Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231925 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Spring 416a)
« Reply #1995 on: December 06, 2011, 05:09:28 pm »

Convince the soldiers that this idea is suicidal and stupid
[2+1] The soldiers point out that this is exactly what you would say if you really were betraying the queen. They refuse to stand down. Of course, they realize that there is a war going on, but right now, their orders are to stay where they are, and they are going to follow them perfectly.
Long Live United Forenia!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: December 06, 2011, 05:20:29 pm »

Kathos gave a look of pure hate to Sheb when he heard the reactions of the soldiers.

"Fine. You want to stay here, stay here. Especially you, Sheb Dimplefeather, since obeying to the queen's orders is so important for you. I'll go see the Queen and we'll both come back here to clear out this situation. Until then, make sure the Queen's Scout here does not walk away."

He went directly to the queen, obviously in a bad mood.

"Your Highness. A soldier in the army got it into his head that because the Marshal suggested that we do not attack right now, we must be trying to take control of the Kingdom and get rid of you. Now, this is not only extremely insulting but it is also quite annoying since there's quite the mob standing in the middle of the camp while we might get attacked in any minute now, and they don't want to move, no matter what I tell them. If you could reassure them, it would help us alot."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: December 06, 2011, 05:24:47 pm »

"Very well. Lead on Kathos." Laythe walked out of the tent behind kathos, attended by her bodyguards, her 'Wounds' bandaged in bloodstained cloth.

"Alright, what the blazes is going on here?!"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: December 06, 2011, 05:38:28 pm »

((I guess Laythe always carry a flask of blood around in case of need. I'm actually not surprised. :P))

Sheb kneel in front of the Queen, visibly surprised at her bandage. He could swear she wasn't wearing them a few minutes ago.

"We were afraid something was afoul my Queen. We heard Marshal Nikephoros shout your orders down and calls your Grace in terms I would not dare repeat to your Grace. We also heard him order Sir Thunderblade to "Get you out of here" visibly upset by you taking over your rightful command.

When you add that the Marshal has been acting weird lately, and that he just killed the Arctic Fox... We started worrying for your Grace, many a monarch succumbed to the treason of her nobles. If you assure us everything is right, we will gladly turn back to our posts and follow your order, but please alleviate our fears and double your guard against possible traitors."

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: December 06, 2011, 05:54:13 pm »

((She didn't exactly leave the tent at all Sheb. Can't have seen the bandage at all :P Oh well.))

"The marshal was right for shooting down my orders. He is head of the military and I fully expect you to follow his orders. And if Thunderblade uttered that, it would be to get me away from our foes.

As for the fox, it was probably a mercy killing considering the extent of his injuries."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: December 06, 2011, 06:19:04 pm »

"The marshal was right for shooting down my orders. He is head of the military and I fully expect you to follow his orders. And if Thunderblade uttered that, it would be to get me away from our foes.
As for the fox, it was probably a mercy killing considering the extent of his injuries."

The Queen concedes to the authority of her Marshal.
Sheb and his fellow royalists have no choice but to stand down.
The Queen's authority is in tatters, however.

E: And what a jolly 2000th reply this is! Hip hip hooray, for this thread is now officially ridiculous in size!

The Siege of Mileth.

It is a dark night. Chaos reigns. No one is quite sure what is going on, who is doing what, and how things are supposed to work out. What they do know is: There is a battle to be done. The armies of the Dragon Empire have had enough; their general has been taken hostage, perhaps killed. They have their orders for this situation. And now, with the aid of the people of Mileth, they will enact them.
The Ligorians, after some internal strife, have organised themselves. They will hold the earthworks they dug against the Dragon Empire. Meanwhile, one of their number tries to sneak into the city, to cause chaos.

Tactics: The Dragon Empire has a +5 advantage in tactics over Ligoria. (6 tacticians*2+1 ambush upgrade*1 vs 3 tacticians*2+1 cav*1+1 PC tactics bonus*1)
Their attempt to split a heavy cavalry, pike, and tactictian unit from the Ligorian army auto-succeeds:
  Draconian forces make a feint out of the eastern gate, drawing a portion of the Ligorian army out. However, the Ligorians find themselves blundering around in the dark chasing an enemy which is not there. Meanwhile, the true battle is being held by the western gate.

Ligorian strength amounts to:

2str Heavy Tactician
1str fire/reach + Fear
2str heavy tact
2str heavy scout
1str(on def) Berserker
---
8 str

+1 def general
+1 defending earthworks
---
10 strength

Draconian strength amounts to

1str*2 Basic
1str*5 Tactician
1str Ambush tact
--
8 str

+Mileth
1str archer (on attack)
1str Scout
2str Heavy
--
12 str

Strength: 10 vs 12

Roll: [1+10 vs 3+12] = [11 vs 15]

Ligoria loses 2 points of strength; the Dragon Empire loses 1 point of strength.

Without support of their mightiest troops- who are distracted and unavailable on the other side of the city- the Ligorian army finds itself outnumbered and outmanoeuvred. Draconian forces slam against their earthworks, and cries of death fill the air. Politics are forgotten as the battle rages; the only talking to be done is the giving of orders, to be carried out without question.

Meanwhile.
Prepare to sneak into Mileth at the first opportune moment. Once inside, torch everything of consequence: Granaries, barracks, inns, whatever might cause disruption.
[1+1] You sneak towards the gates of Mileth. You can hear the battle beginning in the east; by entering through the western gate, you should avoid the bulk of the Draconian forces.
You stand before the barred gates, wondering how to get past them, when the gates open themselves. Unfortunately this is in order to give way to the soldiers who want to leave the city through it, and who would strenuously object to any attempts to infiltrate the city. [5] Fortunately, you manage to run off into the darkness without being seen, and you should be able to enter the city once the rush of men has died down.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:58:44 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: December 06, 2011, 08:17:46 pm »

Tala was no general, but she felt the battle was beginning to turn against them. Maybe it was in the indecision in the soldiers eyes, or merely her mood that sapped her will.

The Milethian soldiery was content to hammer away at the walls, with no care except to have the invaders driven from their lands. They attacked with a desperate, slow simmered anger-held in check while they were occuped, now unleashed.

The surge of Dragon Empire troops, on the other hand, were inflicting precise casualties, probing for weaknesses, then withdrawing. Even minor holes created in the defense line were seized upon with unnatural fury by their forces, calling much needed reinforcements to plug these gaps-which were then left to the Mileth, while the Dragon Empire troops moved with unnatural speed and precision to capitalize on the next breakthrough. Tala could even spot the captains of the squads-they wore red plumes on the back of their helmets.

Tala was at a loss for words. What part could she play here, except to die? Or worse, captured. Dragon Empire soldiers were no less cruel to captive women than any other army, especially without their general to control them.

Tala's only reprieve was her codename. If it reached the right ears, in time. She was not Ligorian-and had no intention of dying here, for glory or honor. As long as she found Pasha first, there would be time to escape-assuming he was not already slain.

For now, she could only watch and wait. Her sword was not yet drawn-until the end, at least.

She spoke in a voice that contained the barest hint of true fear, held in check.

"What do you see Nikephoros? What's going on out there?"
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:20:06 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: December 06, 2011, 08:28:47 pm »

Round 2
Same as the first.
With my +5 I will Split Forces, removing the Heavy II Cavalry, (2 total difficulty,) and the Heavy Pike (3 total difficulty), and then a Heavy/Tact unit(4 total Difficulty) and then a further Heavy/Tact unit. On a d6 roll I must match 1 or higher to succeed(Difficulty 5 with my bonus being +5). This removes 4 str (Heavy II Cavalry,) 2 str (Heavy Pike) and 4 str, (2xHeavy/tact)
Leaving things at , by my count, a 11 STR (7 regiments mine, +(3 Mileth Regiments) +1 (Heavy) vs.. 6 Str after they lose 4 regiments to my Tactics
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:31:00 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: December 06, 2011, 08:37:28 pm »

The battle was a mess. total and complete mess. all that bickering in the camp, it brought nothing but chaos. And now the lines were breaking. Tala was beside Nikephors, doing what she could, but their position was unsalvageable. Save for one option...

Tala, we need to get out. We need a messenger to every commander: that's Kathos, queen and Pasha and get them to retreat . We will have the remaining units cover us while we leave. nough damage was caused here....

Oh and here. This is Pasha's sword. You should be able to find him close to the Gates of Mileth. But don't go yourself. send a runner.

It was an ugly decision, but necessary one.

Every PC and their regiment are ordered to retreat. Every non-PC regiment stays behind to cover their retreat. Use Laythe's Cavalry to help cover the retreat. The unit is leaded by Alaria. Laythe is retreating with the rest of PCs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Heavy Tactician takes hit
Scout takes a hit.

Order for round 2: see above.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:50:40 pm by Ardas »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: December 06, 2011, 08:57:47 pm »

Tala took the sword in hand. If Pasha had given this blade to Nikephoros...he had never expected to come back.

Which meant...what exactly? She should retreat, yes. Why? In this dark night, many lives would be lost...maybe it was time for Tala Alanis to die, as well. How long had she waited for the chance? How close had she been? So many times...it was snatched from her...

"Right. I'll do...just that...hmm. Goodbye Nikephoros." She said, not explaining herself-merely turning away.

A few moments later, she was riding to the gates on Emerald herself.  Just a little more time...give me a little more time, she raved inwardly. All I need is a few more minutes! He'll be there. I know it.

Pashas armor clanked off the back of her horse, along with certain other personal effects...including a small chest. That was all.

Vespius and Veritas rode up in tow, wordlessly. Damn fools, Tala thought. Why must good men die on my behalf? Why am I so important to them? I am nothing, she though. A spy, a liar, a murder and a theif-mongrel child, daughter of a whore. The name they called her. What do they see in me, I do not?

"Vespius, Veritus-I release you from my service for the duration of the battle. This is not something you want to do. It's madness. I'm either rescuing Pasha...or I'm not coming back"

The two men had agreed though-for her, they would do this.

"No, my lady. This is something we've all wanted to do-for a long time. We'll not see you cast away like the Empire did the Arctic Fox-forgotten, and alone. That's all that awaits.

This last battle, we ride with you. We can all be free...once our last duty has been accomplished."

No words were needed after that. Tala accepted it. Gods grant her strength...and luck...just a little more...

Action: Tala rides to the Gates, to rescue Pasha from enacting his suicide mission. If successful, she rides off into the chaos of the night...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:00:37 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: December 06, 2011, 08:58:51 pm »

Kathos was an island of peace in a sea of chaos. Around him, the battle was raging on, but he was quiet, and not moving at all. He studied the battlefield with patience, often saying an order. His longsword was unsheated, for the first time in two years. Two words were written on the blade, in a language that nobody spoke in the north of the Storm Coast. He had only used it once  - an enemy soldier had sneaked behind the lines, trying to become a hero.
A runner arrived nearby and said a few words to Adrian. Adrian told Kathos about the message, and Khatos was displeased.

It was going to be his first major defeat. At least, he was not the commanding officer. Time to start working.

"Adrian, rally our men to the general, and from there retreat. Do not allow them to be split from the main force. I will be catching up with you in a few minutes."

Kathos mounted on his horse (the animal was trained for battles) and he charged towards the retreating regiments. Once he was near them, he started shouting orders, taunts and insults at every man he saw fleeing away from his regiment. He was trying to keep the troops in order while they were falling back, to prevent the retreat from turning into a rout. His voice was stronger than ever, and somehow soldiers seemed to hear him over the sound of the battle. He did this for as long as the battle could be seen.

Make sure the retreat does not turn into a rout ((by shouting at the soldiers and using the speechmaking skill))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: December 06, 2011, 09:11:09 pm »

Pasha stood silently in the shadows, awaiting a chance at the gate. It had closed when the units left, and he hadn't had time to sneak inside, but that was fine. He still had time. The battle had only just begun. Seeing nothing was changing at the doors, he glanced around for other activity... and that's when he saw her. He would recognize her from any distance, even with that hood on to obscure her apple-red hair in darkness. Why is she coming? I asked Nikephoros not to tell her where I've gone! I knew this would happen!

He advanced from the shadows to meet her, looking every bit the scruffy refugee as he approached her horse, but as he did so he gave a shrill whistle that she would recognize. They used to use it all the time... Her horse slowed to a stop near him. "Tala, what are you doing here? I..." his complaints died as she extended the hilt of the sword to him. ...Is it over? It must be, why else would she be returning my sword? He swallowed and looked around. Ligoria would retreat back to the south, so they had to head away. Shola, would be a good start.

He looked up at her. "Tala... are you sure this is what you want? If you come with me, you might lose everything... but by whatever Gods people worship, please say you will..." he said, touching her hand briefly. If it were any other occasion, he would be crying at the gesture... but he couldn't afford to now. Neither of them could.

Retreat with Tala towards Shola.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: December 06, 2011, 09:31:29 pm »

The Siege of Mileth.

Round 2

Ligoria makes to retreat; the commanders and their regiments retreat quickly, leaving the Queen's cavalry and its commander to hold back the DE.
The Dragon Empire does not grant the Ligorians their retreat; the battle continues, less the three regiments and their commanders.

Tactics: The Dragon Empire has a +8 advantage in tactics over Ligoria. (6 tacticians*2+1 ambush upgrade*1 vs 2 tacticians*2+1 cav*1)
Their attempt to split a heavy cavalry, pike, and two tactician units from the Ligorian army auto-succeeds.

Ligorian strength amounts to:

1str heavy scout (wounded)
---
1 str

+1 defending earthworks
---
2 strength

Draconian strength amounts to

1str Basic
1str*5 Tactician
1str Ambush tact
--
7 str

+Mileth
1str archer (on attack)
1str Scout
2str Heavy
--
11 str

Strength: 2 vs 11

Roll: [4+2 vs 3+11] = [6 vs 14]. Advantage >5; DE loses no strength.

Ligoria loses 2 (1 str remaining, all units (heavy scout) destroyed) points of strength ; the Dragon Empire loses 0 points of strength

The Dragon Empire singles out a unit of the Ligorian army, and crushes them utterly.
Their desire to pursue is sated, and the rest of the Ligorian army retreats, and begins the march back to Ligoria.

Tala and Pasha manage to sneak off into the night or whatever it is they are doing.

The Siege of Mileth has been resolved. The Dragon Empire has lost a single regiment, as well as their general. Ligoria lost their heavy scouts, and suffered damage to a heavy tactician. The Dragon Empire still holds Mileth.

There are, as of yet, no mechanics for partial damage. And I am not going to make up the rules here. So that unit will remain damaged until the rules for partial damage have been made, and then we will deal with that.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: December 06, 2011, 09:36:42 pm »

"Tala... are you sure this is what you want? If you come with me, you might lose everything... but by whatever Gods people worship, please say you will..."

She didn't say anything yet, but seemed calmed by his presence despite the battle raging around them. The screaming. The dying. The horror.

It didn't matter.

He was still alive.

They were together.

She hooked his hand in her own-feeling Pashas pulse, strong and steady, mingle with her own, which was more controlled, less strained, but held a note of fluttering, barely contained panic.

He quickly put on his armor. Then she helped him into the stirrups. Emerald did not seem to mind bearing the weight of them-and for that, the animal had her respect and thanks.

"Later, my love. We'll have time soon enough...all the time in the world. Just you and me."

She hied her horse toward where she knew the sun would rise, and took off like a storm unleashed from a bottle.

Just a little further...not very far now.

She felt, more than heard, one of the archers on the wall turn toward the fleeing pair with a baleful glare. He drew back his longbow. It would have been hard to miss. And he was a very good shot.

But, before he could fire-he heard a woman laugh. A rich toned...beautiful thing to hear. It reminded him of his own wife. He missed her.

The man had said something, he supposed-something funny. And who laughed in the middle of a battlefield? Either the mad...or those in love.

He lowered his bow, released the tension. No. Not them. Not that way.

The two shadows rode away, and the Archer grinned. He wished them well.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:39:14 pm by Dwarmin »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: December 06, 2011, 10:19:00 pm »

Of course, The couple's romantic ride into the sunset would be interupted by one injured scout in Ligorian armour...

"Tala? Is that you? Argh..."
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 220