Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Stranded  (Read 3918 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stranded
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 06:45:19 pm »

I thought we were pirates...
No you're a deep space survey vessel sent to investigate a possible life bearing planet, crewed by hapless juicy scientists.

Tell him to find some tech-geeks who can repurpose the commsat's radio into a distress signal

He calls out a name and a battered and bandaged man hobbles over.
"Excuse me sir I'll let you talk to Eric here I have patients who need my attention," mutters the first man before busying himself with the troubles of other wounded crew members.
"So you want to turn the comm sat into a distress beacon?" Eric asks with something of a manic grin "It's a matter of just reprogramming the thing, but it's meant to just to be a relay. It ain't too strong, it'll have trouble reaching too far from the planet. Also since it's ground based it's signal will be blocked by the planet save for the sector of sky above us. Not much chance of someone finding it unless they're already looking for us. Course we could always get lucky,"

Spoiler: status (click to show/hide)

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 06:48:58 pm »

could we somehow boost it?
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 06:54:08 pm »

Ask Order him this pathetic worm to tell you when the SS Fridtjof Nansen will arrive along with king Haakon XIV's royal guard the king himself.

Then give him a cold bitter frigid Norwegian stare:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:07:46 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 07:13:24 pm »

could we somehow boost it?

"Well the higher we put it the better. There's also the more hazardous route of pumping vast amount of power through the transciever. It'll boost the signal but will quickly burn out the electronics. If we want it to survive we'll need to mostly rebuild the transciever with higher tolerance componets. It would be esaier to make a new one from scratch using some bits of the satilite. Unfortunatly we have neither the power requirements or high tolerance components. The ship had a long range communications system that should have the needed parts but it...actualy I have no idea what happened to it. When we entered the atmosphere we lost large chunks of the ship or we could have crashed on it,"
"Tell me when the SS Fridtjof Nansen will arrive?" you ask breifly considering how pathetic this man is.
"I don't know sir our sister ship was due for a refit before we left and that was over a year ago. I have no idea if or when they'll send rescue,"
Displeased with his uninformative answer you stare deep into his soul with icy Norwegian eyes.
He shifts uncomfortably beneath your mighty gaze.

(That'll be it from me for a while)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 08:03:56 pm »

Well, rescue ain't comin' for a long while, so I say we get our minion to sort the survivors into two groups. Group A, seven uninjured crewmembers with skills we might need, and group B, everyone else. Order group A to dismantle the ship and construct a butcher's shop, then start butchering group B for food.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 05:36:51 am »

Well, rescue ain't comin' for a long while, so I say we get our minion to sort the survivors into two groups. Group Æ, seven uninjured crewmembers with skills we might need, and group Ø, everyone else. Order group Æ to dismantle the ship and construct a butcher's shop, then start butchering group Ø for food.

Fixed.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 01:45:16 pm »

A cruel but pragmatic idea slips into your mind: A few core crew members could survive far longer than the rest of the crew if given all the supplies and the flesh of the non essential members.
Problems come to mind immediately such as how to force the majority to comply with their execution and consumption or how to convince even some of the crew to go along with it.
If the situation seemed desperate enough they might agree to such a scarifice so that a few might survive rather than everyone dieing.
On the subject of supplies that medic had been painfully vague on what was available, telling you what he thought you had rather than say checking out what the state of supplies actually was.
A proper inventory is called for.

Crew members are beginning to notice that you're conscious again and are drifting over.
They seem confused, directionless and hapless.
Again and again they pester you asking what they should do next.

(If you really want to cut the crew down to seven you'll have some convincing to do.
But don't worry either way there should be a high body count...:)
Also I realized I left out a ton of stuff I meant to give you such as three weeks worth of food and a whole host of goodies, I'll try to work it in)

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 02:56:53 pm »

No wait! Don't kill anyone! Send a search party... due east! King Haakon will arrive any minute anyways. In the mean time, call everyone's attention and prepare a rousing, patriotic speech. Ja, vi elsker dette landet.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 03:12:33 pm »

Also, order the minion to slip away unnoticed while everyone is distracted by the rousing speech, gather up any weapons or tools that could be used in a mutiny, then hide them away in a secure place.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 04:50:28 pm »

You make arrangements to send a search party to the east and summon everyone for a rousing speech.
In next to no time the survivors gather egger to hear your words.
They're a sad mix of walking wounded and dispairing men and women.
A crate emptied of it's contents serves as your pestital.
As you step on to it the crowd lapses into total silence.
You stand there looking out across all the faces looking back at you, all of them expecting you to find some way to bring them home.
After a few moments you begin speaking; you talk about the tradition of explorers of the past, about the endurance many of them displayed against all the odds, about how they signed up knowing this kind of hardship was likely, about how that hardship is what drew many people to follow in the footsteps of the explorers of old, about uphold the honor and grand traditions of your great nation and about victory against impossibility and how together nothing is impossible.
You finish by humming a song.
It grows louder as the crew members join in one by one.
It explodes into words as it sweeps through the congeration.
And they sing:
"Ja, vi elsker dette landet,    
som det stiger frem,    
furet, værbitt over vannet,    
med de tusen hjem..."   

During this speech and resulting song one of your men was gathering up potential weapons and secureing them.
The fact that you ordered this was whispered around the crew but no one questioned it or knew where they were kept.
Strangely no one seemed to have a problem with this as most crew members viewed keeping the weapons safe and secure as a logical course of action.

Miss Jennifer the ship's cargo officer wordlessly hands you a sheet of paper as you step down from your podium.
It's a complete inventory of equipment and personnel.

Equipment
  • Comm Sat (untampered with as yet)
  • Core sampling drill
  • Hand held mineral anyliser
  • Sonic Imager
  • 5xMining Picks (confiscated)
  • 3xPistols(confiscated)
  • 6xPistol mags(confiscated)
  • M45b3 Carbine(confiscated)
  • 1x carbine mag(confiscated)
  • Food paste in tubes (3 weeks worth)
  • Water clean (2 days worth)
  • 3xSets of Climbing gear (harnesses, ropes, pitions)
  • Bottles of lab chemicals
  • 4xSets of specimum capture gear
  • 2x Microscopes (electronic)
  • One small pile of damaged computer parts
  • 5xSets of handheld diagnosis equipment
  • 3xSets of surgical tools (the guy you sent round to gather weapons considered taking these but decided against it since they were still in use)
  • Drugs (were nearly out of antibotics and painkillers)
  • 2xThermaly insulated tents
  • 6xIntact Space suits
  • 35xDamaged Space suits
  • Weilding tool (electrical)
  • 5xSets of metal cutting tools(confiscated)
  • 2xDeployable lights(electrical)
  • Metal from the hull (unquantifiable)

Personnel:
Command Crew
Active:2    Dead:12    Wounded(incap):2    Wounded(walkin):1
Engineers
Active:12    Dead:32    Wounded(incap):17    Wounded(walkin):18
Security
Active:3    Dead:5    Wounded(incap):2    Wounded(walkin):0
Geologists
Active:5    Dead:16    Wounded(incap):6    Wounded(walkin):4
Biologists
Active:2    Dead:20    Wounded(incap):7    Wounded(walkin):2
Medical
Active:6    Dead:18    Wounded(incap):3    Wounded(walkin):1
Total Original Crew: 184
Current Alive: 81

It occours to you that Jennifer is a bit obsessive

The scout party returns sooner than expected telling of deep chasm in the dessert just four miles away.
They tell you it's about 15 meters across and runs far in either direction.
They also tell you this flat, featureless dessert is riddled with holes, divets and shallow crevices that aren't visible from a distance.
Apperantly it means you have to keep your whits about you when walking across it.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 05:52:53 pm »

Oh shoot, just two days worth of water? Alright, first things first. Take the carbine and ammo and also one pistol and ammo as personal weapons. Assign remaining pistols to trusted crew members (preferably security officers, but unquestioning loyalty takes precedence) who are to follow us around at all times and act as bodyguards and/or muscle unless ordered otherwise.

Next up, order half the engineers to see if there's a way of converting the space suits into stillsuits, order the other half to construct a machine for extracting usable moisture from dead bodies (which we seem to have plenty of).

Equip a pair of geologists with climbing and surveying gear and send them to the chasm to see what's at the bottom of it.

Also, order a random lab geek to go and gather some of those desserts that the GM keeps talking about. Personally I'm hoping we get some chocolate cake, but at this point I'll take even waffles. As an added motivational measure, threaten to have him shot should he come back empty-handed.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:18:09 pm by Sordid »

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »

actually I think the crew would be better put to use in clearing out living space in the ship. It has to have water in it somewhere and it is probably rather cool on the inside. Arm those who are searching/ clearing out the ship with weapons in case of figutives/ escaped lab expermients/ whatever.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 06:29:04 pm »

We have plenty of expendable crew, we can do both tasks at once. We don't really have enough weapons to arm search parties, though. We should definitely keep our personal weapons with us at all times, and that just gives us two guys armed with pistols. I guess we could send those away, but in that case I'd be more concerned with what's at the bottom of that chasm rather than inside our own ship.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 07:05:35 pm »

Oh shoot, just two days worth of water? Alright, first things first. Take the carbine and ammo and also one pistol and ammo as personal weapons. Assign remaining pistols to trusted crew members (preferably security officers, but unquestioning loyalty takes precedence) who are to follow us around at all times and act as bodyguards and/or muscle unless ordered otherwise.

Next up, order half the engineers to see if there's a way of converting the space suits into stillsuits, order the other half to construct a machine for extracting usable moisture from dead bodies (which we seem to have plenty of).

Equip a pair of geologists with climbing and surveying gear and send them to the chasm to see what's at the bottom of it.

Also, order a random lab geek to go and gather some of those desserts that the GM keeps talking about. Personally I'm hoping we get some chocolate cake, but at this point I'll take even waffles. As an added motivational measure, threaten to have him shot should he come back empty-handed.
Yeah thanks to my dyslexia I often get desserts and deserts confused. I'm not allowed to help organize any reciptions after that last incident.

You hand out guns to some of the security crew men and take the carbine for yourself.
Your retinue is a pretty fearsome bunch of heavies equiped with pistols.
In other news your engineers working on the stillsuits get back to you with surprising speed: The space suits are supurb at thermal insulation even the damaged ones and it's a simple modification to have the suits collect sweat and other liquids it would normal purge.
However while for a time the suit will keep it's user much cooler than those with out, the heat inside will build up as the properties that keep the heat out also keeps it in.
They were never designed for extended use and as such a coolant system is nessicary for it to be viable.
The other group of engineers is makeing slower more reluctant progress.
They have thus far failed to produce a workable idea as to how to juice a corpse.
There was some discussion on making somekind of blender but the prototype motor your engineers built from scratch proved way to weak.
(It should be noted most of the dead are still on the burning ship)

The geologists have yet to report back but they haven't been gone long.

It was discovered by one of the biologists that one of his coworkers was staching water and food inculding a cake.
The appropriate punishment is made clear in your mind: nude sand angels in the sand filled with beads of volcanic glass.
But it might seem extream to some crew members.

A quick survey of the ship reveals that the superstructure is crippled, partialy melted and likely to collapse under it's own weight.
To make matters worse many corridors are inacessable, large sections of the internal ship are still on fire and some sections that arn't on fire are flooded with coolant water.
The ship should have three two thousand gallon coolant tanks and at least one is still inatact but is unreachable.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 07:16:32 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4