Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180545 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #675 on: February 16, 2012, 01:27:55 am »

In honor of the fallen we salute!
It was great story indeed.
Now do that in new haunted biome pretending that it's consequences of Oceanbridge fail. (this however may require several attempts to get an undead evil biome by the ocean, preferably with working adventure mode.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:30:39 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 16, 2012, 05:21:27 am »

Woot, FUN in all it's connotational glory. If that's even a word.

Anyway, yeah I'd love to see you start writing a new fort in the same world as Oceanbridge. Or at least as far as the writing goes the same world. Might be a good point to update and gen up a new world and go from there. Maybe some descendants of those who escaped either from Oceanbridge or the mountainhome earlier. With the right spin anything can make for good story fuel.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 16, 2012, 05:54:59 am »

I'm for new fort at 0.34. Zombies instead of Fortess Defence's alives... Not sure if this mod has been ported to 0.34, new terrifying biome is hardcore anyway.

Maybe using the same seed as for this world?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 16, 2012, 11:22:58 am »

well whatever you do I want to be redorfed as Goldhammer with the custom tittle Minister of Kilnworks and Witchhunting.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 16, 2012, 12:57:37 pm »

I'm thinking new version, same world (story wise), which seems to be the general consensus? Off to try to generate the appropriate world. This may take some time... Specifically, finding a world with two continents close enough to be connected by a bridge, with evil biomes, ideally one both sides? Hm.

Ideas, ideas.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 16, 2012, 01:21:01 pm »

This might be a bit selfish, but try Masterwork DF. Highly customizable, comes with pre-genned worlds, added content, much better FPS, things like that. The only drawback is that the tileset swapping doesn't work as of right now, so you'd have to deal with Phoebus, no ASCII option at the moment.
Still, you could turn on/off things like aquifers, individual races, set the population cap, etc etc. I think it's worth a look.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 16, 2012, 02:27:35 pm »

Perfect world seems to have been updated for this version.
Also, why both evil biomes? It could be more symbolic to have starting side in the evil biome, ocean to be untamed wilds (so dwarves won't run away seeing a zombie fish several levels below), and the destination to be calm or serene. (Bonus: build not a bridge but a sea passage using moses effect) Just a thought here, do as you like of course.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:41:43 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 16, 2012, 03:14:34 pm »

Just so you know, I have been keeping up with the thread. Bloody hell, it's awesome. Just sporadically due to real life stuff. And I vote we use the same seed to gen the world. Even had me a neat idea, if varnish wants it.

In any case, I guess it's time for another journal entry. Will it be the last? Probably not.

From the Second Book of Croaker

I guess it is my time.

I suppose I could have prevented this. I have seen the creatures of the depths before. Though no two are alike in appearance, they all share common traits other than being timeless abominations. Like all of them being immune to mundane traps.

But I said nothing. I was not involved enough. I thought Oceanbridge would be a place away from my old life. Who knows, I might have found me a frisky lass to occupy my mind (and various parts of my anatomy). But once a soldier, always a soldier, I guess.

This is my final entry. I have heard the cries coming from below. Soon that kangaroo-thing will be here, and that will be it. But I have taken precautions. Though I may not survive, the First Book, along with what little there is of the Second, will. The originals lie buried beneath my quarters, safe until Time claims them. I had made a copy of my writings and stashed it in a chest. As soon as I'm done here, I'm chucking that chest in the ocean. If there's even a tiny chance that our history will live on, I'm willing to take it.

I can hear the others out in the halls. The beast has come. I don't have much time. I never actually thought I'd get to write my own epitaph.

So ends the journey of Croaker, medic and last survivor of Punchdoors, later medic of Oceanbridge. Rakust take me. Break out the keg, lads, I am coming home.

I am putting the pen down.

Sequel hook, anyone?
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 16, 2012, 08:52:34 pm »

Ok, this is going to take longer than I expected. Checking out several mods, though the fact that I would have to use the tileset makes the Masterwork one less appealing. Tilesets confuse the heck out of me. I do like all the options, though.

In the meantime, if you want to be redwarfed, let me know. And Rhaken, i'm open to any sort of suggestion right now.

I hope to get the restart going soon.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 17, 2012, 01:25:24 am »

Requesting eternal redwarfing. You know the drill, I can't move on until the job is done.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 17, 2012, 01:33:19 am »

Sure, I'll take another dwarf when things get working again. Maybe put in a Haika for a farmer/cook.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 17, 2012, 02:30:43 am »

I'll be glad to be dorfed/redorfed in the next iteration of Oceanbridge.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 17, 2012, 07:03:51 am »

Would love to be dorfed again. Female dwarf named Bayar, sister of the two brothers that died in Oceanbridge. Yeah, their father was not all that creative when coming up with names.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 17, 2012, 07:45:27 am »

Sure. Military like last time.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 17, 2012, 08:11:46 am »

Sure thing I want a dorf! Gar, male mechanic, as usual. Make auto-atomsmashing every zombie that escapes refuze stockpile, water - or magma-cleaning battelfield device, and such.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 85