coffins or slabs. If I have more Z space than X-Y, I get a row of 3x3, 3x2 (with stairs), 3x3 rooms, flanked with longer ones, to line.

(Decent) nobles, legendary miners and military dwarves, and any that die a properly brave dwarven death get larger, fully engraved and appropriately decorated tombs.

Bad nobles get a tomb with a Lever. I really only have to make one or two. It recycles well.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 03:59:15 pm »

My average mass graveyard:

Nobles that demand such are guaranteed to get a private tomb of 3x3 to 5x5 (fully engraved, additional bling optional). Other significant dwarves (military or otherwise) may get similar private tombs if I feel like it. It's not always that I do.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 04:02:37 pm »

I've been using 11x5 rooms, but multilevel chambers with water/lava falls and other decorations sound appealing.

Has anyone atomsmashed a tomb, and if so, what happened?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4