Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 624128 times)

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.6 released!
« Reply #2460 on: April 11, 2015, 05:25:00 am »

Congratulations!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: April 11, 2015, 05:57:34 am »

Congratulations!!!!!! DR.MARK!!!! DR.MARK!!!!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #2462 on: April 11, 2015, 09:11:02 am »

I was wondering if this makes you one of the only Drs to also be developing a roguelike, but then I checked Biskup and apparently he's got a PhD as well.

Hm, maybe it's a prereq for developing an epic roguelike? :P
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2463 on: April 11, 2015, 06:53:12 pm »

Congratulations!

Thanks!

Congratulations!!!!!! DR.MARK!!!! DR.MARK!!!!

There are parades in the street! Banners! Trumpets! Those things you get at parties which you blow into and unravel and make a PRFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT noise!

I was wondering if this makes you one of the only Drs to also be developing a roguelike, but then I checked Biskup and apparently he's got a PhD as well.

Hm, maybe it's a prereq for developing an epic roguelike? :P

Ha, no, actually a surprisingly large group - me, Biskup, Tarn Adams, David Ploog... though that might be everyone. I think it must be a prereq!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: April 11, 2015, 11:52:11 pm »

the pfffffft things are called "vuvuzelas" (vuvuzela is the singular)....

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2465 on: April 12, 2015, 04:45:25 am »

Na, not those bloody things! The things that *unravel*, you get at parties, and had in the UK long before the world cup where vuvuzelas became a thing. A quick Google suggests: "party blowers"!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: April 12, 2015, 04:54:41 am »

I call them 'Bloody annoying'

Like this game is 'Bloody magnificent'
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2467 on: April 12, 2015, 09:12:38 am »

I call them 'Bloody annoying'

Like this game is 'Bloody magnificent'

Shucks! And thanks. And yeah, they are bloody annoying, aren't they? I am glad to report URR will never contain any procedurally-generated trumpet-like instruments.

OR WILL IT

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2468 on: April 12, 2015, 09:37:21 am »

I wouldn't describe a vuvuzela as making a 'pfffft' sound.

Anyway, posting to watch. This is bloody impressive.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: April 12, 2015, 03:14:14 pm »

I can say THAT'S A BLOODY GREAT GAME. (espescially when it is set in renissance times) SO i have some importmant questionz of importmance
#1: Is there a possibility to rise (or fall) in  social classes to be a King/Queen or a Crime Lord?
#2: Does skills shall be intriduced? (For example: combat skills: gunnery archery swordplay and weapon skills. stealth skills: lockpicking sleight of hand legerdemain sneak & hide. common skills : first aid medical gunsmithing blacksmithing commanderring leadership persuasion )
#3: Since at character generation i notices you generate solar systems instead of one planet so is there a way to - using magic to teleport to other planets and magically sustain yourself?
#4: Question #3 said about magic and interstellar planet using magic so do you plan to introduce magic? (such as divine magic coming from the gods or occult magic used by the cults and even arcane magic illegeal in some places because it is a heresy according to religions they will be procedurally generated not just the same each world)? This question is VERY IMPORTMANT! thankyou!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: April 12, 2015, 04:10:12 pm »

#3: Since at character generation i notices you generate solar systems instead of one planet so is there a way to - using magic to teleport to other planets and magically sustain yourself?
#4: Question #3 said about magic and interstellar planet using magic so do you plan to introduce magic? (such as divine magic coming from the gods or occult magic used by the cults and even arcane magic illegeal in some places because it is a heresy according to religions they will be procedurally generated not just the same each world)? This question is VERY IMPORTMANT! thankyou!

I know this has been asked before and the answer was that there would be no actual magic. Things may have changed however, and I'd like to think that there could be some 'unexplainable phenomenon' even if there was no magic in the conventional sense.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2471 on: April 12, 2015, 04:40:15 pm »

I wouldn't describe a vuvuzela as making a 'pfffft' sound.

Anyway, posting to watch. This is bloody impressive.

Thanks! Glad you like it (and I agree, I'm not sure that's a vuvuzelan (?) sound)...

I can say THAT'S A BLOODY GREAT GAME. (espescially when it is set in renissance times) SO i have some importmant questionz of importmance
#1: Is there a possibility to rise (or fall) in  social classes to be a King/Queen or a Crime Lord?
#2: Does skills shall be intriduced? (For example: combat skills: gunnery archery swordplay and weapon skills. stealth skills: lockpicking sleight of hand legerdemain sneak & hide. common skills : first aid medical gunsmithing blacksmithing commanderring leadership persuasion )

Thanks! Though I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you, at least based on what I can infer from your questions, it sounds like you have quite a different game in mind from what i'm making :(.

1) Possibly, but unlikely.

2) Yes, but I'm not quite sure how as of yet. I've tried and rejected a few methods, so I'm still working on that, but expect to see some form of "skill" idea develop in the next ~12 months!

3) and 4) Absolutely not! There were no inter-space teleporters in the Renaissance! The game is 99.9% historically realistic; as Retropunch said, there will be, at most, a very small number of "anomalous" items with unusual powers, but nothing even remotely that severe, and nothing even approaching a magic system. Your objective, in essence, is to decipher where these few unusual items are hidden and acquire them; none will have combat powers, most likely, and the greatest effect they'll have... well, I'll talk about that another time. Equally, there may be a few slightly unusual areas on the world map where the laws of geometry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Library_of_Babel) and reality (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Forking_Paths) bend a little bit, but still no magic. Sorry!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: April 12, 2015, 07:06:11 pm »

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: April 13, 2015, 12:32:54 am »

... but still no magic. Sorry!
And-i-hoped-magic-would-exist-but-no. HOW SAD :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( (But-i-still-hope-this-changes-soon-or-at-the-far-future)
Still-your-game-is-great.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: April 13, 2015, 03:19:04 am »

Haha, you could totally algorithmically generate the full text of every one of the 410 page books.  It might be tricksey if you wanted to be able to turn to a random page in a book without generating the whole thing... but even now I'm thinking of ways you could solve that.  This would be a cool little project...
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 222