Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231954 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Autumn 415a)
« Reply #825 on: October 25, 2011, 03:12:05 pm »

"Did whoever recruit you give you papers?"
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 25, 2011, 03:31:30 pm »

"Uh...Yeah he gave me papers."
Thomas shows the papers to the guard.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 25, 2011, 03:42:50 pm »

"The scouts will stay in the area for some time and report on every single move these nobles may do. I'm taking my regiment back"
"Yes general."

How on earth these lands are unclaimed? Oh yeah, the neighbouring countries are pathetic and Ligoria was incompetently ruled. Nikephoros was sometimes amazed by the bizzare political arrangements of this land. But he knew change was at hand.

Return to the capital wih my regiment. Leave the scouts in the area to let the nobles know they are being watched.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 25, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »

"Uh...Yeah he gave me papers."
Thomas shows the papers to the guard.

The guard snatches them out of Thomas's hand and reads through them.
"Sounds like that pipsqueak Herald."
He lights a candle and holds up the paper to it. You can see several gibberish watermarks appear. He copies down the information on another piece of paper. Then, without warning, the man lights the paper on fire and throws it into a clay bowl. He waits patiently for it to burn and then pulls a small black stone out of his pocket and moves it around. You see a fine grey dust clinging to the stone.
"All right. OPEN THE GATES."
A guard peers over the battlements, he makes eye contact with Thomas, shrugs and then does so.
The gates open to show a small castle, filled with professional looking soldiers, a black rose is being painted over every old motif and old sign in the castle.  The workers look cowed by the soldiers, who eye them with open hostility.
The gates slam shut behind you. And another uniformed man walks up, the other soldier's eye this man with distaste, but avoid him.
"Ah...Hello." He takes your note and reads through it. Before nodding and signalling you to follow him. Which you do, because the guards turn their look of hostility on you and your guard.
When you arrive in the lobby, you are handed a sealed envelope, a key and a rose-shaped black medallion.
"The Envelope is sealed orders from Lord William, who is not here right now. The key is to your room, its in the second tallest tower. The medallion...declares your authority around Vale and this castle. Anything else you need or any questions?"

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 25, 2011, 04:03:37 pm »

"No, I think that will be quite fine. If you don't mind, I'll be off to inspect my room and open the envelope and read its contents."
Thomas made way to his room in the second-tallest tower so that he could... inspect it. And he... opens the envelope... and he reads its contents...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 25, 2011, 04:42:19 pm »

"No, I think that will be quite fine. If you don't mind, I'll be off to inspect my room and open the envelope and read its contents."
Thomas made way to his room in the second-tallest tower so that he could... inspect it. And he... opens the envelope... and he reads its contents...

After climbing up several stairways you arrive at your room.
Your room is quite spacious- at least for a tower- and brightly lit. It has a smooth pinewood floor, a stone fireplace with a crackling fire, and two glass windows.
It contains a bed with fresh sheets, a wardrobe in the corner, a chest with the key stuck in the lock, a solid looking chair near a desk and a large bookshelf with gold ornamentation attached to the north wall.

Quote from: Letter from William
Hello. Welcome to Castle Vale. I know it's not much but it will soon be bigger and stronger then any in the region...and that's where you come in...your officially the Mayor Of Vale. Congratulations, yadda yadda. Your job may be a bit boring right now, but the city-much like the castle- will rapidly expand.
Your job right now is too oversee excavation of the tunnel at the end of the catacomb, research on something or someones called "The Deep Ones"(try the local church library. bring a few guards.), figure out somewhere to put a dragon skeleton,  and uh...perhaps a few other things I may think of.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 25, 2011, 05:15:46 pm »

"I could only guess that you've called me to discuss the relationship between Ligoria and the nations of Hatcur, diplomat. Worry not, Hatcur, at least not the parts ruled directly by the Emperor, do not wish to harm this nation or the Storm Coast in general."

University? Retcyl did not remember anything about a university. Nor about this one's role. But time to dance the dance of speeches and knives...Hopefully there wasn't any poison in the food. He wasn't daft...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:18:57 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 25, 2011, 07:34:28 pm »

Dinner had arrived. Avitus took a good bite out of his steak. "I'm glad that your Empire does not have any bad intentions towards the Storm Coast. But I have a few questions for you, indeed. Firstly, what do you want from Ligoria? And secondly, why would a diplomat such as yourself serve our Queen with so much enthusiasm?. He raised his glass an took a sip of Ligorian wine.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 25, 2011, 08:22:28 pm »

"Well to answer your first question, my benefactors simply want to reconnect with the rest of the world. As you may know, the only regular visitors from Hatcur are the scholar-priest of Oritzium. We have no traders, no diplomats, no embassies, no allies. Hatcur is isolated. With isolation, comes pride and tradition. With too much of this, we start to believe that we are unbeatable, invincible, and superior in every way. That's simply not true; we did not even learn of this black powder until the priest Locanil returned to his native land. Even worse, I've already seen something we don't have that's common here, keys!"

Retcyl paused to gulp down some wine. Was this actually Ligorian? Tasted different.

"You see, Hatcur needs to change, and that's why we're here. Well, there is the matter of establishing a trade route here, but that will happen in time."

Retcyl stayed silent for a bit to nibble at his steak. Tasted different from the meat of cows back in his home. They were bigger and tougher at home.

"And about me serving the queen...It's simply to improve relations and not get killed due to simple racism. Hopefully by improving relations with leaders, we can improve relations with the people. I would like to help the people here, but your queen is not allowing me to do so."

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 26, 2011, 03:10:27 am »

Thomas had finished reading his orders. He was quite happy to be trusted with the castle, but he scoffed a bit at the prospect of having to find a dragon skeleton. "Dragons? They don't exist... Do they? No matter." Thomas had his orders and he reminded himself that he was being paid, housed, and protected for following them. While William was away, Thomas spent most of his time in the Library researching these "Deep Ones" that William had mentioned. He read through dozens of books, hoping to find even just a mention of them. Because he didn't expect to find a dragon, Thomas didn't waste much time in the catacombs. The men there already had their orders, and Thomas would go down once each day to get a report and to direct their efforts. There wasn't much to do, so Thomas would occasionally hide away somewhere safe and non-flammable (in the catacombs, perhaps) to practice his magic on a very small scale -- just manipulating a candle's flame. Not even his loyal guard that Harold had given him, Jack Imhupp, was allowed to follow him while he was practicing, and he would only go down at night when the workers weren't working. Thomas didn't want to risk anyone knowing of his talent before he could speak with William and decide what kind of man he is. Thomas thought that, perhaps, William would be accepting of his magic -- he might consider it useful. He then dismissed the idea, telling himself that he shouldn't even consider it until the two men meet.

So, to summarize, three actions are being done.
Thomas tries to find information about Deep Ones in the library.
The excavation continues.
Thomas begins to practice his magic (specifically, control) in secret.

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 26, 2011, 05:23:55 am »

Avitus refilled both glasses before continuing: "You must understand that her Majesty would rather see the poor of Ligoria be grateful to her, their rightful leader, than to a stranger. But I am sure we can find a way to help you reduce the general xenophobia in town while letting the Palace handle charity." He observed a pause to chew a big chunk of beef. "I would be honored to discuss the establishment of a trade route between Talama and Hactur, you undoubtedly know it would greatly benefit a small nation like ours. Are there any commodities in particular you wish to import from us? If it is foodstuffs you're looking for,  everything you're eating tonight is a hundred percent Ligorian."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 26, 2011, 05:35:57 am »

"That is good to here, and that would be a good part of the arrangement, but that is not what my faction really wants right now. Currently, we want a trade of ideas, ideals, people. Especially locksmiths. But I understand that the Empire as a whole requires actual resources...We need sources of tin, copper, cotton, and grain. Course, only as a whole. Every nation and city-state has something they want...The Emperor's own lands have a dire need for labourers."

Ligorian wine; a delicate thing. Retcyl sipped and ate more of the steak. Soft, tender...He was starting to think that the creatures they called cows back at home was a different creature altogether.

"What would Ligoria wish in return? Hatcur has much to trade."
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 26, 2011, 06:59:36 am »

Thomas tries to find information about Deep Ones in the library.
I keep telling you, this isn't some craaaazy religion I've made up on the spot. This is Taloisism, the dominant relgion up and down the whole of the Storm Coast, and even into parts of Udan. Which is not to say that it is as dominant as, say, Catholicism was in medieval europe- plenty of people are not Taloisists. But most people are, and the general background of the religion should be well known to anyone in the civilized world.

The Deep Ones (AKA the Great Beasts), then, are the boogeymen of Taloisism. Once the entire world was darkness and water, and the Deep Ones ruled, and mankind suffered. Then the Bright One (God) created the sun, and banished the Deep Ones with its light. Then some craaaazy shit happened, and nowadays the Sun is actually the sun MKII, after the first was destroyed by Deep Ones and treacherous humans, then turned into the land. The Moon is a fake sun created by the Deep Ones to lure humans into the darkness of the night, when they are strong. The stars are fragments of the First Sun, and falling stars/meteorites are fragments of the Second Sun, and therefore deemed holy.
The Deep Ones are currently sealed away in the darkest depths of the world, from whence they are trying to escape. The Deep Ones come in many different shapes and sizes; sea serpents, kraken, leviathans, dragons, that sort of thing. Great Beasts, you know?. Some Deep Ones are said to have eaten fragments of the First Sun, giving them a portion of its power (ex. a Dragon's firebreath).

This is general knowledge; most anyone in the Storm Coast or surrounding areas should know about this, vaguely. Further research into the Deep Ones reveals the following:

-In the town now known as Vale, there is a story told that many years ago, the Lord of the castle found a dormant Deep One underground. It is said that when he found it, the Deep Ones spoke to him, and offered him great power if he would leave their brother in peace. It is said that the Lord accepted, and that he lived to be 144 years old, and could strike men down just by looking at them. The local Taloisist Church was not amused when they heard this, and ever since then, they have searched for this Deep One, in order that they may destroy it, to prevent them from returning to the surface.
-Some theologians have hypothesised that the Bright One was himself a Deep One, who turned against his brethren for reasons unknown.
-It is known that dolphins and whales are the descendants of men who would not leave the sea when the Bright One created the land. Some theologians suggest that they serve the Deep Ones, and that their song is a means of communicating with them in their dark abysses. From this arises the theory that the Deep Ones communicate through music.
-Some people suggest that the Hacturi are as to Humans as the Moon is to the Sun- a fake copy, created by the Deep Ones to subvert Humanity.
-A ridiculously long list of named Deep Ones. Too many consonants and apostrophes.

The excavation continues.
[4] The workmen dig away without trouble. The dungeons grow. No more skeletons yet, though. (The current skeleton is left to sit in a storage room somewhere).

Thomas begins to practice his magic (specifically, control) in secret.
[2] You light yourself on fire. Fortunately you manage to extinguish the flames before they do too much damage, and only end up with a few light burns.

Return to the capital wih my regiment. Leave the scouts in the area to let the nobles know they are being watched.
You do so. The nobles are watched.
Long Live United Forenia!

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 26, 2011, 12:44:48 pm »

Leave and rally half a regiment. Max Yeskly leaves to rally his troops. He would crush this once and for all. Hide short swords in the folds of thier regular clothing. He then infiltrates at night and sneaks into the church. They silently incapacitate anyone there and loot its treaseury.
(sorry that I havent been on. This many actions is in case I cant be on later.)
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 26, 2011, 02:03:45 pm »

"I haven't studied the trade records of this city deeply enough to know for sure, but I'll send you any figures I come up with as soon as possible. As for ideas and skills, I am sure you already build a strong network for them here in Talama. An I might ask you to use it for me, if you could just slip word that I'm in search of a engineer, an alchemist and maybe a... ahem... thief or a spy to fulfill part time teaching positions at the university."
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 220