Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231573 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Spring 416a)
« Reply #2010 on: December 06, 2011, 10:38:08 pm »

Adjutant Talarous El'Shirron surveyed the battlefield as the Ligorian troops retreated. He had taken a small wound to his arm and was bandaging it when he received word from a breathless messenger.

"Sir, we..we..we found the Arctic Fox."

Talarous followed the man back to a clear section of the earthworks. A tent had been there once, toppled in the chaos. A semi-circle of Draconian troops were arranged around a single body, helmets removed in reverence. It was the Arctic Fox, dead, his throat slit. The soldiers muttering amongst themselves. Talarous was quick to seize control of the situation.

"Bring me wood. As much as can be found."

Wood was quickly gathered, and constructed into a pyre. During this time, 3 soldiers led by Talarous lifted the Arctic Fox with great ceremony, and solemnly marched through the battlefield, gathering regiments like moths to a flame. Those hale and hearty supported those who were wounded, and all came to the pyre where the corpse was laid with dignity.

Talarous El'Shirron spoke loudly, with the voice of a man used to being heard above the din of battle.
"We knew when we left, we might not be returning home. We kissed our families goodbye and prayed that the Lady Most Kind would find that we had lived worthy lives in service to the Dragon Empire, and welcome us when we died.

Our leader, the Arctic Fox was insane. He honestly believed every second of the way that he could win. And what occurred? WE WON! . Not without cost, and not without hardship, but this has been a success that no one can deny. The Arctic Fox laid down his life for our victory, as so many of our comrades did as well.

Under a flag of peace, the Ligorians ambushed and killed him. Treachery most foul. But we will let the cowardly Ligorians flee. There is no reason to pursue them. Their dishonor will be well known throughout the lands. We... We will return home, to the Dragon Empire. And this insult will not go unanswered. Blood will be answered in blood.

There might not be any peace in life, But the Arctic Fox earned his in death. We offer the body and the fire upwards, to the Lady Most Kind."

A soldier stepped forward, shouting.
"Blessings of the Lord of the Overlooked upon you Arctic Fox!"
The less boisterous and loud soldiers approached the pyre in groups and singles, speaking their blessings as the body burned. Not a single soldier left the field till the body had been consumed by the fire, standing solemnly into the night until the last embers had cooled.

----
The Next Morning.
It was a sober quiet march out of Mileth, towards the northeast, and home. Adjutant Talarous was speaking with the Mayor, before departing with the rest of his forces.
"And that is that. The funds we took as taxes have been returned, or used to purchase supplies we will need to return home. We will enforce no claim on this city or its citizenry. And we wish you the greatest of fortune in the future. Ligoria may return, but I doubt in its ability to project its military force for some time.

Speak freely of what happened here. Or hide the knowledge. But now we will depart. I will ensure that if..nay, when we return, I will have a place in that command and your city will be avoided, or treated the same way The Arctic Fox did.

Gods watch over you."

With that Talarous left, joining the regiments departing Mileth. Returning home.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:04:41 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: December 07, 2011, 04:20:13 am »

There was a certain man that approached Talarous as he prepared to leave-one of the DE agents sent to assist the invasion.

"Sir. Your words did him honor."

He reached into his side bag and pulled out a small sheaf of papers.

"These are the written words and actions of the Arctic Fox in his last hours of life-collected by our agent in the enemies ranks. I have read them. I give them to you.

I am not a soldier like you, but we are alike in other ways. Make sure the words reach the highest ears-make sure they understand what went on here. Even after they have put us all to the sword, more likely than not, these words will not be forgotten-no matter how much they want them to. As you were, commander."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: December 07, 2011, 11:47:18 am »

Sheb was still surprised to be alive. Escaping the enemy was a child's play: a scout was supposed to be highly. He had heard the Marshal's orders for retreat, and it didn't take a genius to understand the Royal Guard was to be sacrificed -Old Nikephoros probably tough getting rid of the Queen's faithful would aid his path to the Throne- and Sheb just had to turn around and ride into the night, his officers to busy dying to notice.

No, the real threat was Sir Thunderblade. As he was riding left and right, trying to plug yet another hole in the Ligorian's defenses, he could see the cold hatred in the baron's eyes. Once or twice, he had seen Thunderblade mutter something to his guards while looking at him. At other time, the Baron had ordered his unit into hopeless battle that he only survived due to sheer luck. Ligoria wasn't safe anymore.

Of course there was the matter of his oath to the Queen. He had sworn to protect her and had risked his life to do so, opposing the Marshal. But she refused to see the truth. Such a pretty girl, such a shame...

For now he would ride away, but he swore to himself that one day, he'd come back and free her. Under her tomboyish looks and seemingly pointless outburst of violence, he knew she was in fact a delicate flower, waiting to be unfolded. She would be his princess.

Sheb will ride to Polca, where a new leader supposedly took over and where many opportunities were to be had.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:51:45 pm by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: December 07, 2011, 12:48:53 pm »

Secure a camp just outside the village limits. Send a man into the village to gather information on the local political climate. Terryn heads to the local tavern/inn to eavesdrop on conversation as well as partake in the pleasures of this port.
Seems you arrived in the town of Polca at a bad time. Some political upheaval took place recently, and the aftereffects of that are still shaking the town. You can't quite piece together what actually happened, and you get the feeling you aren't the only one- almost as if it hasn't been fully concluded yet. ((Wait for Filli and CG to finish off William's town-taking-over-plot first))

As the rays of dawn's first light cut through the thin slats of the tavern's windows, Terryn rolled out of the bed with a groan and a thud. As the sell-sword commander blearily stumbled to his feet fumbling with his trousers all the while, his companion for the night rolled over and murmured something. Terryn's response was swift: "Get out. I'm not paying you for another round, I haven't the coin."

The prostitute's lavender eyes widened, and within a moment Sir Terryn Selgvyrdson was alone once more. Bracing himself against the window sill, the young man ran a set of calloused fingers through his fiery hair before staggering to the chamber pot to retch. Nearly an hour later, garbed in his leather armor, Terryn stepped into the common room where his men had gathered, coming in from the camp for their first warm breakfast in weeks.

"What've you gathered?" he queried Bjorn first and foremost. The bear of a warrior scratched at his chin, and took a sip from his mug before deigning to reply, "Not much t'be honest. Summat 'bout a fire, summat 'bout the castle maybe. Townsfolk're quiet 'bout it all. Tight lips." Terryn swallowed back the taste of bile, and licked his lips before giving a small shrug. "I would've expected you to dig around a bit more, this is potential work we're talking about." The mercenary shrugged, and turned back to the freshly baked bread he had been munching on.

One hand idly resting on the pommel of his tarnished longsword, Terryn left his men in the tavern. Bjorn may have been useless as far as information-gathering went, but he was confident that the man would maintain a semblance of order. And if not, Ian and Oswald might be trusted. For now, it looked like he would be doing the information-gathering on his own.

Terryn wanders around Polca, making small talk with the locals in search of the following info: The current political state of Polca, potential work opportunities, the current military strength of Polca, as well as any other miscellany information he may come across. He also seeks answers as to what went on the night before he arrived.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:07:38 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: December 07, 2011, 03:28:57 pm »

The day after the battle, Avitus finally decided to do something he had been putting off for a long time. He sat behind his desk, got a piece of the finest parchment, and his silver encrusted quill to write a letter.

To his majesty the Duke of Vasir,

My lord, and friend, I have been without giving you news for too long a time. I hope that, two years after the unfortunate events that saw me banished from my home, you can find in yourself the kindness to accept my apology, and to reestablish a dialogue that was once so nourished an intelligent.
    You know my father and me always served our country and your family with an almost religious dedication. If you were not already informed, I now serve Ligoria's queen, and am at the time I write this letter regenting the Kingdom for the duration of the war. Speaking of which, I would humbly request that you consider establishing a more serious diplomatic exchange between our countries. If wou would like to send a diplomat or a representative from the Trader's Guild, he will be treated like my own family.

Ps: about family. I hope my younger brother is doing all right. Maybe one day I'll be allowed to visit my home again.
                                     Your servant until the grave, Avitus Traianus, Earl of the Western Shires.

He sighed, sealed the letter as slowly as he could, an finally accepted to let it be delivered to Vasir.
Send a letter to the Duke of Vasir

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: December 07, 2011, 04:41:22 pm »

It was the morning after the battle. Emerald had her reins tied to a low branch of the tree he and Tala were sleeping under. Or rather, she was sleeping, her head on his shoulder as both sat with their backs to the tree. He was trying to think of what to say when she awoke. As he saw it, she had only two options before her. If she stayed with him, she would be severing all of her connections: Ligoria would think her dead and probably seize the assets she had been granted, and if the Dragon Empire knew she was still alive, well, he didn't know how they would react. He didn't know enough about them. Would they still want her? She would no longer be spying on Ligoria for them, but maybe she would still be useful to them. Either way, Matthew would come looking for them, and he would have to deal with that. Or she could go back to Ligoria, and deal with the political upheaval of a failed war, which he was sure he couldn't grasp the full repercussions of himself. He didn't doubt there would be a lot of lost faith in the government by Talama's people, at the very least.

He didn't know what he would do. He would be happy if she came with her, but the smarter choice would probably be to return to Ligoria. As for himself, where would he go? He had a ducat to his name; maybe he could take up the life of a merchant for awhile, carrying goods from one place to another until he could afford a boat and so forth. There were also people who always needed an officer, and he could do that. There were people who always needed a saboteur, and he could do that. And there was a certain woman who needed him by her side... and he could do that. He reached down gently and brushed some hair from her face, tucking it behind her ear.

So... which way? Mileth wasn't an option; the remnants of the Arctic Fox's forces were probably still there, and he didn't want to get tangled up with them for the time being. He had been heading towards Shola merely because it was the closest town; from there he could hop ship to Polca, or Dalannor, or Galem, or Moun, or even back to the Lowlands... but he didn't want to go that far southeast. He certainly wasn't going to risk bringing her with him if he went back that way. Then, there was the face he could go back to Ligoria with her and try to help her with the situation there, although he was sure Matthew was not going to be happy about seeing him around again. There was a city north, although he didn't know the name of it off-hand.

Well... no use thinking about it alone. He leaned down and kissed her forehead. "It's a new day, love. You wouldn't want it to pass by without you, would you?" he asked with a smile.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: December 08, 2011, 03:38:44 am »

Insert the end of William's events here

Williams share of the taxes collected from the people, minus bribes and other debts the Lordship must maintain, came to 3.38d. (27d*.5(bribes)*.25) This now puts William into temporal alignment of the rest of the world.

Sheb will ride to Polca, where a new leader supposedly took over and where many opportunities were to be had.

((See below))

He also seeks answers as to what went on the night before he arrived.

((Answers both posts with the same information as to the current state of Polca.))

The information previously gained about Polca's change in leadership turns out to be inflammatory and inaccurate. There are few accurate reports of the events that transpired over the winter. [3] The most most common reports are as follows:

A small group of men entered town late one night off a ship anchored in the port. They proceeded to head around town lighting the guardhouse on fire. They susequently helped put OUT the fire, which people find hard to believe, at the price of locking up the guards for the remainder of the evening. The group then disappeared into the Lord's Manor after killing his door guards. No one knows what happened after this, simply that the group was gone by morning. The Lordship is still alive, and has made little comment to the events of that night.

Terryn wanders around Polca, making small talk with the locals in search of the following info: The current political state of Polca, potential work opportunities, the current military strength of Polca, as well as any other miscellany information he may come across.

[2] The military strength of Polca is almost non-existant. Lordly decrees of recruitment have been assigned. With the coming of the new year, more guards will likely be raised. [4] This, of course, leaves an opening for mercenary work. Inquiries should be directed to the Guard Captain. [5] There is also apparently a merchant caravan headed to Vasir through Galam, pay is [1] an underwhelming .25d, but likely will have other work afterwards.

Send a letter to the Duke of Vasir

The Duke replies with the following:

Spoiler: Return Letter (click to show/hide)
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: December 08, 2011, 08:38:20 am »

He leaned down and kissed her forehead. "It's a new day, love. You wouldn't want it to pass by without you, would you?" he asked with a smile.

Tala didn't want to open her eyes, at first. She heard his voice...felt his chest rising and falling under her...smelled his particular odour (Tala knew the musky scent of his brand of shaving soap he used better Pasha himself did)...but, she was still afraid when her eyes opened, he wouldn't be there-almost as if by the mere fact of wanting to believe it so much would make fate play that cruel final trick on her.

Her breathing became more steady as she rose from sleep..

"This isn't a dream, is it, Pasha?" She said groggily, eyes still closed.

Tala's hands found purchase on Pasha's shoulders, as if he might float away from her if she let him go.

"Please tell me I'm not dreaming, darling..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile...

The retreating Ligorians have begun to march home. They move in eerie, depressing silence-and as if the Gods have not punished them enough for their arrogance-a cold, heavy rain falls upon the army, turning the march into a slog through muddy roads, though not enough to inhibit their progress overmuch. Such conditions would break lesser men...but these are not lesser men. Simply put-they endure.

They have begun to count their losses. Notable among those not found in the retreating host are the Nobless Tala Alanis and her Tactician Pasha Dolgrouki, and Scout Captain Wilheim...what conjecture there is has them lying together somewhere in a shallow mass grave around the city of Mileth, along with many of their countrymen.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: December 08, 2011, 09:37:03 am »

Nikephoros was riding on his horse, leading his column of soldiers. They were slogging though mud, enduring the rain as it poured over the army.
No one said anythying. Everyone was simply too numb and confused as to how and what happened. Nikephoros barely spoke to his men, except to give an order there and there to maintain the formation. After the body count, it became apparent that Tala and Pasha were gone. Another two souls that he doomed without as much as a thought. Maybe they were alive? It was foolish to hope for anything like that. He had more than enough to answer for, and Nikephoros did not know whether he would be given a chance to redeem himself. 

Death is always one step behind you - the lot of a soldier. Nikephoros realised that many years ago, after Ara passed away.

They met on a warm spring day as Nikephoros was passing through a small village with his sellsword band. At first it was a typical interaction between a mercenary and a simple peasant girl. She was helping out in the local tavern and Niko was all too eager to stay there. But he found himself passing through that village more and more often, first with his firends, then alone. And instead of a tavern, he begun visiting Ara.
It was far from the mad passion of star-crossed lovers or the romantic longing that one finds in your typical play, but rather that simple, unburdened emotion that one hopes to experience in their life.

Nikephoros smiled. He remebers clearly seeing her tending to the animals as he was walking towards her homestead. Her parents at first resented the foreign ruffian "harrasing" their daughter, but Niko, as the villagers begun to call him, grew on them as he stayed and begun helping out with the work on the farm.

It was liberating, to drop the sword and to pick up the plough, to make ground fertile and to bring plants to life. The honest work and the joy of staying close to Ara eclipsed anything that mercenary life has offered to Niko so far. He informed his captain and declared the end to his sellsword career. Or so he thought. Come next spring, He was called upon by his captain to rejoin his unit, and while at first deciding against it, he nonetheless followed, lured by the talk of money to be offered. "This would be your last job", he was told. Ara, already close to her labour, begged him to stay.

Nikephoros lost his smile. His heart was aching again.
He remembers that pain as his shield was shattered and his arm twisted in an unnatural way. It was a day juast as this one, with water, mud and blood. He lost consciousness and was found several days later by a couple of monks who taken to burying the bodies. They helped him get his arm back in shape, but they could not help him with anything else.
Racing back to the village, Niko heard the grim news. after the defeat, niko was lost and assumed dead. Ara, heartbroken and exhausted by childbirth passed away. The baby passed away shortly after her mother of an unknown reason.

The Marshal started sobbing quietly. But no one saw it, with wind and rain in their faces.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: December 08, 2011, 10:15:19 am »

It was at that short time of day when noon had passed yet the sun still had not set that Sir Terryn sought out his men. They had since moved from the tavern to their small encampment, and as their commander made his way through the rugged and make-shift tents the men paused, looking to him expectantly. Sir Terryn Selgvyrdson idly wrapped his fingers around the once-bejeweled pommel of his longsword, made desolate long before it had found its way to his hands by way of his mentor, and addressed his hedge brothers: "I go to speak with the Lord of this place, or if he will not treat with me then his Captain. This place has seen battle recently, and we should find work here. I should return by the morrow, if not sooner. Donald, Ian, Oswald, you will accompany me. I expect the rest of you to act honorably while I am gone. No theft, no murder, no rape." With that, he turned and stalked off, the three men on his heels.

Terryn, accompanied by three of his men, travels to the Lord's Manor. He seeks a meeting with the Lord of Polca regarding a job. If he cannot meet with the Lord despite his best efforts, he will settle for the guard captain.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: December 08, 2011, 11:35:36 am »

Mmmmh... Interesting. If a few men could take over the city, maybe he could too... Rumours said a band of mercenaries had pitched their tent outside the city wall, and he still had one ducat. But to tell the truth, he had no idea how to proceed, and security must have been improved since the last coup...

However, a man that managed to take over a city from nothing was exactly the kind of person he wanted to be. He HAD to meet him.

I'll go in the harbor, interrogating people about the strange ship the men came from. If the ship isn't there, I'll try to learn where he went.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: December 08, 2011, 01:13:03 pm »

William had left the building in a almost euphoric mood, the guards had let him pass at their lordships request. Several of them look pissed, which he would have found funny, if he didn't feel guilty about killing those three men.

At sea:
Nope, no crimson flag.
"Well, Captain, didn't look like that lunatic succeeded. You owe me a goldpeice."
The ship sails back to the island.

Later:
William had collected his regiment from the guardhouse, his regiment unlocked and gave them the keys to the cell that contained their weapons, before heading to an abandoned and much decrepit block of houses inside of town. The sixty five men of his regiment weren't very comfortable, and most of them didn't bring their tents. The ship that was loaned to him had sailed back, he knew this much. So now he and his men needed a place to sleep.
First things First.

One of William's men, dressed in regular civilian clothes, searches for a buyable cheap place that can hold them all comfortably. Preferably a mansion or other large building.

Another of William's men dressed in civilian clothing, anonymously donates the .88d to the families of the men that died. If all of them didn't have a family, then he donates it to repair the damages to the guardhouse.

Another of William's men ((God I say that quite a bit)) deliver the below message to the lord.

Another investigates how the houses are built- if they are hovels or just small but well-kept -, where most of the gangs are located, and how much the civilians hate or dislike the gangs.

From now on all of his [William's] lackeys and soldiers will call him Lord Will Sarturi in private and public.The people who call him Will- the ones he fought beside - can still call him that. But they may not call him Blackrose or Varaum anymore.

Quote from: Letter from Will “Sanguine” Sarturi
Hello again,
I would like to ask you what are your laws on criminal treatment, before I go after the gangs.
I wouldn't want to break the law when bringing them in.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:46:56 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: December 08, 2011, 02:35:31 pm »

"It's no dream, love. I'm here." Pasha smiled at her, then looked up and laughed. "I didn't realize how tired we must have been. It's almost noon." The large tree, alone in the field, was still adequate shade and shelter for the moment, but they couldn't stay there forever. At the very least, they would need to grab something to eat soon. Scout Captain Wilhelm, as far as he knew, was still asleep on the other side of the tree, although their talking was probably waking him up. Well. Not much he could do about that, and the man was injured. He'd feel bad if he just left him behind, so he might as well wake up now. He might want to have a say in the upcoming discussion.

"I've been awake a little while... watching you sleep and thinking. Thinking about... which way should we go?" He turned his eyes back to meet hers. "It's an extremely important decision, and I didn't want to make it alone. There's still time to go back to Ligoria, if you want. Or we could head east, past Mileth and towards Moun, although I'd prefer not to. To the north is a city-state I'm not familiar with... and the Dragon Empire is northeast. And westward, there's Polca, Shola, Vasir, Galam... we could even take a ship back to Dalannor if that's what you want." He kissed her forehead a second time. "Tala, I've thought about this since you came to me last night with the retreat orders... if you hadn't, I might have been able to leave you, but I don't think I could manage it anymore. I don't care where you want to go, I just want to go there with you."

He took one her hands between his and waited to hear her thoughts.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: December 08, 2011, 03:17:15 pm »

She opened her eyes, and inclined her head upwards to meet his gaze. The view made her want to weep. Not a dream, after all...Tala had a thought that many people would pay any price to be looked at in this way, but it was the one thing you could never buy. And, it was all hers.

She shuffled a bit, letting her hair down with her left hand, in those apple-red waves as she undid the military style knot that she done during the battle. She noticed Pasha approved.

"Well, it comes down to two things.

Either we head away from Ligoria-and cast away all ties here, becoming truly free, answering to no one but ourselves. The world will be ours to travel. Ah, the places we go...even if they chase us, as some might-they'll never catch us. We will always be one step ahead of them. One day, we'll settle down. I've always loved horses. Maybe we could run a ranch...it's where we might have ended up, I guess, if we had been a more traditional couple...oh, to Hell with tradition, though. We'll have a hundred horses-all named after gemstones, of course. Lots of land to ride in...lots of room for children to play on..."

Tala wanted that happy future-just him and her (maybe just a few dozen children), safe and happy-but it was so far away...the hardship would be long. And fate might not spare them a second time. But it was such a sweet thought, she could not yet deny it. Reason followed, if they were together now, they would be together always. Yes.

She thought for a moment.

"Or, we head back to Ligoria...but, things will be different this time, Pasha. If we choose to go back, I would have to settle down with you. Even though my...duties would continue, I would no longer be sundered from you.

I have been too selfish up till now-enjoying your company, but letting you suffer by keeping myself apart. No more. I'm not going to let myself be shared anymore...from now on-I'm with you, in public and private. Not only us-the World will know. You will have me-to have and to hold...for richer and poorer..."

She smiled, letting the words sink in-imagining the elegant wedding they would have together. Her...job, would continue-but it would have to do so without using her nature as a single, available woman. And why couldn't it? The Dragon Empire could not know easily remove her without exposing their own actions. They would accept her decision. Matthew on the other hand...

Ah, no need to think about him right now.

Her tone become a trifle humorous.

"Also...the richer part won't be so bad. As my spouse, you would become a noble as well-equal to me in all ways...well, marrying me is not so bad then, is it not? All that money. Even when all my pretty red hair falls out and my fine skin becomes akin to leather armor, you will still have a mountain of ducats to spend on flowers for young pretties..."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: December 08, 2011, 04:05:30 pm »

Pasha smiled. It was his turn to wonder if it was a dream, and he tried to buy time to fully realize the implications with humor. "I believe it's normally the man that does the proposing... But we're not conventional people, are we?" This was a huge step. He would be giving up the road and all the freedom that came with it... but in return he could finally settle down in a place called home, with a woman he loved, and perhaps feel safe for the first time in his life. Between marrying her or going on alone, the choice was astoundingly obvious.

"Well by the time your hair falls out and your skin is leathery I imagine I too will be hairless and wrinkled. We'll be old and ugly together. I wouldn't have it any other way." He ran a hand through her hair and pulled her a little closer, content to just sit in the shade and hold her for the moment... and imagine their future. It would be nice to stop moving, to accept a life in one place. Ligoria did offer safety of a sort, and maybe he could start over again with Nikephoros. They had gotten off to a bad start but before they parted ways it almost seemed as if they understood each other.

"If we head back to Ligoria we could probably start the ranch now," he said teasingly. "Why wait?" Pasha turned slightly to where Wilhelm was. "Wake up, you old sod, I need a witness here." Wilhelm grudgingly yawned, clearly still not feeling up to his best from his injuries, and came around the tree as Pasha reached into his cuirass and removed a necklace with a small, intricately designed pendent hanging from it. "My mother gave this to me a long time ago. It's an Elbrethan good-luck charm, and it's kept me safe so far," he said as he looked at it.

"Until we can pick out a ring it'll have to do. Lady Alanis... Tala... will you marry me?" he asked, offering the silver filigree chain towards her in his palm.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 220