Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Hyperion:Relaunched  (Read 22706 times)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pixel Station - Turn 01
« Reply #240 on: November 18, 2011, 03:57:52 am »

Galatic nuclei then?
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 18, 2011, 06:06:03 am »

The Big Bang? The black hole in the center of a Galaxy?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 18, 2011, 09:57:40 am »

The Big Bang? The black hole in the center of a Galaxy?

Yeeeeeep. The Precursors pre-date the Big Bang. Where exactly they came from and what they've done since then, I'll leave for the story to tell. As you discover old Reaper, Ach'remoc, Cybraxian-Undying, Skyborn, Void Swarm, and other xeno races' ruins, cities, artifacts, and ships, it'll slowly paint a comprehensive picture of the successive fall of the universes' greatest empires, as well as an even deeper mystery surrounding Humanity's role in the universal conflict.

Only Pyro knows the truth because of his IC gift, and Ashton will get hints due to his specialty in Xenoaercheology. I've yet to determine what everyone else's special skills will be, as I'm trying to design them to not be game-breaking. The most game-breaking one is Pyros, though it'll be tightly controlled by very specific dream sequences that will be explained later on, as well as why he even receives them. I think he'll be surprised. :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 18, 2011, 10:24:27 am »

I'll tease you all with a little tiny fraction of the 10,000 words I already have on the game's storyline, pre-plot, and history. :)

"...The Origin was a cataclysmic event where an ultra-advanced alien race opened a transdimensional rift into our universe. They came from an alternate reality where every planet had been stripped of it's resources and all life had gone extinct as galaxies had spread apart into the cold reaches of dark space. Using a unique wormhole generator that fed on stars, they caused a chain reaction of supernovae and artificial Black Holes which ultimately annihilated their entire universe. With such power in their hands, they shattered the bindings of their material universe and traveled into our own."

"...What little remained of the Precursors' fleet came to rest near a young star; part of a star-link that would one day become known as 'Devourer of Light'. It is from this species that all life in our universe originates. Their humanoid, bipedal characteristics gave rise to a multitude of unique alien species who each share the same basic shape. Unknown to the Precursors, the transdimensional rift they had torn in space-time had ripped a hole straight through the fabric of yet another dimension; a reality where a ravenous horde of alien beings who annihilated every spark of life within their universe before consuming the very essence that worlds are made of. To the absolute misfortune of all, this nomadic alien menace slowly forced it's way into our reality through an oddly-stable wormhole in the farthest reaches of the known universe. Over millions of years the rift has grown wider, ultimately shrouding an entire region of space in absolute darkness. None dare venture into Dark Space, for fear of what lies beyond the wall of otherworldly shadows..."

"...In the thrice-damned millennium known as the Eve of Annihilation, the Ach'remoc homeworld and one thousand other worlds were decimated by the Swarm; mindless and unforgiving in their ferocity. Without a Capitol world from which to rule, nor shipyards with which to build, the Ach'remoc hid upon the worlds of their enslaved and devised a manner to defeat or imprison the Swarm. As countless worlds fell, The Ach'remoc managed to trap the Swarm in a massive metal tomb before causing the local star to implode in a fiery supernova... Though the Swarm would undoubtedly arise once more, it would not be for many millenia. Those many millenia were plagued by popular revolts and slave uprisings as the Ach'remoc lost grasp of their servants; no longer afraid of an ultimate species proved to bleed just as they do..."

"...Later still, after thousands of worlds had been lost to time as entire regions of space lay barren of life, the Human species would arise. By some perverse stroke of fate, the beings known as Terrans would strike a disturbing resemblance to the primordial Elder Ones known as the Precursors... The strange quasi-immortal flesh-bound beings who had put our univers's' cycle of eternal destruction into motion; yet sown very seeds of life. As foolish as they were young, the Terrans would unravel ancient histories even the eldest mortal races could not comprehend... In all their ignorance, they would stumble upon the ultimate knowledge and discover a secret that would threaten to destroy the very fabric of space-time itself. In the end, this outspoken race of volatile humanoids is the only thing that stands against the absolute annihilation of ten thousand sentient species; some of which have traveled the stars far longer than we have even existed. It appears that the fate of our existence, and that of our reality, rests upon our shoulders...

From a narrow-minded, self-centered species of xenophobic imperialists warped by greed and fear, we shall transform into a powerful race of knowledgeable and courageous heroes; surely to be remembered long after our memory has been ground into stellar dust.

...And as we venture out into the profound darkness of open space, we shall uncover the true roots of our species... Discovering a truth that will threaten the very mission we embark upon. This is the story of mankind's ascent into the galactic community, as we begin to weave our story among the stars. Whether our people become the saviors of the universe or those who damn it all to annihilation, only time shall tell... The scope of Man's genetic memory and untold power of Will goes far beyond what one might think...."

Enjoy :)
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 18, 2011, 10:27:14 am »

I won't read the excerpt to keep the surprise whole. Do Pyro ge the whole story? A balanced way would be for him to get parts of it in each dream. Small excerpt, taken at random each turn. We would be left to piece the story together, from archeology, dreams, divination, simulation, etc etc...

Also, it feels like Lovecraft writing an Aurora AAR.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 18, 2011, 10:36:21 am »

Heh, I think it's more a question of Ehndras's impatience to show off his work than thinking through the mechanics of it all. Reading back what Ehndras has said on Skype whilst I'm offline I reckon it's safe to say I've had more than a few hints about the story... not necessarily sure that's a good thing knowing all the spoilers though :-\, but trust me when I say you guys have an epic game ahead of you.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:38:14 am by ashton1993 »
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 18, 2011, 11:37:04 am »

Although one would think that Ehndra-kun is more interested in actually fleshing out the plots of each of his stories as opposed to actually playing said stories.

:P

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 18, 2011, 11:58:43 am »

Although one would think that Ehndra-kun is more interested in actually fleshing out the plots of each of his stories as opposed to actually playing said stories.

Good point
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 18, 2011, 11:59:45 am »

I won't read the excerpt to keep the surprise whole. Do Pyro ge the whole story? A balanced way would be for him to get parts of it in each dream. Small excerpt, taken at random each turn. We would be left to piece the story together, from archeology, dreams, divination, simulation, etc etc...

Also, it feels like Lovecraft writing an Aurora AAR.

Naw, Pyro gets only little bits and pieces here and there as you suggested. It'll be up to all of you to really make sense of the little bits that each of you discover through your activities.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 18, 2011, 12:01:09 pm »

Good point

I'm at work :P I wrote that Lore on my lunchbreak using my iphone's Notes feature then emailed it to myself. I already stated I can't update til this evening, if not tomorrow since APPARENTLY I suddenly need to pack up my mother's entire apartment and move all her shit. Alone. In one day. Sigh.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 20, 2011, 01:06:01 am »

Search for any clues to what happened, and if there are any space-shoggoths, do some !!science!! on them. All are free to assist Dr. Geen. And yes, I did realize the pun I just made with my name. Oh well, at least the combine won't kill me... If the headcrabs don't.

God, I've read every single Lovecraft story, it's a wonder I can still sleep...

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 21, 2011, 07:51:07 pm »

whats love craft?

whens turn 2?

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 21, 2011, 09:08:01 pm »

whats love craft?

whens turn 2?
whats love craft?
whats love craft?
whats love craft?

Actually, never mind. It's probably best that you don't know...

But then you won't get most of the stuff here...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=HP+Lovecraft
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:09:41 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 21, 2011, 11:36:28 pm »

If you haven't read the horrifying stories of the infamous H. P. Lovecraft, then don't even bother asking. :P

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 22, 2011, 06:38:26 pm »

whats love craft?

whens turn 2?
whats love craft?
whats love craft?
whats love craft?

Actually, never mind. It's probably best that you don't know...

But then you won't get most of the stuff here...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=HP+Lovecraft
Some of the most creepy shit out there. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to barricade myself in my basement. Sadly, that will not stop C'thulhu.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:40:11 pm by Geen »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26