Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: You know....  (Read 8326 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: You know....
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 02:42:15 pm »

Alternatively, punt rabbits great distances.

I was murdered by a freaking groundhog in adventure mode. DF is not a game in which it is safe to confuse size with destructive power. Cats have killed non-steam Forgotten beasts, and dogs have fought off goblin sieges.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 02:43:47 pm »

Fucking badgers.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 03:13:06 pm »

DF is not a game in which it is safe to confuse size with destructive power.

1/7 of magma.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Vindictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 03:30:34 pm »

Put bluntly- Rabbits are mean.

Imagine, if you will, that you're the size of a rabbit- small, easy snack size for any large carnivore that comes along. You have to be able to move faster than these beasts, hide from them, dodge into the dark brambles where they cannot follow... And prepare. Prepare for the day you and your bretheren will rise, and devour the oversized beasts who have oppressed you since the dawn of time.

Even the gods will bleed.
Well, I now have an urge to end sentient life.

I think I'll go meditate for a bit.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 04:15:41 pm »

Imagine, if you will, that you're the size of a rabbit- small, easy snack size for any large carnivore that comes along. You have to be able to move faster than these beasts, hide from them, dodge into the dark brambles where they cannot follow... And prepare. Prepare for the day you and your bretheren will rise, and devour the oversized beasts who have oppressed you since the dawn of time.

Or, occasionally help out with the vengeance.

http://www.redwombatstudio.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=220
http://www.redwombatstudio.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=195

Links, rather than embeds, because with Ursula the stories are half the fun.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 01:08:36 am »

And to segue back to Watership Down, El-ahrairah and his brood rose up and devoured .... well, just about everything from the get-go. Made it quite hard on the rest of the animals. In fact, that's what got 'em so many predators! Something had to be done about the bunnies ....

Gooooooooood book.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 01:24:34 am »

This:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And:

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 01:30:51 am »

I own a rabbit.

(waits for gasps of amazement and horror to die down)

Ahem. It is a devilishly intelligent creature, and quite capable of doing a decent amount of harm if necessary. If you've never been bitten by some type of rodent, consider this: Most of them eat leaves and grass, but my rabbit regularly chews wood to bits, and has tried to eat the baseboards. The only creature I personally know that does better was my friend's umbrella cockatoo, which ate dragonwood for amusement.

And +1 to everyone who mentioned Watership Down. Excellent read indeed.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 01:35:55 am »

We had a rabbit...  Kinda sad critter, my mom got her I think on a whim, then spent most of its time in a smallish cage just loitering.  Still, food, water, warmth *shrug*

We'd let her roam the house a little, and she'd regularly start chewing up the floorboards or the moulding at the bottom of the wall.  Rabbits have teeth man, they will chew shit up and come back for seconds.  And then complain about the lousy service as they urinate on your wall.  Like a boss.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 01:40:55 am »

And:
I will eat your face. All aside, rabbits breed like rabbits... If you leave DF on for a while with a male and female rabbit, FPS dies after an hour or so granted it never has an occasion to pause.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 01:42:39 am »

This:
And:

That's pretty damn humorous actually.

The only rodent pet we've had was a hamster. She was my brothers' favored pet for the whole 6 months she managed to survive. I was shocked the cats/my brother didn't kill her, rather than whatever disease she caught. Impossible to keep her in that house he went and bought her, no matter what we tried. She'd literally chase the cats in her hamster ball, then smash it into a wall/roll down the stairs to escape and hide in my parents' room until they were in bed and make a nest in mom's hair. :P Fun while it lasted. Anything larger though is pushing the limit on the cute factor and becoming a small cat with an intense desire to murder you in your sleep.

Hmm... A bunny megabeast... The stuff of nightmares! :o
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 01:51:02 am »

Giving a +1 to the power of rodent jaws. Even rats can get pretty deep if you give them an opportunity, and if a rat bites you hard enough to break the skin there's a good chance it's also bitten you hard enough to give you an illness or infection if the wound isn't treated. Of course, domestic rats won't bite you unless you really deserve it. They are sweeter than anything.

In terms of Dorfort, I dread the day when vermin are given widespread capacity to spread plagues or do any real amount of damage. It'll be like that episode of Doctor Who with the shadows that eat people.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 01:52:49 am »

Giving a +1 to the power of rodent jaws. Even rats can get pretty deep if you give them an opportunity, and if a rat bites you hard enough to break the skin there's a good chance it's also bitten you hard enough to give you an illness or infection if the wound isn't treated. Of course, domestic rats won't bite you unless you really deserve it. They are sweeter than anything.

In terms of Dorfort, I dread the day when vermin are given widespread capacity to spread plagues or do any real amount of damage. It'll be like that episode of Doctor Who with the shadows that eat people.
That... May be too much fun for even DF. I could see them spreading small diseases, but I think major plagues only if you've had contact with a civ who's also got the plague. So therefore its your fault.

Vindictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 01:55:37 am »

Oh, god, rodent bites...

I still have nightmares about when my aunt's ferret Saki got loose and attacked me in my sleep. I think she was just playing, as none of the bites broke skin, but you try waking up with small jaws nipping at your jugular...
Well, I now have an urge to end sentient life.

I think I'll go meditate for a bit.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 01:59:27 am »

Oh, god, rodent bites...

I still have nightmares about when my aunt's ferret Saki got loose and attacked me in my sleep. I think she was just playing, as none of the bites broke skin, but you try waking up with small jaws nipping at your jugular...

Not to nitpick, but ferrets aren't rodents, they're weasels, which are carnivorous. Less "my teeth will go through anything!", more "my teeth were made specifically to go through flesh".

It's very likely that Saki was never taught that nipping is bad, and so does it when she plays.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6