Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180573 times)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #690 on: February 17, 2012, 08:25:12 am »

Oceanbridge is not the same without a hidiously crippled Ishar, so give me another melee dwarf. Male if possible.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 17, 2012, 12:26:55 pm »

I was going to suggest regenning the world with the same seed, much like what happened with Hellcannon - it basically simulated a few centuries of erosion and created every civ from scratch, sort of like a cataclysmic, history-wiping event. The new Oceanbridge could be an outpost of a different civilization (maybe even in the same spot) who end up digging up all sorts of junk from the old days and finding out about the Old Gods such as Rakust. It could be an amazing journey of mythology, warfare, and architectural foolishness!

Either way, requesting a redorfing of Croaker the medic and historian.  :D
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 17, 2012, 12:44:19 pm »

I'll be redorf'd as Mr. Anderson, make him start an arena sometime in too.
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 17, 2012, 01:15:34 pm »

At risk of sounding foolish, how do you generate a world with the same seed? I've tried copying down the one I found in the text file "region1-world_gen_param", but it just keeps creating and rejecting completely flat green worlds. I know I'm doing something wrong, but what?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 17, 2012, 02:26:06 pm »

I'd like a redorf please, good luck with a evil area
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 18, 2012, 02:51:55 am »

At risk of sounding foolish, how do you generate a world with the same seed? I've tried copying down the one I found in the text file "region1-world_gen_param", but it just keeps creating and rejecting completely flat green worlds. I know I'm doing something wrong, but what?
Um, is new world same sized? Random world from .34 gave me some alphanumeric seed number but numbers from old version seemed to work.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 18, 2012, 11:05:05 am »

Same size, and I tried to make the parameters as close as possible. I've checked and double checked to make sure it's the right seed, and it is. No luck.

I'm genning new worlds in the new version, but I haven't found one that works yet. I'm getting some close results, though, so I think my settings are about right! Hopefully soon...

Edit: Ok, down to two choices! One is terrifying on one end, normal on the other, but only has access to three civs: Dwarfs, Jotunar, and Great Fiend Spiders.

Number two has access to all fortress defense civs (got them working in the new version), but is only haunted on one end, neutral savage on the other. Nice looking embark location, though, with plenty of ocean.

I'll make a decision by tonight (four or five hours from now).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:50:43 pm by varnish »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 18, 2012, 05:09:33 pm »

The second one sounds much more FUN.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 18, 2012, 08:57:28 pm »

i wound't try it yet  zombies are bugged and when we try to build that bridge were going to get interupted
i would keep genning some worlds.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 19, 2012, 09:38:11 am »

i wound't try it yet  zombies are bugged and when we try to build that bridge were going to get interupted
Only evil embarks are on purpose, not because he couldn't find anything else.

I'd vote for haunted. It's not only, in a fact, haunted one is even more potent with fun since it can't turn out to be filled with wimpy trolls or harpies.
Request another dorf: Di-IV preferably miner, so I'm not the first (or not the only one) to get ripped apart by zombies.

By the way, make sure you use 34.02 since compatibility was broken again and Toady said all previous fortress are going to die to bug.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:41:53 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 19, 2012, 09:58:46 am »

Only evil embarks are on purpose, not because he couldn't find anything else.

I'd vote for haunted. It's not only, in a fact, haunted one is even more potent with fun since it can't turn out to be filled with wimpy trolls or harpies.
Request another dorf: Di-IV preferably miner, so I'm not the first (or not the only one) to get ripped apart by zombies.

By the way, make sure you use 34.02 since compatibility was broken again and Toady said all previous fortress are going to die to bug.

That case alright but make me 3man75-legendary weapon smith

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 19, 2012, 10:07:26 am »

Requesting a dwarfing as Rushmik the overzealous mechanic, who's passion is seeing goblins, giants and farm animals brutally dismembered by his traps.

Just finished reading through the entire story, keep up the great writing varnish! If I may suggest a sequel, perhaps the dwarves are cast into the plane of the dead (an evil biome) and by building the bridge they will free Rakust / build a bridge back to the plane of the living / somesuch.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:10:56 am by Rushmik »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 20, 2012, 03:50:31 am »

Translation of a note discovered in the ruins of the ancient dwarven fortress, Oceanbridge.  The note appears to have been written on a rope reed rag with chalk.

thiss is Remalle the dworf. There willl be now more logs everyone is dead. me and the othars wil be to soon..   We can heor them moving arond outside. the others Say wer'e doomed but still i havve hope.  becauze I have alraedy surviVed te edeath of this shthole fort onse be4.  I hav no time were found. with hammers they bash the door. our Only chanche is 2 dig

The note was retrieved from the decayed corpse of a goblin crushed under the rubble of a collapsed tunnel.  It is unknown whether the final dwarves of Oceanbridge completed the tunnel and escaped or were killed in the cave-in.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 20, 2012, 01:32:29 pm »

((Ok, let's do this thing.))

Excerpt from “The Decline and Fall of the Dwarf People”, by E. Taksmo

In the first century of our era, the Dwarven Mountainhomes comprehended the fairest part of the world, and the richest portion of the land. The people of that land were wealthy and happy, and the borders were secured against outside threat by a trained and well equipped soldiery.

And yet, nearly one century after reaching that height, the great Mountain Halls lay ruined, the once happy people slaughtered and scattered, and the machines that inspired wonder in the eyes of any who saw them were broken beyond repair. The very earth surrounding their realm broke and shifted, the consequences of which are not worth repeating, as my readers no doubt live with them daily.

This work shall examine the reasons for that decline and eventual, literal fall, an event of enormous consequence whose aftershocks are still being felt by all the peoples of this world. The particular role played in the grand play of history by one very large bridge shall, of course, receive special note. It could hardly be otherwise...

From the Journals of Asmel Machinepartnered:

Ash storms again. I am sick to death of ash storms!

There are seven left of us in the wagon, and one wagon.  The other wagons? Lost in ash storms, or torn to bits by monsters in the night. Gar kept us safe, though. He’s guiding the wagon.

We stopped as the ash stopped falling. Bayar and Dermonster left the wagon first.

They prefer to! They have weapons. But they didn’t need them. When I looked out of the wagon, I saw that we’d reached the ocean. Not a living or dead thing in sight. Just sand and water. Dead trees too, but those are common thing.

It’s the first of granite. The others agree that this is probably the place!

The world got “twisted up” in the disaster, they say but they really think this might be it.

Haika and Counselor and Goldhammer are out of the wagon, too. Counselor has got his pick out. It looks like we’re stopping here.

It's time to find out what sort of place Oceanbridge is. New Oceanbridge, I guess.

Other Dwarfs:

((A short reintroduction, but I've got the stomach flu. Bah. Also, you may notice that the years are... off. I'm putting it down to a different dating system, and not the fact that I got impatient with the world gen times.))

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 20, 2012, 01:50:52 pm »

((Ok, let's do this thing.))

Excerpt from “The Decline and Fall of the Dwarf People”, by E. Taksmo

In the first century of our era, the Dwarven Mountainhomes comprehended the fairest part of the world, and the richest portion of the land. The people of that land were wealthy and happy, and the borders were secured against outside threat by a trained and well equipped soldiery.

And yet, nearly one century after reaching that height, the great Mountain Halls lay ruined, the once happy people slaughtered and scattered, and the machines that inspired wonder in the eyes of any who saw them were broken beyond repair. The very earth surrounding their realm broke and shifted, the consequences of which are not worth repeating, as my readers no doubt live with them daily.

This work shall examine the reasons for that decline and eventual, literal fall, an event of enormous consequence whose aftershocks are still being felt by all the peoples of this world. The particular role played in the grand play of history by one very large bridge shall, of course, receive special note. It could hardly be otherwise...

From the Journals of Asmel Machinepartnered:

Ash storms again. I am sick to death of ash storms!

There are seven left of us in the wagon, and one wagon.  The other wagons? Lost in ash storms, or torn to bits by monsters in the night. Gar kept us safe, though. He’s guiding the wagon.

We stopped as the ash stopped falling. Bayar and Dermonster left the wagon first.

They prefer to! They have weapons. But they didn’t need them. When I looked out of the wagon, I saw that we’d reached the ocean. Not a living or dead thing in sight. Just sand and water. Dead trees too, but those are common thing.

It’s the first of granite. The others agree that this is probably the place!

The world got “twisted up” in the disaster, they say but they really think this might be it.

Haika and Counselor and Goldhammer are out of the wagon, too. Counselor has got his pick out. It looks like we’re stopping here.

It's time to find out what sort of place Oceanbridge is. New Oceanbridge, I guess.

Other Dwarfs:

((A short reintroduction, but I've got the stomach flu. Bah. Also, you may notice that the years are... off. I'm putting it down to a different dating system, and not the fact that I got impatient with the world gen times.))

dork me but DON'T put me on list
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 85