Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: How to fight  (Read 4851 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to fight
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 10:21:56 am »

Don't be afraid to cheat. If you can't win the fight, and can't avoid it, and can't get back-up, cheat like a mofo. Throw shit, use a branch as a weapon, go for the kidneys.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 11:16:18 am »

So... you can't tell anyone because they and their friends will get mad at you.  But on the other hand they and their friends won't get mad at you if you, say, kick them in the groin?

I mean, if they're going to be annoyed at you either way, might as well actually be able to claim the legal high ground and have some protection.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2011, 11:27:08 am »

(I use the word snitch/snitching here because it's the only word I know of that describes this situation besides 'telling on them' which sounds like something a little kid would say)
There's no difference. Kids will say this, adults will say this - it's childish no matter who does.

My advice - 'snitch' the hell out of everyone. The people after you now, the people that would come after you for 'snitching', the whole works. The lot of them deserve to be brought down, just for that mentality alone. You're in this situation because you can't count on the people around you to support you when it comes to physical violence, so find new people. Anything else is going to end up coming back to you anyway, so you might as well.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 12:00:17 pm »

Pay someone else to fight them for you.

If you can't afford it' grovel on your knees and plead for your life.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 02:10:42 pm »

Pay someone else to fight them for you.

If you can't afford it' grovel on your knees and plead for your life.
Because trying to make jokes in a thread about someone asking how not to get the crap beaten out of him is hilarious  ::)
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 02:32:32 pm »

...actually, I think his odds of surviving to his next birthday will be higher if he begs for his life on his knees than if he tries to fight two martial arts practitioners who are older than him by using a couple of lame hints gathered from an online gaming forum. If he has any sense at all he will avoid a confrontation altogether.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 02:38:08 pm »

...actually, I think his odds of surviving to his next birthday will be higher if he begs for his life on his knees than if he tries to fight two martial arts practitioners who are older than him by using a couple of lame hints gathered from an online gaming forum. If he has any sense at all he will avoid a confrontation altogether.

That's what everyone here has been saying >_>

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 03:30:51 pm »

I think that if he snitches he could probably swing it so it looks like it wasn't him, he can tell the officals/authorities then turn up to the fight and just as it's about to start, someone with a position of authority can happen to "wander" by and notice that something is going down. This was a preferred tactic of our students against bullying team. As a senior I was one of the members and thats normally how we would prevent fights with no blame on either side.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 04:37:50 pm »

i take it that useing a weapon is out.
dito seaking to attack them first , or doing any lasting damage.

you will have to fight "fair".
Never fight fair out of the ring
so dont do so now,

the fairbairn sykes method, easy and brutal
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 04:59:29 pm »

Sorry to tell you this, but you can't win. Say you beat the crap out of them via some miracle, it isn't going to sole your problem. Let me tell you this: fighting may keep them off your back for a few hours but as soon as they've recovered they'll want to fight you again and you can't keep it up forever. But here's the thing, there are three of them, they are older than you and two of them are trained fighters while you're one slightly overweight kid going to a message board for advice on how to fight them, think about this logically. All I can suggest is to snitch on them (you really have nothing to be worried about, trust me) or simply don't fight back. I gave up fighting over anything that isn't life, death or sport a couple of years ago and am much the better for it.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 05:23:06 pm »

Protip: The real pain from getting socked in the face only begins a little while after the fight is over. The adrenaline pretty much makes you immune to the pain up until that point. Don't be afraid of getting hurt or the pain....that's coming regardless. Don't think about the hit you're about to receive....focus on the hit you want to deal out.

When I got punched across the jaw, my first reaction wasn't "OW", it was "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-" I didn't even feel the blow until 30 mins later when my jaw started popping out of place.

A broken nose, on the other hand, is a totally different story. There's not much delayed pain response there, your nose is broke and it is agonizing. Breaking someone's nose is almost a more effective way to take them out of a fight than a nut shot.

Believe me when I say the fear is far worse than the (probably average) beating you're going to get. I say probably because hey, you never know, these dudes might seriously flip out on you and do you some lethal bodily harm, but that's the risk you take getting into conflict with hormonally unbalanced teenage psychos.

I know this sounds bad, but I think everyone needs to have their ass handed to them at least once in life. You learn a lot about yourself from it. The trick is getting your ass handed to you by someone who isn't going to go into a red rage, and stomp a hole in your head when you're lying on the ground or kick you in the ribs until one of them snaps.

Your chances of meeting someone that violent are far, far better in high school than at any other time in a normal person's life. And lastly....don't underestimate the psychological value of being vicious. When the chips are down, all bets are off. Having been attacked by two people at the same time, been pinned to the floor and basically at their mercy......the script flipped when I decided that one of them keeping their eyes was no longer that important to me. All animals are inherently more dangerous when cornered, and that includes humans.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you fight to survive, instead of fighting because of your pride, you'll ALWAYS win unless you're dead at the end. And you'll find your commitment to survival scares the shit out of a lot of people.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:56:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 05:51:25 pm »

If you're going to punch, keep your fucking thumbs out of your fists so you don't break them.

Don't get your neck within reach of their arms.  If they get ahold of it, it's over.

If you have low upper body strength, shin kicks and stomping on people's feet works very well.  Figure out what you can do quickly, and do that.

Sometimes, if someone tries to punch you you can sidestep and use their motion to twist their arm behind their back; you can do this with their pinky alone, because people will twist in order to avoid having their pinky broken.  It helps if you've had practice.  If you can't do the twist, take advantage and jam your thumb into the pressure point an inch or so above their wrist, as hard as you can.  Or just bite them somewhere soft, like the trapezial muscles.

There's another pressure point just at the spine, at the base of the shoulder blades.  That one is also good for pressing with the thumb, though it's unlikely you'll be able to take their back.

Don't try to knee a girl.  It doesn't hurt that much.

Using your elbows is also a good thing to do.

If you can, get a stick.  If you can't get a stick easily where you go to school, start carrying a full-size, non-collapsible umbrella.

Many people fight thinking only of the directly forward zone of influence.  Small steps to the side can help you to get a good angle, because it's often harder to defend one side of the body than just the front.

Don't give up.

Breath from the tightened stomach into the entire ribcage, and exhale as you strike.  Don't do this if you can't do it quickly.

Oh, and ask MaximumZero, not me.  He's an actual martial artist, and I'm just a person who has studied a little and ended up in a few difficult situations.

But this is all advice for someone who can't avoid this sort of rough-housing.  Inform the authorities and start walking around with groups of friends.  At the very least, one of them can run off and tell administration.  I recommend including at least one girl, because it's generally assumed that they won't be able to fight and can leave easily.

Discretion is the better part of valor.  Don't pick any fights.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 07:21:58 pm »

I'll say a little more, because I can't stress enough how dumb it is to fight someone just because they want to fight you. I could give you pointers like others have here, but they'd be doing you more harm than good. If you want to know how to fight, go to an instructor. Nothing makes up for having that or painful real life experience. Take your pick.

When it comes down to it, you're going to forget everything that's been posted here until after the event. You might have it down in your head, but it'll fade right out once you start seriously fighting. Your opponents, on the other hand, have real experience with real violence, as well as sparring and drill under their belts. You will get your ass handed to you unless you're very lucky and your opponents aren't as experienced as you believe. They won't be flying out of control, they'll be a lot faster than in the movies (yes, even if they're beer-chugging bully stereotypes), and the best you can hope for is to use dirty stuff that might end up with you in jail, even if you're a teenager.

It might sound alarmist, but I'm personally surprised how blase everyone's being here about giving you pointers. There are better ways to deal with this. One of the better ones is running - that should tell you something.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 07:29:01 pm »

Eh, I thought I'd give mine because it's a set of information I've generally picked up as a small, light person without much experience.  Most of the things were suggestions for things that will slow down a bully long enough to run away, but not actually do any lasting damage or harm.  Or, barring that, present an equalizer and, therefore, a deterrent.  It's good to have ideas for things to do if you're cornered.

If any of the stuff I recommended works, it's probably going to work only once.  After that, high-tail it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2011, 07:55:43 pm »

1.) Travel in groups/with friends;
2.) Be near Cameras (not always practical)
3.) Run

Avoid fighting. My ribs still don't feel right after repeatedly breaking. I won't even get into training injuries.

Honestly, how old are you? Many lawyers have been picked on a lot and have a soft spot for kids being bullied. I do. Consider talking to one if things get really bad. My boss hates it when I file shit for them pro bono. That's half the reason I do. Having a lawyer threaten the bully's parents with thousands in legal bills to fend of a court action often does the trick.

If you have absolutely no other choice and immediately fear for your safety, when you make a fist, you keep your thumb out of it at first. Then, keeping your knuckles straight, you curl in your fingers and then wrap them down to the palm of your hand. After that, you want to hit primarily with the knuckles on your index and middle fingers. Don't "hit the target" hit through it: penetrate. Don't go for the chest or limbs. Aim for the face or stomach. Run as soon as you can. Don't use anything like a weapon or a rock, that'll end badly for you.

Fighting sucks, even when you win you get hurt and it can also get you into trouble with the law. Avoid it as much as you can. Having blood on your hands sucks, especially if you can't tell if its your own or not.

Most of the people who really know how to fight, don't want to. Trust me, you don't want to, it sucks.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:58:54 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5