Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 73

Author Topic: Paranoia RPG, The Computer is your friend!  (Read 83668 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia RPG, The Computer is your friend!
« Reply #825 on: August 10, 2012, 11:40:59 pm »

It's just the rainbow with colorless (black) on the low end and white on the high end. And yes, gibbets are likely.

Oh, and you could just memorize this chant if you're having trouble
In Alpha Complex where we all live
livesd a brave Troubleshooter named Roy-G-BIV.
Wearin' his Reflec and his polished black boots
(Rumor is that the Commies and Roy are in cahoots)

Roy-G! Roy-G! Roy-G-BIV
He's only got three cycles to live
Roy-G! Roy-G! Roy-G-BIV
Arms like iron and a mind like a sieve

Now Infrareds are a peace-lovin' folk you know
They just work and sleep and they act like they're stoned
Everyone's equal in their underground home
But some are more equal than other clones.
But one day Roy was asked to go
Outdoors 'cause the Computer told him so
to chase down some bad guys (we know about those)
'Cause Alpha Complex is riddled with numerous foes

Roy-G! Roy-G! Roy-G-BIV
He's only got two cycles to live
Roy-G! Roy-G! Roy-G-BIV
Regrets that's he's only six clone lives to give.

Well he fought with the traitors
and wiped out a lot!
He scrubbed out the bloodstains,
A promotion he got!
He bought a nice pad with the spoils of war
'Cause what else is a higher security clearance for?

Roy-G! Roy-G! Roy-G-BIV
Roy's got less than one cycle to live

Now Roy's running scared and he's out there alone
Friend Computer ignores the pleas of this clone
His former co-workers are venting frustrations
at this high-level traitor who skirts termination

Roy-G! Roy-G! Roy-G-BIV
<Historical records have been overwritten>
Roy-G! Roy-G! Roy-G-BIV
<That data is unavailable without expressed permission>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:43:54 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 10, 2012, 11:47:32 pm »

Actually, what I recall from my last time playing is that arbitrary/stupid player behavior tends to turn up when the session is going slowly or doesn't have a clearly defined goals. Of course, given that the entirety of my experience before today has consisted of blowing things up, jumping out of helicopters, being crushed by 10-meter wide bumblebees and trying to figure out who was responsible for the malicious-hacking-of-the-minute, I might not be the best judge of things.

Though it is more than a bit boring without a secret mission to be working towards; hopefully I'll get in at the start of the next session. Heh, during my run as Steph, the only secret mission I failed was one of my two in the final session. The game lives up to its name much more when the setting isn't batshit insane (unless you're playing zap, because zap is defined by random, arbitrary death), as it gives people a chance to be sneaky about things. Though having to wade through the equivalent of an entire session worth of public chat solely composed of secret actions can be rough on a GM.

But eh, just my opinion.

Also, if a description of a place (like, say, a research lab) includes mentions of white walls, floors, coats, etc., don't just walk into it blindly. Or do, because hearing someone being shot to death by automatic turrets is bloody hilarious.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 10, 2012, 11:48:56 pm »

trying to figure out who was responsible for the malicious-hacking-of-the-minute
That was usually me. Playing a hacker character is bloody hilarious.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 10, 2012, 11:54:36 pm »

I never quite understood how one could wirelessly hack into security systems, people's cars, and robots with a device who's main purpose is to let the Computer spy on you, but maybe I'm just being a buzzkill. 

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 10, 2012, 11:54:58 pm »

For remembering rainbows, I use the poem 'Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain'.

Anyhow, how'd I play then?
Everybody!

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 11, 2012, 12:07:45 am »

I also have elements of ghost in the shell in which hacking involves "barriers" and will never work unless you have direct connection or wifi connection, the more links required to get to a particular thing like a camera linked to intsec will make the action more !!FUN!!
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 11, 2012, 12:11:22 am »

I guess we've gotten a whole lot more random shooting of teammates than bot hacking, so I hadn't really noticed.

Anyhow, how'd I play then?

Game tomorrow around 4:30 EDT (20:30 GMT). I guess I've convinced everyone to move from the steam chat to IRC since IRC doesn't randomly kick people out (as much). There's a link to a web based client like a page back that's pretty easy to use if you're a stranger to IRC.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:38:37 am by Karlito »

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 11, 2012, 12:31:52 am »

If it's 8:30 am, I can't do it. I'll check out that IRC thingie for next time though.
Everybody!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 11, 2012, 12:38:55 am »

No, in the afternoon. Sorry about that.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 11, 2012, 01:09:57 am »

I also have elements of ghost in the shell in which hacking involves "barriers" and will never work unless you have direct connection or wifi connection
Are there Tachikoma to help guide us through the interwebs?

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 11, 2012, 08:01:28 am »

Colours can lead to hilarious shenanigans.

For example, the first time I played, about our third session we got in some train-y thing which crashed into a wall and burst into flames. I retrieved a fire extinguisher from a nearby building to put it out and the extinguisher exploded, vaporizing all of my limbs. I was healed because my stump was used to paint an orange desk red so we could safely loot it and when someone had their arm cut off we used the cut-off arm to paint a green corridor red. I think it all went downhill when we got mobbed by High Programmers and I tried to do some mad chemistry to save us which resulted in implosions, or something.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 11, 2012, 09:35:12 am »

Yes, infact REDACTED has one.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 11, 2012, 02:29:41 pm »

Heh, the two funniest color-related incidents I remember are these:

We're given a fruit basket as part of our reward for completing a mission. Naturally, we all stand around examining the fruit for coloration and poison for ten minutes until someone finally bites down on a (red) apple. At which point I (and a few others, IIRC) freak out because the insides of apples are white.

And then there was the time a new player decided to go adventuring into the higher floors of a clinic while the rest of us searched for a traitor base (which I later clusterbombed). Guy looks through a door, is given a description of a sterile white laboratory. He walks in, is stopped, and spends about 20 seconds trying to talk his way out before being gibbed by turrets. It was probably one of those "you had to be there" moments, because I can't really duplicate his reaction very well.

Anyhow, question for the GM: How far is your style from "normal" Alpha Complex operations? Because what really made the game for me was how every mission was a complete roller coaster ride, longer periods of relative calm where nothing incredibly dangerous was happening, but where you still knew that everyone else was also busy plotting for their secret missions and likely trying to kill you or someone else, interspersed with Mexican standoffs, rogue (hacked and "hacked") autocars (That red autocar was the best damned recurring character I've seen in a while), brief shootouts, and massive explosions. IMO the best results came from the GM of that game just giving us our objectives and letting us act like the dysfunctional, paranoid, homicidal family that we were. I think pretty much every death (and every awesome action-movie sequence) that campaign was directly caused by one of our actions, rather than just random "lol u die".  :-\

Hell, I know I spent more time with secret PMs and working out evidence and suspicions with pen and paper than I ever did in open conversation or taking actions. What made it so interesting was that there was more to it than a series of fights strung along like a necklace of cheap glass beads.

Eh, whatever.

3. Run Resize Enable

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 11, 2012, 02:47:38 pm »

dice and all the fun we go upto, remember how i killed you by making you bash your self into the side of that truck :P, or how when me you and another guy managed to get out of that warehouse to then get to the car which then explodes killing the guy we were carrying... that was me ;)
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 11, 2012, 03:21:07 pm »

Yep, and I dodged the exploding autocar while inside of it.  :P

On that note: COME BACK RIFT WE LUUUUURVE YOU

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 73