Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Little Creations thread.  (Read 5993 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Little Creations thread.
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:11:42 pm »

After seeing the nerd bragging rights thread, I realized that while I do have bragging rights in the form of accomplishments in wasting my life gaming and reading, I haven't really created anything or really made something that I can look back at and say, "Woah, I made that. Awesome." So I'm asking you, bay 12, to help me choose a project to work on that I can look back at and say,"Woah. I made that. Awesome." And then put it into the bragging rights thread. Several ideas that I've had are writing a short story, writing a novel, making a MASSIVE drawing that can cover an entire wall in my room, producing a home film and submitting into some type of low level contest, and making my own language. Currently: I've already converted the english alphabet into my own set of symbols for cryptographic purposes, and. . . .well that's about it. Oh, I also wrote a tiny short story. So, fire away guys, FOR NERDY CREATION!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:18:33 pm by jc6036 »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Create!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »

choose a project

Get a Hazardous Materials endorsement on your driver's license so you can legally drive around with nuclear and radioactive waste in your car.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:56:34 pm »

While that does sound both NERDY and ABSOLUTLY 'FREAKIN AWESOME, I can't really think of any time I would be transporting radioactive materials around :-/

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:59:03 pm »

While that does sound both NERDY and ABSOLUTLY 'FREAKIN AWESOME, I can't really think of any time I would be transporting radioactive materials around :-/
The thing is, you probally never would. But think how great of a conversation starter it would be, and what if a cop pulls you over? It would be hilarious to see his reaction that you are permitted to transport radioactive materials.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:04:12 pm »

Exactly. It also has the advantage that it's portable and easy to show to people at parties.

Or, here's another suggestion: Learn to speak Klingon

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:07:50 pm »

I don't know, I've never really been a really big star trek fan. And I must CREATE! But other suggestions are welcome :3

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:20:27 pm »

other suggestions are welcome

...ok, just off the top of my head:

* Get a ham radio license
 * Become a certified SCUBA diver
 * Become a certified Accelerated Freefall skydiver
 * Brew mead
 * Take a stunt driving course
 * Become an certified emergency medical technician
 * You probably already have a class C driver's license. Get a class A, B or M license

If your goal is bragging rights, there's lots of stuff you can do. Care to narrow it down for us? Maybe...

* Participate in the Soceity for Creative Anachronisms and earn a title by participating in live, armored combat
 * Participate in the cosplay Masquerade at an anime convention
 * Participate in the Robot Wars competition. (Or just go see it. Next event in this upcoming weekend, so not really enough time to build a robot.)

This is all of the top of my head. Again, any particular kind of thing you're looking for?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:30:09 pm »

That is an awesome list. Thank you. For now, I need things that are somewhat low budget. Oh, and I meant things that I actually have to produce from scratch, but now I'm realizing that I need to do random cool stuff too. Keep em coming boys, I'm going to need something to do for recreation before and after college! And while I start things, I will update this thread. I want to be an amazing person, and you are all amazing for helping me. Also many of you have talents whilst I have barely any. I somehow did get the unlikly combination of good writer plus a good marksman. Gun book? As in, a gun concealed within a book? What do you guys think?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 07:37:37 pm »

things that I actually have to produce from scratch

* Build an underground bunker in your back yard
 * Build your favorite My Little Pony character in minecraft
 * Brew your own alcohol
 * Make chainmail armor
 * Build a potato cannon

good writer

Write a book? Submit articles to a local magazine? Do a forum Let's Play?

If you write a book, you can self publish on kindle at no cost if you do the conversion yourself.

good marksman

Ever fired a machine gun?

Speaking of Vegas, other fun things to do while you're there:

* Fly a helicopter or airplane
 * Go to a hacker convention

somewhat low budget

How low? I took a flight lesson in a single engine plane for $90. Some things just aren't as expensive as you might think. Potato cannon can be made for under $20. How cheap did you have in mind? Maybe go stormdrain spelunking? No cost at all there.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:57:26 pm »

Yes! I've been planning on brewing mead, and maybe making some sort of chain mail. I already know a good recipe for both a potatoe launcher and a pvc single shot paint ball gun. Also this may end up like yes man by the time I'm 25. Still, whatever anybody can think of! Also HAM radio operator sounds pretty sweet, but how much does a radio cost these days?

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 11:46:52 pm »

* Build a cigarbox guitar and get your mojo on!
* Start baking sourdough bread, easier than it sounds. Also more delicious than it sounds.

Both can be dirt cheap using what you've got already, as well as serious moneydrains.

Now go forth brother dwarf! And harness your foul mood!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 04:20:09 am »

Brewing is dorfy and nerdy (ish). There's also a few black/weapon/armorsmiths around here, check out Girlinhat's thread on chainmail, for instance.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 05:50:43 am »

I've been thinking about chain mail as well. And I've been wanting to brew mead for a while. Also, if possible, electrolysis+salt=pure sodium. Then throw the sodium into a body of water, and you get big boom. Fun.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:18:12 am »

You could also get into electronics and make some bitchin' circuits. Servo engine + motion sensor = homemade autodoors? But that's probably a tad on the expensive side. Alternatively, make some LEVERS for your house. String and gears/other round objects for mechanisms could work. You'd just need a hammer, nails, patience and permission from people near you. :P

Or, if you're feeling really primitive, make rock tools out of flint. You just need flint and a rock to bash the flint with, and maybe some wood to attach the flint to. Once you have a whole armory of the things, you've officially made something pretty awesome. Plus, it probably didn't cost an awful lot. Knapping is also a potentially useful skill if you get stranded in the wilds!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 09:33:52 am »

Chemistry is fun. Not too creative, more technical in nature, but still you do get to make cool stuff. Doing a welding course is awesome, too.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: [1] 2 3 4