Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: How to fight  (Read 4844 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to fight
« on: October 28, 2011, 04:50:00 pm »

I don't know if this has been asked much before, but here's my dilemma. There are about 2-3 people on my ass that want to fight me. Only about 2 of them seem like they will be a problem(1 of which I'm not sure about). I don't really want to get into what caused this unless it's of major concern or something, but this isn't something I can just fix by 'telling on them' or 'avoiding it'. You can't avoid something like this, because you just can't. They'll find a way and how. Not to mention, snitching isn't really something that I like to do. If I snitch I'll just get more people coming after me.

The problem isn't really my strength so much, it's just I don't know how to fight. I've had people in person tell me(not in great detail) and read some online guides, but I get a feeling these online how-tos aren't really effective.

I'm not scared of kicking them hard in the nuts, mainly because their the ones insisting this fight happen(The hatred wasn't mutual until they started this) but I have a feeling that won't work too well, because either A. They'll grab my leg or B. They'll dodge it, wasting a shot.

Note this is just one person at a time, not all 2-3 together. They're seperate people.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How to fight
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 05:10:45 pm »

You can't avoid something like this, because you just can't.
Circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because...
Not to mention, snitching isn't really something that I like to do. If I snitch I'll just get more people coming after me.
"Snitching" isn't a legitimate concept. There is no honor among thieves, and not reporting them if they cause you problems isn't going to keep anyone from coming after you.

If you could give us greater detail, that might help our ability to help you, but otherwise I must give you the advice you don't want: Avoid this escalating.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 05:13:09 pm »

Yeah, I really doubt anyone else besides the persons close friends would care that you "told on them". No one would give a shit, because it wasn't them getting in trouble.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 05:59:16 pm »

I don't know how to fight

Odds are good that neither do they.

I get a feeling these online how-tos aren't really effective.

Very likely.

Here's my advice:

1) The kind of person who goes around looking for fights is able to smell fear like a dog. If you're afraid, they will know. And being afraid will make you a more attractive target. Be annoyed. Be angry. Don't be scared.

2) Go to a gym. Spend time punching a bag. If you don't know how to punch, you're about as likely to hurt yourself when you try to punch someone as you are likely to hurt them. I cannot stress this enough. Spend time on a punching bag. Do not use gloves. Get used to the feel of hitting something. Don't let your wrists buckle. Learn to breath while punching. Practice punching continuously. Not just one punch, five punches or more at a time.  Never throw only one punch. Get used so used to throwing groups of punches that after you've thrown one punch it's natural to keep throwing more without stopping.

2) If you get into the typical standoff, them pushing and yelling, trying to goad you into a fight...honestly, it's best to throw the first punch. If they push you, that's an attack upon your person. Respond with a punch. And keep punching until the fight is over. Do not throw a punch then stop. Keep throwing punches. It's more important to keep throwing punches than whether any of them actually do any damage. So long as you're punching, they're on the defensive and less able to retaliate.

3) If you can't bring yourself to throw the first punch, don't let them push you in the chest. What happens here, is that they push you in the chest, you get knocked back. They push you in the chest again, you get pushed back. They push you in the chest, and now you've been conditioned to accept that they're only pushing you in the chest. So then they punch you and you don't see it coming because you're expecting a push. Don't let that happen. If they try to push you in the chest, knock their arm out of the way. Also, don't stand with your feet together, allowing them to move your whole body. Put one foot behind the other and rotate your chest to the side. Make fists. Whichever of your fists is further away from them will hit hardest.

4) Guard your head. Keep your arms high, and tuck your chin down slightly towards your chest. Even a glancing blow to the face can result in dizzyness and disorientation. If you let that happen, you're probably going to lose. You can take punches anywhere else...but not the head. Even if you get kicked in the balls, you'll still have a good couple seconds before the pain hits you. A punch to the head can be much worse.

5) Don't hold your breath. If you tense up and stop breathing, not only does that make it harder on you, one punch to the stomach or chest and you might get seriously hurt. Remember to breathe. Keep your stomach muscles tight to reduce the force of blows to the body, but don't stop breathing.

6) When you fight, be sure to make fists. Don't have loose fingers. Broken fingers are not pretty. Keep your knees slightly bent and your feet somewhat apart with one behind the other. Don't worry about looking like an idiot. Focus on looking like someone not to be fucked with. Be ready to move. And by that, I mean be ready to be moved Anticipate that you may be knocked over, they might grab your shirt and yank...don't set up a plan in your mind to stand there taking turns punching each other. Fights don't usually go that way.

7) Most fights end up on the ground. Be ready for it.

8) In particular, one very common thing to happen is for one person to end up on their back with the other person straddling them, holding their shirt to immobilize them while repeatedly punching them in the face with the other hand. This is not as bad as it sounds, because while they have one hand holding you, you have two hands free. If you should happen to end up in this position, don't cower, don't close your eyes, don't panic. Wrap one hand around the back of their neck and punch them in the face with the other. Alternately, a firm push with an index finger into the base of their throat will either get them off of you or end the fight. Keep in mind that just because they're holding you with one hand doesn't mean that they can't let go and hit you with it instead. Don't plan for the fight to go a certain way. Simply be prepared for what might happen.

9) Whoever you're fighting, keep an eye out for their friends. If you get stuck playing the "push in the chest" game, the others are more likely to get involved than if you're actively fighting back or rolling around together on the ground. Don't assume that the fight is over just because they stop throwing punches. If you're able to choose your target, go for the loudest, most vocal of the group. He is the leader. If you take him out, the others are less likely to try anything. Once it's over, don't linger. If you win, the guy on the ground is going to be angry and want to restore his dignity. Don't give him time to do that. Look the others in the eye, and walk away. Don't run. Walk. Listen in case they follow.

10) Whether you "win" or "lose" be sure to put up enough of a fight that they learn that you're not an easy target. Predators, be they lions or humans, prefer easy prey. Give them some bruises so they know you're not easy prey.

If you have specific questions, I'm wiling to answer.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 06:43:06 pm »

(I use the word snitch/snitching here because it's the only word I know of that describes this situation besides 'telling on them' which sounds like something a little kid would say)I'm not trying to disprove any of you because I'm looking for tips which some of you, especially LordBucket, have provided. I will say though, that two of them(One of them being the one I'm not so sure of) Are coming after me because they thought I snitched. You can't really just walk away from things like this, because of a number of reasons-Usually if you make someone mad enough to fight you, it's practically impossible to talk it out. Trust me, I've already tried this with all three of them. The one I'm not sure about is because yesterday he said we were cool and he acted like my friend but today someone told me he went looking for me at lunch. If you snitch, their friends come after you. Ad infinitum, pretty much.

LordBucket, I'll be honest, I know both of them in terms of their fighting skills. One practices MMA, and the other(the one I'm not so sure of) practices boxing. Just this monday the one who practiced boxing broked the MMA guy's nose, made him bleed from marks on his face, and there was blood literally all over the bathroom they fought in. The toilet, the floors, blood spatters at least a few inches in diameter. My only question is, if I do get punched in the head, is there ANY way I can come back from that? Mind you, one of them is a freshman, and the other two are sophomores/juniors. At least one of them doesn't seem as strong are as good at fighting as the other two, so he shouldn't really be a problem, it's the other ones I'm worried about. One of these people is one of those wannabe gangster "Thug lyfe" type of kids, but he is tough even though he got his ass kicked. I might be giving more info than necessary here, but I figure every bit could help.

I've never been in a real, real fight before where either me and the other guy got the shit beat out of him/me. The most I've had is a black eye. This is one of those things you have to practice to be good at, but practicing hurts. I'll probably move past that though.

Sorry if I made this sound dramatic, it's just it's possible I could get into a fight with one of them as soon as Monday.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:11:13 pm »

x2yzh9, you can't train enough in one weekend to best a practiced MMA fighter. Hell, you couldn't do that in a month.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 07:56:24 pm »

He isnt a real practiced one. He's fought before but he's afraid of one guy I know that doesn't practice MMA; boxing or anything, so I know it's possible

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 09:20:36 pm »

One practices MMA, and the other(the one I'm not so sure of) practices boxing.

I don't have any magic to offer you. If you're seriously planning to go into a fight against multiple people with both training and experience as well as, from your description, practical experience taking hits...it might be better to find a way to avoid this.

practices MMA
practices boxing.

If I may offer a suggestion...rather than waiting for them to pick a fight on the street, what if you were to approach them...not as an ass, not begging...just honestly explain to them that you know they have a problem with you...and would they be willing to settle it in the ring?

If they formally train, odds are good they're accustomed to a ring match environment. And in that environment...it's customary to wear gloves and stop when people get injured. Don't plan on beating them. Plan on reframing the situation so that you get to fight them in an environment where you're less likely to be seriously injured. Plan on giving them an outlet to release their anger, but without you needing to actually get hurt. Hell, once you're there at their school putting on gloves, ask them for advice. Again, just be honest. Tell them you don't know much about fighting, and would they offer you some tips? If you say that to them while in their school putting on their gloves about to get into their ring...you'll have totally reframed the situation so that instead of an enemy to be destroyed, you're a junior student asking them for advice. It's difficult to stay mad at someone who present themselves as "one of us." Especially if they're fueling your ego by giving you the chance to feel like the teacher. So give them that chance.

Plus, ten minutes in a ring and you'll learn way more about fighting than you'd learn from a weekend of reading about it online.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 09:36:42 pm »

If you can't fight, and they can, then you better start getting good at running.

If you can't do those - then seek help. Find names, find places, find any authorities.
Also, low-blow's tend to have the opposite effect desired, deprived of revenge, a libido pumped hick will either break down or rage.
Otherwise, get stronger, faster bla bla bla. Learning to fight really should be a last resort, being able to overpower someone should be enough.

If, they on the other hand are physically fit, there's not a lot you can do. Stomach, nose, very sensitive areas and if it comes to a fight - a first strike there can end one before it starts. - Of course always remember old school mantras, find someone who can help you. Tons of friends, police, anyone really.
Good luck!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 10:40:41 pm »

DOn't start the fight, but if they do, low blows are your friends.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 10:50:40 pm »

What Zrk2 said. Im terrible at fighting, but its incredibly easy to kick someone in the groin.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 10:54:28 pm »

You can't win. If you fight you are going to lose.

So. Avoid fighting, or make it so a loss is good enough.

No one is going to remember if you duck a fight by the way. Even if it is humiliating at first it will blow over quick.

Failing that do what LordBucket says.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 10:58:08 pm »

You can't win. If you fight you are going to lose.

So. Avoid fighting, or make it so a loss is good enough.

No one is going to remember if you duck a fight by the way. Even if it is humiliating at first it will blow over quick.

Failing that do what LordBucket says.

Don't do the obvious - Tense up your body and put all of your weight on your back foot, instantly signifies that you're about to kick, and what's worse is you could be easily pushed over or get hit yourself.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 10:59:45 pm »

What Zrk2 said. Im terrible at fighting, but its incredibly easy to kick someone in the groin.
Unless they are trained, then they would either grab your leg or move in closer and grapple you. Best places to land hits is
A: neck, a sideblow to the jugular can make a person black out.
B: Abdominal sides, kidney blows hurt like shit and can drop a person.
C: Nuts, man's greatest weakness but mostly covered (most guys should know by now)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 11:02:39 pm »

You don't want to kill the guy, pain is temporary but grudges can last....
And yeah, kicks are really easy to read. Bottom line is, AVOID as much as you can. Passive moves like suddenly pushing past someone can clear yourself of trouble without igniting a fight.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5