Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 180568 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort (.34.02!)
« Reply #720 on: February 22, 2012, 08:44:20 pm »

((I always like your contributions, Rhaken. And it fits with what I'm planning. And I'll try, Count Crosby! I haven't seen a vampire yet, so I have no idea what to expect with them))

From the Journals of Asmel Machinepartnered:

Spring and summer are gone, without a fuss.

One of the undead birds jumped back up, and got put down again by the dogs. Bayar came up with a good solution to that problem. We dumped all the bodies in a pile and walled and roofed it up.

They can come back to undead life all they want now! The only thing they have to eat is each other.

I keep busy taking note of things. How many basalt rocks, and so on. I’m also working on a “Why Are We Here” thing. So I can take it out and remind myself, mainly. Here it is:

1. What happened? What we know is: the dwarfs here built a bridge. At some point, awful things happened. Many died. Shortly after, the world fell to pieces. The dead came back to life. It would be nice to know why.

2. Build the bridge. It's important, enough for people like Bayar and Gar to want to do it. Why? A good question.

3. ?

I'll hold that last one. Noises at the wall! It could mean anything...

Meanwhile, Very Elsewhere:

Neo's spirit drifted through... something. There was no sense of time here, or of place, only an endlessly unfolding now. Dim, grey shapes moved in and out of his senses, and the only sound was a distant, all pervading hum. There was a sense of almost infinite peace that filled the... air, for lack of a better word.

In short, it was very, very dull.

He didn't know how long he'd been there, but he remembered enough to know that he had to get out. And he spent every moment he could straining to remember who he was, where he was, and that he was, that he nearly missed the opportunity when it arrived.

The first thing he noticed was a different sort of sound, and a shape that was almost solid. There were five of them, and they were very close. (Though, since there was no sense of place, they weren't close at all. Or they were right on top of him. It was, Neo admitted, confusing.) He knew, without knowing how he knew, that they were living things. And that if he found the path, he could follow into one of them and... escape.

He watched (or didn't, as he had no eyes, but "watched" was probably the closest word) for some time until... ah! There it was!

With a mental apology to whomever he had found,  Neo leapt.

And opened his eyes.

"Well, my boy? What now? Do we run for it, or die standing here?"

The first thing that Neo saw was another dwarf, fortunately enough.

He was looking at Neo with one eyebrow raised. Looking around, he saw that he was standing, surrounded by four other dwarfs. They were standing on vile, diseased grass, with only a few broken tree stumps to break the monotony. But in the distance he could hear waves crashing. He could also hear howling, which sounded much, much closer.

The other dwarf started tapping his foot.

Neo guessed. "Run?"

"Right! The rest of you jackasses, see that wall over there?" There was one, fairly far away. "That tells me there's dwarfs here. Safety. We make it there, I'll brew you all a barrel of booze apiece! Now, run!"

It was a damn close thing, but they made it in.

From the Journals of Asmel Machinepartnered, Continued:

More dwarfs at the gate! Bayar says they're survivors from the expedition. We aren't the only ones!

The names are: Ishar, Jacen, Di-IV, Alkhemia and Neo. All familiar. I'm sure we met when the expedition started. That would explain it, I think.

Dwarfs:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next: Introductions all Around, and A Severe Lack of Beds.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 23, 2012, 02:56:13 am »

I live!(again...)
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 24, 2012, 07:59:15 am »

What a waste of potentially useful zombies.
Later we should collect and weaponize most useful corpses, by killing, capturing arisen corpses and release them againist enemies.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 24, 2012, 11:01:01 am »

Later we should collect and weaponize most useful corpses, by killing, capturing arisen corpses and release them againist enemies.
Well, flyers are not easy to control, so locking them up may be for the best.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 24, 2012, 01:08:20 pm »

Well, flyers are not easy to control, so locking them up may be for the best.
True, but if we chop their wings off... no wings - no fly!
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 24, 2012, 04:40:18 pm »

((I actually was hoping they would all come back to life in that one square, all piled on top of each other. But it seems like they only come back when they can actually see things to kill, or something. Anyway, very short update:

Autumn to Winter

The new arrivals settled in. Bayar was pleased to see Neo, as the dwarf Neo possessed had been one of the other soldiers from the expedition.  He then introduced himself as "Neo". It was awkward. Neo realized he should have spent his eternity of ghostly wandering learning how to lie, or at least made up an alibi.

Jacen began demanding fat for soap, and, in the grand tradition of soapmakers everywhere, was ignored. Ignored more than usual, as any attempt to make soap would probably result in yak tallow zombies.

Various animals starved to death because they couldn't find a way to eat sand.

And some progress was made on the new bridge. It was slightly more colorful than the old one.

Winter arrived, with no discernible change in the landscape.

Next: Things and That Other Thing

((I think I hate the narrator I've been using. Wilberforce was a lot more fun to write. Of course, he's dead, but.... Hm.))

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 25, 2012, 01:27:48 am »

Hey, great stor(ies) so far.

Can I get dorfed as a doctor? He would, of course, be well-meaning but smoke way too much rat weed on the job.
Obsidian cancels common sense: Interrupted by insanity
!!carp!!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 25, 2012, 02:05:55 am »

I actually was hoping they would all come back to life in that one square, all piled on top of each other. But it seems like they only come back when they can actually see things to kill, or something.
They only raise in evil biome, if ocean isn't then coastline is safe as well.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 25, 2012, 04:28:18 am »

Wilberforce can do what I did! We can be partners in possession.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

windlessuser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 25, 2012, 12:45:33 pm »

Wow, I've just read this over the past 2 days. Can I request to be Dorfed? twin dwarfs: Devlen De'Daleroc - A crossbow dwarf Hunter with a faithful war tiger Ezreal, and Dimaga De'Baleroc a Dual-wielding Axe Dwarf. The siblings are adventuring Archaeologists who've been researching the fall of the old Oceanbridge, and the mountain home from which the founders came from. Their research brought them to the new Oceanbridge in a travelling migrate wave.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:02 am »

((I actually was hoping they would all come back to life in that one square, all piled on top of each other. But it seems like they only come back when they can actually see things to kill, or something.
They come back then laying on evil tiles. I once had corpse raised while being transported to refuse stockpile, as Urist McHauler stepped at evil biome.
Huh... Bodyparts moved by water stream into evilness and are raising angry againist any living being! This must be done!!!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 27, 2012, 01:54:32 pm »

((Ok. Today is my day off, so that means time for an update! Maybe two. But probably one))

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished, Volume II

Dear readers! Let me tell you, it's good to be addressing you, my readers, again, as I once thought I would never have the opportunity to do so again!

You may be wondering what I'm referring to. Well, the truth is that I appear to have been dead for some time. Now, that sort of thing normally makes writing one's memoirs difficult, but it seems as though the barriers between life and death have completely broken down. Dead coming back to haunt the living and so on. Frankly, the whole thing is a mess, and it's all quite frustrating.

Well, I intend to clean this mess up.

I arrived back in Oceanbridge (Let's not bother with how. I feel a tad guilty about it still.), to find it... changed. Some sort of world devastating disaster, I assumed. The bridge itself seems to be long gone, I fear. I have no idea what happened, or how long it's been like this. But there were more pressing matters at hand. A good number of migrants had arrived, myself among them, only to be set upon by some zombie ogres.

Time to start cleaning.

Zombie Attack Number... Five?

The zombie ogres had decided the dogs of Oceanbridge were an easier and tastier option than half a dozen migrants,

and had started tearing them to pieces, as zombies are wont to do.

Bayar reached the entrance first. She had faced plenty of undead before, and if the new recruits hadn't, well, she'd show them how to deal with them. Lead by example!

It didn't work very well.

Fortunately, Ishar and Dermonster were more than ready to deal with a bunch of reanimated corpses.

While the "army" fought off the ogres, one of the dog corpses left behind began to twitch. As if powered by some unnatural force (actually, because it was powered by an unnatural force), the dog stood up and turned to face the approaching group of migrants. Blood and brains coated its fur, and it walked jerkily towards them.

Well, that's an unpleasant sight, Wilberforce thought. He turned to one of the other migrants, a mechanic.

"You there! What's your name?

The other dwarf looked puzzled. "It's... it's Rushmik. I thought you knew that. I just introduced myself yesterday-"

"No time for that nonsense. You ever killed a dead dog before?"

"No."

"Me either! Here's a chance to learn, then."

The battle was swift, though disgusting. Wilbeforce aimed an enthusiastic kick at the monstrosity, which it completely ignored. Rushmik had better luck, and better aim, and he brought the dog down with a single punch to its already broken skull.

"Oh dear gods that's disgusting. I've even got brain under my fingernails!"

"No time for a wash up, my friend. To the bridge!"

Like the last group, they made it to safety. Though with a pile of corpses now sitting inside the walls, it was questionable just how safe any of them were.

Next: More Dwarfs with Names! Like, a Lot More!

Rushmik:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Dang it, I forgot to take a screenshot of the ogre fight. Well, Ishar killed them with his bare fists. It was pretty great.))

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 27, 2012, 02:45:28 pm »

What the hell? A fight happened, and my dwarf has all his limbs intact? Varnish, you are losing your touch at disaster.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:51 pm »

Dwarf me, if you please - Name: Slime, Labor: Mason/Architect (unless you've got the latter over-covered), Profession: Bridge Connoisseur. When both the danger to builders and the desire for bridge continuation are at their highest, he is your man. Woman. Mutilated corpse. In all things bridges, they will be there for you.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 27, 2012, 03:04:38 pm »

Oh, that reminds me! If you have any ideas on what the new bridge should look like, tell me about them! Right now I'm just making a rock block causeway, and that's sort of boring. Keep in mind that I haven't found any metals yet, though.

I'm sorry, Ishar. I don't know what's wrong with me! I'll try my best to get him crippled by the next update.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 85